Job Reference: SDA/WA/08/2023
AGRA and its Work
AGRA is an African-led institution that actively supports the drive towards inclusive agricultural transformation and sustainable food systems. We do this by empowering the continent’s 33 million smallholder farming households to transform their agriculture from a struggle to survive to profitable businesses. The continent’s farmers regularly face challenges, and we aspire to provide uniquely African solutions that respond to their agricultural and environmental challenges, leading to increased harvests for reduced hunger and more income.
Working in alignment with the development priorities of our focus countries, we enable farmers to access improved and high-yielding seeds, gain knowledge on sustainable farming, and linkages to profitable markets.
In our work, we aspire to build the alliances, partnerships, and networks required to drive an inclusive agricultural transformation. We work with our partners to create an equitable youth-friendly environment that harnesses the youth dividend on the continent to drive growth and facilitate open employment opportunities for young women and men. We achieve our key objectives through a focus on the following four areas of intervention:
- Policy and state capability – We support governments in creating an enabling environment for private sector involvement in agricultural transformation.
- Seed systems – We trigger higher productivity by increasing the availability and access to improved seeds by farmers allowing them to increase their harvests for food security and better incomes.
- Sustainable farming – We support farmers in building resilient farming systems for sustained high yields through interventions such as mechanization and irrigation.
- Inclusive markets and trade – We work to increase the linkages between farmers, and other market actors for a positive, sustained cycle of commercialization and reinvestment.
AGRA’s 2030 Strategy
The continent has, in recent years, taken steps towards inclusive agricultural transformation resulting in notable improvements in food security, with clear progress across all AGRA’s focus countries. However, with over 20% of Africans still suffering from hunger, we need to accelerate our progress and mitigate against the growing external pressures of conflict and climate on our food systems.
AGRA 2022-2030 Strategic Framework (SF2030) demonstrates our long-term vision for how we intend to contribute to, and align with, global and continental priorities, applying a food systems lens towards the goals of zero hunger, improved nutrition, an end to poverty, and climate adaptation. We have split our Strategic Framework 2030 into two 5-year strategies so that we have a clear mid-way point to evaluate progress and re-route our strategic focus if necessary. Our 2023-2027 Strategic Plan sets out to catalyze the growth of sustainable food systems across Africa by influencing and leveraging partners to build a robust enabling environment where the private sector thrives, and smallholders are empowered to produce sufficient, healthy food.
To contribute to a food system-inspired inclusive agricultural transformation across Africa, to reduce hunger, improve nutrition, and adapt to climate.
To catalyze the growth of sustainable food systems across Africa by influencing and leveraging partners to build a robust enabling environment where private sector thrives, and smallholder farmers are empowered to produce sufficient, healthy food.
- Empowering and building the resilience of small holder farmers
- Supporting the development of inclusive markets and finance to strengthen agricultural systems.
- Strengthening state capability to sustain agricultural transformation.
Implementing Our New Strategy Through People
AGRA is at the threshold of a new chapter where we begin implementing our new strategy of catalyzing inclusive, resilient and sustainable agricultural transformation. At AGRA we believe Agriculture is the single greatest opportunity to deliver inclusive economic growth, jobs, and health to the African continent.
People are the heart of our organisation and remain the true drivers of our delivery and our impact.
We are excited about a new fit-for-purpose organizational structure that is largely driven by an ambition to enhance collaboration across teams and drive sustainable growth. We have therefore purposed more focus on delivery of country programs within the new strategy giving even greater attention to optimizing existing talent in addition to upscaling technical and operational resources.
We work with incredible people and partners who have roots in farming communities across the continent combined with an inclusive and diverse workforce from over 24 nationalities. Our values of (I-RISE; Integrity, Respect, Innovation, Stewardship and Equity) espouse our commitment to a call to action to go beyond ourselves as we arise and transform Africa’s Agriculture.
We are looking for people who are passionate about Africa, curious and collaborative to join our innovative, growing, and multidisciplinary team. Together, we can grow Africa’s food systems improving the livelihoods of smallholder farmers. Want to join us?
Specialist, Data Analytics West Africa. Job Reference: SDA/WA/08/2023
This position will leverage data to generate insights, drive informed decision-making, and support organizational goals and objectives. The specialist plays a critical role in managing and analyzing data to extract valuable information, identify patterns and trends, and provide actionable recommendations to improve business performance, efficiency, and effectiveness. Additionally, by applying statistical techniques, data modelling, and advanced analytics, this position will uncover meaningful insights that can inform strategic planning, resource allocation, process optimization, and performance measurement.
The Specialist – Data and Analytics (WA) will manage and analyze data to provide valuable insights and support informed decision-making. The specialist will work closely with cross-functional teams to ensure data accuracy (through effectuating data standards and protocols), develop analytical models, and deliver actionable recommendations to drive business growth and efficiency. S/he will be considered a leading expert resource on the management of agriculture policy in Africa and will be expected to lead innovation in the provision of evidence-based policy to African governments. The Analyst will use this position to provide high-quality analytical support to provide evidence-based guidance to senior leaders in partner governments. Towards this end, the Specialist – Data and Analytics (WA) is expected to develop a diverse skill set, including establishing trusted advisor relationships with governments, developing expertise in a broad range of econometric and data tools, and communicating effectively with internal and external stakeholders, including partner governments.
Key Measures of Performance
- Number of analytical support functions rendered to AGRA target countries.
- Percent of interventions completed from support packages in AGRA target countries.
- Number of policy analytical support conducted with AGRA Country teams Business Lines
- Percent of funds committed by governments and other partners for the implementation of actions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose – Adapt
- Support the Head of Data and Analytics (D&A) in developing organizational strategy and build impact-driven relationships across select priority countries in collaboration with the M&E and Strategy and Analytics teams.
- Support the Head of Data and Analytics (D&A) in continuous refinement of D&As modes of operation considering ongoing progress, capturing lessons learned, the evolving policy context and recommendations of adaptive strategies.
- Work closely with the Head of D&A in developing the theory of change and operational plans for sustainability and scaling of D&A.
- Work closely with the Head of D&A in developing supporting data and analytics models to AGRA Country Directors and the Country Technical Leads and the Directors of the Business Lines under the Centre of Technical Expertise.
Engagement – Persuade
- Support the identification, mapping, and collaboration with the highest quality institutional sources of data and evidence in Africa.
- Support data analysts for E&SA, value chain financial analytics (youth) and GIS and Remote Sense in the validation and prioritization of incoming government demands.
- Support the validation and prioritization of incoming government demands through a collaborative, consultative process.
- Produce analytical options for the best set of policy options in line with the government’s request for support.
- Support research to inform and shape the effort(s) within policy consolidation and translation process and best practices.
- Produce lessons learnt from the set-up of D&A in knowledge products such as occasional papers.
- Support Data and Analytics (D&A) reporting needs, including developing narrative reports for non-technical audiences, creating dashboards and presentations.
Delivery – Adapt the Project Cycle
- Design and iterate a policy engagement plan with the range of leading actors in data and evidence generation, selection, and analysis, e.g., national think tanks and policy bodies, advocacy groups and government advisory service providers.
- Innovate and synergize new models for engagement and drive quickly towards early success.
- Provide analytical support in consolidating and translating policy decisions as well as provide strategic advice to D&A and the Centre of Technical Expertise during negotiations and wider engagements with government and stakeholders.
- Support D&A’s interface with the respective AGRA Country Directors and the Country Technical Leads and the Directors of the Business Lines under the Centre of Technical Expertise to add value from a consolidation and translation perspective to existing policy implementation efforts and ensure the delivery of an integrated policy support package to governments.
- Support knowledge management and thought leadership in AGRA through the identification of methodologies and systematization of approaches to consolidation and translation and provide support for production and dissemination via appropriate channels.
- Support development, structuring, and occasional implementation of strategic partnerships in collaboration with the resource mobilization, technical, and in-country teams.
- Support and collaborate with all directorate under the Centre of Technical Expertise to help them improve their data-related processes and contribute to nurturing a culture of data-driven decision making across AGRA.
Model the IRISE Values & Be a Culture Carrier
- Integrity: Uphold moral convictions and always doing the right thing.
- Respect: Value differences and embrace diversity and inclusion.
- Innovation: Strive for excellence and embracing continuous improvement, bold creativity, and change.
- Stewardship: Be responsible for actions undertaken and resources entrusted.
- Equity: Be governed by fairness in all undertakings.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- MSc level, with a PhD as added advantage.
- Proficiency and experience with data analysis and modelling techniques using software programs such as Excel, STATA, R, SPSS, and SAS.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving, programming, and decision-making skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required, including the ability to communicate complex technical analyses to non-technical audiences.
- Good command of English is required, and fluency in French and Portuguese will be an advantage.
- Experience in agricultural policy and political economy analyses in Africa.
- Experience advising governments, Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and other types of organizations preferred.
- Experience in survey design, questionnaire design, and conducting and supervising surveys.
- Familiarity with data entry software packages (ODK, Survey CTO, Epi Info, etc) desired.
- Demonstrated understanding and familiarity with Africa’s policy and political economy landscape including policy issues related to poverty, economic growth, food security, and agricultural or rural development.
- Experience and familiarity with West Africa’s policy and political economy landscape will be an added advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and effectively with colleagues from diverse cultures.
- Demonstrated experience in effective interaction and coordination with governments, collaborators, thinktanks, and project partners.
- Strategic Orientation: focus on the big picture and overall Strategic Framework. Ability to identify and pursue strategic initiatives which provide the greatest value and sustainable impact; balances long and short-term trade-offs; communicates clearly and precisely the strategic goals and the strategies for achieving them.
- Leadership: Demonstrates ability to mobilize, focus, align, and build effective groups to enable them to conceptualize and achieve collective objectives. Inspires Trust and Passion in the AGRA Mission: Ability to show great drive and commitment to AGRA mission; help others understand how their daily work contributes to the AGRA’s mission and inspire others to proactively meet the AGRA’s strategic objectives in partnership with clients. Maintains high standards of personal integrity and provides support for professional development efforts linked to business objectives.
- Customer and market Orientation: Demonstrates knowledge of the customers they serve, competitors, suppliers, and the regulatory environment. Provides a balanced responsive and proactive approach to meeting client needs; encourages staff to understand client needs and concerns; ensures the provision of customized services and products as appropriate; Responds promptly and effectively to client and market needs. Adds business value based on own understanding and service of the customers and the market in which they work.
- Driving Results: Demonstrates drive for improvement of business results, based on a well-rounded understanding of general business principles and own activities’ commercial and financial implications.
- Planning and Organizing: Devises plans of action with explicit paths and measures of accomplishment for self and/or others and allocates suitable resources so that objectives are achieved. Strong administration skills
- Technical Competencies for the position: Demonstrates knowledge of all own work role-specific issues. This encompasses the technical skills or knowledge required to perform the essential duties as described in this Job Description. Specific technical competencies: quantitative analytical skills including the use of appropriate software, results-based management systems, designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis, and production of reports; In-depth knowledge of MIS, M&E, and development issues.
- Accuracy and attention to detail: High level of accuracy, attention to detail and thoroughness. Ability to maintain a timely and efficient workflow.
- Managing Resources: Demonstrates the ability to plan and use resources (people and/or finance and/or physical assets) in accordance with AGRA guidelines and delegated accountability so that objectives are achieved in the most effective manner possible.
- Coaching and Developing Staff: A demonstrated capacity for working effectively within multi-disciplinary teams for collective success and providing effective coaching and encouraging appropriate development activities in order to support staff in identifying and meeting their training and development needs.
- Communication and Interpersonal relations: Exceptional communication skills and ability to represent AGRA externally at high levels. Demonstrates ability to maintain lasting, healthy, and effective one-to-one working relationships with colleagues, suppliers, customers, professional peers, etc.
- Intercultural Sensitivity and Effectiveness: Demonstrates ability to cross and bridge different racial, cultural, or business cultures. This requires and is exhibited by personal experience of international or cross-cultural business with improved achievements.
- Teamwork: Demonstrates productive drive in working with peers, partners, consultants, and others to achieve pre-targeted and measurable business results
Terms of Appointment
3 Years Fixed Term (Consideration for renewal will be made subject to AGRA’s needs, available funding and performance).
Based in Nairobi, Kenya.
How to Apply
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to email@example.com noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before Thursday 12th October 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer