Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation from a country perspective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Senior Program Officer Partnerships.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya (possible travel up to 50%).
The Partnerships role is to develop and scale partnership intervention models that support private sector led agriculture development and mobilization of (private) investments in the AGRA’s key value chains in 11 African countries. In addition, the role will position AGRA as a preferred partner for private sector led agriculture development, and a leading initiator, convener and catalyst of multi-stakeholder partnerships that drive transformation.
The following are the priorities for this role:
• Work with Government Investment Centres to strengthen their capacity to mobilize & facilitate inclusive private sector investment into agriculture.
• Establish and leverage relationships with strategic and large-scale private sector actors
• Establish and manage multi-plex partnerships to leverage resources and scale existing efforts (including country partnerships).
• Support AGRA’s country level delivery of value chain enhancing partnerships
The incumbent will report to the Head of Partnerships to strategize, identify, disseminate information and deliver on concrete partnership initiatives and private sector led opportunities that scale AGRA’s efforts.
The incumbent will support on-going and planned initiatives in AGRA Countries. This will include developing an in-country partnership development work plan, supporting partnerships maintenance and development, tracking and reporting on partnership development, capacity building and knowledge sharing when necessary and other ad-hoc responsibilities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Developing a stakeholder mapping analysis and in-country partnership development work plan (30%)
o Map out key stakeholders that align with and can potentially contribute to AGRA strategy and PU team strategy
o Develop prioritization criteria and support AGRA Country Offices to identify and prioritize new relationship, in collaboration with the resource mobilisation, strategy unit and other relevant teams regarding a broader relationship management initiative in AGRA
o Develop concrete value proposition and necessary communication materials for outreach to potential new partners
o Develop partnership development work plan, timelines and deliverables
• Partnerships development and investment facilitation capacity building
o Review existing pipelines, particularly opportunities that emerged post AGRF 2018, WEF 2019 and other major convenings
o Delivery of multi-plex partnership strategy AGRA countries (e.g. FtMA, China and Israeli partnership)
o Identification, mobilisation and closing of relevant partnership agreements
o Coordinate meetings develop necessary communication material and ensure proper follow up
o Investment facilitation capacity building and business development service in country
o Development of partnership related grants, technical assistance and third-party funding proposals
o Designing, planning and delivery of AGRA partnership events such as African Green Revolution Forum
• Tracking and reporting on partnership development
o Track and maintain a partnership development database and relationship management database
o Tracking indicators and outcomes of AGRA’s partnership activities, this includes a partnership survey
• Capacity building and knowledge sharing
o Developing and delivery training on partnerships to AGRA staff and partners
Key Qualifications and Experience required:
• At least a Master’s degree qualification.
• Minimum of fifteen (15) years of relevant experience with special technical expertise in Agribusiness in Africa.
• At least five (5) years of senior level experience in program management.
• Strong private sector agriculture/agribusiness network and strategic network with relevant public sector institutions in Africa; including strategic partnership/relationship management, public-private partnerships, agribusiness, commodity trade and investment program management.
• Knowledge of the agriculture sector and exposure to private sector investment processes and policies.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a team orientation and strong collaborative skills.
• Ability to communicate fluently in English language is mandatory.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to email@example.com. Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer