Job Reference: WAYA/YGI/09/2023
AGRA and its Work
AGRA is an African-led institution that actively supports the drive towards inclusive agricultural transformation and sustainable food systems. We do this by empowering the continent’s 33 million smallholder farming households to transform their agriculture from a struggle to survive to profitable businesses. The continent’s farmers regularly face challenges, and we aspire to provide uniquely African solutions that respond to their agricultural and environmental challenges, leading to increased harvests for reduced hunger and more income.
Working in alignment with the development priorities of our focus countries, we enable farmers to access improved and high-yielding seeds, gain knowledge on sustainable farming, and linkages to profitable markets.
In our work, we aspire to build the alliances, partnerships, and networks required to drive an inclusive agricultural transformation. We work with our partners to create an equitable youth-friendly environment that harnesses the youth dividend on the continent to drive growth and facilitate open employment opportunities for young women and men. We achieve our key objectives through a focus on the following four areas of intervention:
- Policy and state capability – We support governments in creating an enabling environment for private sector involvement in agricultural transformation.
- Seed systems – We trigger higher productivity by increasing the availability and access to improved seeds by farmers allowing them to increase their harvests for food security and better incomes.
- Sustainable farming – We support farmers in building resilient farming systems for sustained high yields through interventions such as mechanization and irrigation.
- Inclusive markets and trade – We work to increase the linkages between farmers, and other market actors for a positive, sustained cycle of commercialization and reinvestment.
AGRA’s 2030 Strategy
The continent has, in recent years, taken steps towards inclusive agricultural transformation resulting in notable improvements in food security, with clear progress across all AGRA’s focus countries. However, with over 20% of Africans still suffering from hunger, we need to accelerate our progress and mitigate against the growing external pressures of conflict and climate on our food systems.
AGRA 2022-2030 Strategic Framework (SF2030) demonstrates our long-term vision for how we intend to contribute to, and align with, global and continental priorities, applying a food systems lens towards the goals of zero hunger, improved nutrition, an end to poverty, and climate adaptation. We have split our Strategic Framework 2030 into two 5-year strategies so that we have a clear mid-way point to evaluate progress and re-route our strategic focus if necessary. Our 2023-2027 Strategic Plan sets out to catalyze the growth of sustainable food systems across Africa by influencing and leveraging partners to build a robust enabling environment where the private sector thrives, and smallholders are empowered to produce sufficient, healthy food.
To contribute to a food system-inspired inclusive agricultural transformation across Africa, to reduce hunger, improve nutrition, and adapt to climate.
To catalyze the growth of sustainable food systems across Africa by influencing and leveraging partners to build a robust enabling environment where private sector thrives, and smallholder farmers are empowered to produce sufficient, healthy food.
- Empowering and building the resilience of small holder farmers
- Supporting the development of inclusive markets and finance to strengthen agricultural systems.
- Strengthening state capability to sustain agricultural transformation.
Implementing Our New Strategy Through People
AGRA is at the threshold of a new chapter where we begin implementing our new strategy of catalyzing inclusive, resilient and sustainable agricultural transformation. At AGRA we believe Agriculture is the single greatest opportunity to deliver inclusive economic growth, jobs, and health to the African continent.
People are the heart of our organisation and remain the true drivers of our delivery and our impact.
We are excited about a new fit-for-purpose organizational structure that is largely driven by an ambition to enhance collaboration across teams and drive sustainable growth. We have therefore purposed more focus on delivery of country programs within the new strategy giving even greater attention to optimizing existing talent in addition to upscaling technical and operational resources.
We work with incredible people and partners who have roots in farming communities across the continent combined with an inclusive and diverse workforce from over 24 nationalities. Our values of (I-RISE; Integrity, Respect, Innovation, Stewardship and Equity) espouse our commitment to a call to action to go beyond ourselves as we arise and transform Africa’s Agriculture.
We are looking for people who are passionate about Africa, curious and collaborative to join our innovative, growing, and multidisciplinary team. Together, we can grow Africa’s food systems improving the livelihoods of smallholder farmers. Want to join us?
Associate – Community Management and Women Agripreneurs of the Year Awards (WAYA), Job Reference: WAYA/YGI/09/2023
The position is responsible for coordinating the activities of the VALUE4HER Digital Platform (Network) and the implementation of VALUE4HER programs particularly the Women Agripreneurs of the Year Awards (WAYA).
Reporting to the Lead – Gender Integration, the Associate Community Management & WAYA will be responsible for coordinating the activities of the VALUE4HERConnect Platform (Africa’s first Women in Agribusiness digital marketplace), to ensure the smooth functioning and optimal performance of the platform, while also focusing on enhancing user experience and day to day user engagement and membership growth.
Key Measures of Performance
- Number of women SMEs onboarded and the engagement on the VALUE4HER digital platform.
- Number of advocacy events organized/Number of advocacy communication products developed.
- Timely and quality delivery of the VALUE4HER Women Agripreneurs of the Year Awards (WAYA).
- Improved engagement of the VALUE4HER members and partners.
- Oversight and timely delivery of grants and projects related to the digital community.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose – Analyze
- Implement and enforce platform data protection policies, guidelines, and protocols to ensure ethical handling of members’ and partners’ personal data in accordance with data protection rules and regulations.
- Develop and implement platform adaptations and integration of new features and capabilities on the platform and identify new opportunities for platform enhancement and improvement.
- Develop and analyze platform metrics and M&E indicators, reporting performance to management, creating and executing member needs and satisfaction surveys.
- Ensure VALUE4HERConnect’s strategic alignment with other AGRA online communities and networks.
Engagement – Collaborate
- Coordinate the day-to-day activities of the VALUE4HERConnect digital community, creating and refreshing content, monitoring and maintaining the platform’s performance, ensuring optimal user experience.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase user/membership engagement on the platform and encourage active participation and conduct regular user research and feedback analysis to identify areas for improvement.
- Implement initiatives to enhance the overall user experience, including intuitive navigation, content personalization, and seamless interaction.
- Coordinate with content creators and subject matter experts and partners to ensure the availability of relevant and valuable content on the platform.
- Curate and organize content in a user-friendly manner, considering user preferences and learning objectives.
- Monitor and analyze content performance metrics to optimize content strategy and drive user engagement.
- Develop and implement strategies to mobilize new women members and partnerships to the platform and support with onboarding, enhancing data quality and integrity.
- Manage the strategic relationships between AGRA and relevant community infrastructure providers; identify, source, and secure partnerships and manage ongoing relationships with existing partners.
Delivery – Manage the Project Cycle
- Lead the strategic development and implementation of the Women Agripreneurs of the Year Awards (WAYA)– key activities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and coordinate the implementation of the WAYA annual work plan activities and targets as outlined in the implementation blueprint.
- Take charge of the outreach and resource mobilization campaign to secure partnerships and sponsorships for the awards.
- Monitor and report on the progress and achievements of previous WAYA winners, providing regular updates and insights.
- Organize and coordinate the rollout of VALUE4HER advocacy events such as TalkCorners, ask the Expert session, and quarterly advocacy webinars.
- Prepare and provide content for various written outputs, such as input to presentations, publications, press releases, blogs, etc.
- Provide support to the youth, gender and inclusiveness unit and participate in other activities as advised by the Lead – Gender Integration.
Model the IRISE Values & Be a Culture Carrier
- Integrity: Uphold moral convictions and always doing the right thing.
- Respect: Value differences and embrace diversity and inclusion.
- Innovation: Strive for excellence and embracing continuous improvement, bold creativity, and change.
- Stewardship: Be responsible for actions undertaken and resources entrusted.
- Equity: Be governed by fairness in all undertakings.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in digital systems, Information and Technology, or related disciplines.
- Additional training in agriculture, agri enterprise development, women’s economic empowerment
- Good command of English and a working knowledge of French will be an advantage.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, with a data-driven approach.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and stakeholders.
- Experience in managing and optimizing online platforms, preferably in the areas of women’s empowerment, entrepreneurship, or social impact with a focus on innovation and incubation.
- Knowledge of online community management and moderation, along with a strong understanding of user experience (UX) principles and best practices.
- Demonstrated understanding of African agriculture, entrepreneurship development, and the women’s economic empowerment landscape.
- Familiarity with content management systems (CMS) and digital publishing tools.
- Achieving Results Effectively: Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations; Sets self and others stretching goals, over and above those required to meet organizational standards and targets; Takes the necessary actions to meet these goals; identifies and applies measures to track and quantify achievement; Aligns projects with organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise; Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge; Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Accountability: Maintains ethical behavior, admits mistakes and exhibits responsible behavior in the meeting of performance expectations; Actively seeks out solutions to achieve results; Holds self-accountable for achieving results as an individual as well as team members; Identifies and assists in addressing areas of weakness that may impact the department’s performance.
- Diversity and inclusion: Takes a conscious effort to learn about different styles of conflict resolution; is proactive in managing conflict over differences when it arises rather than avoiding it; listens actively for the frames of reference and does not prejudge; seeks to understand and adapt to different styles when working with those who are different; treats others as they wish to be treated; shows readiness to change the way he/she does things to meet the needs of those from diverse backgrounds.
- Adaptability: Adapts personal approach to meet the needs of different or new situations; Seeks guidance in adapting behavior to the needs of a new or different situation.
- Stakeholder focus/partnerships: Contacts stakeholders to follow up on services, solutions or products to ensure that their needs have been correctly and effectively met; Understands issues from the stakeholder’s perspective; Keeps stakeholders up-to-date with information and decisions that affect them; Monitors services provided to stakeholders and makes timely adjustments as required; Maintains ongoing communication with stakeholders; Regularly and systematically contacts stakeholders or prospective stakeholders to determine their needs; Uses understanding of stakeholder’s perspective to identify constraints and advocate on their behalf; Works with stakeholders to adapt services, products or solutions to meet their needs; Encourages co-workers and teams to achieve a high standard of service excellence; Anticipates areas where support or influence will be required and discusses situation/concerns with appropriate individuals; Proposes new, creative and sound alternatives to improve stakeholder service delivery; Engages effectively with all stakeholders.
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels; Is fully aware of the team purposes, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities; Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a ‘hands-on’ approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives; Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
Terms of Appointment
3 Years Fixed Term (Consideration for renewal will be made subject to AGRA’s needs, available funding and performance).
Based in Kigali, Rwanda
How to Apply
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before Monday 23rd October 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer