Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Senior Program Officer, Markets & Post-Harvest Management.
Reporting to the Head of Markets and Post-Harvest Management, the Senior Program Officer for Markets and Post-Harvest Management will work with stakeholders in agro-industries to develop and facilitate the implementation of market systems development initiatives. The end game will be the expanded market opportunities and market systems that are competitive, inclusive, and resilient in East and Southern Africa. The position holder will also contribute to the development and execution of strategies that create opportunities for economic transactions and transformational business relationships that reduce food losses and generate income for smallholder farmers and agribusinesses.
Through catalytic grants, technical assistance, partnership with government and private sector actors, the Senior Program Officer will endeavor to scale up proven solutions and approaches for agricultural market development.
The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Use catalytic grants, technical assistance, and partnership with government and private sector actors to develop, implement and scale-up agricultural output market access approaches that directly benefit smallholder farmers.
- Work with stakeholders in agro-industries to develop and facilitate the implementation of market systems development initiatives.
- Contribute to the development and execution of strategies that create opportunities for economic transactions and transformational business relationships that reduce food losses and generate income for smallholder farmers and agribusinesses.
- Develop and support innovative value chain approaches that increase the participation of smallholder farmers in local, regional and global trade flows.
- Identify, support and guide efforts that enable smallholder farmers to sell their products and capture value from downstream activities.
- Develop and support multi-disciplinary networks of individuals and organizations that promote linking smallholder farmers to markets.
- Represent and deputise for the Head, Markets & Harvest Management.
- Technical Program lead working with Program Officers from other units and divisions
- Working with the other Program Officers assists Resource Mobilization unit with technical input to funding proposals.
- Champions initiatives to reduce post-harvest losses.
- Develop and support incubator and accelerator initiative that unlock access to start-up and growth capital for grain traders and processors.
Key Qualifications and Experience required
- An advanced degree (Masters) in Business, Agricultural Economics or related disciplines;
- A proven track record in facilitating market systems development;
- At least 5 years of experience leading agri-businesses and development efforts, partially or wholly in Africa;
- Experience in managing multinational initiatives in the private and/or public sector;
- A solid understanding of agricultural market systems;
- A solid understanding of farmer incentives that influence the adoption of technologies and market linkages, and an ability to work with national and regional agricultural institutions to accelerate technology uptake;
- A sound knowledge of, and experience in upgrading agricultural value chains and enhancing the competitiveness of supply chains;
- Experience in agricultural trade development at national, regional and/or international levels;
- A sound understanding of underlying demand and supply challenges in Africa, and an ability to lead program officers to implement high-impact programs to solve these challenges;
- Ability to speak and write in both English and French languages will be an added advantage.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number.
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 30th September, 2019.
For more information on AGRA, please can visit: www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer