Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation from a country perspective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Senior Program Officer – Markets and Post-Harvest.
Reporting to the Head of Markets and Post-Harvest Management, the Senior Program Officer – Markets and Post-Harvest will be responsible for creating market opportunities for farmers, while developing new market institutions to improve the efficiency of agricultural markets. S/he will drive reduction of transaction costs and risks facing farmers, expand income opportunities from value added market activities, and lower the price of food for consumers, especially for poor net-buyers of food in rural and urban markets. S/he will also work closely with the other program officers, markets & harvest to develop initiatives that translate smallholder farm activity gains into increased incomes. The Senior Program Officer – Markets and Post-Harvest will also design and implement grant-making activities that address constraints to farmer knowledge and behavior change, which apply new ideas to the extension of improved market access. The position will be based in Accra, Ghana.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, implement and scale-up agricultural output market access approaches that directly benefit smallholder farmers
- Develop an approach to reform national and regional policies and institutions to facilitate agricultural market development and trade
- Develop and support innovative value chain approaches that increase the participation of smallholder farmers in local, regional and global trade flows
- Identify, support and guide efforts that enable smallholder farmers to sell their products and capture value from downstream activities (e.g. market information systems)
- Lead efforts to facilitate economic transactions between value chain players and smallholder farmers
- Develop and support multi-disciplinary networks of individuals and organizations that promote linking smallholder farmers to markets
- Represent and deputize the Head of Markets and Post-Harvest Management in diverse fora
- Provides leadership in key initiatives (country team leadership, project lead)
- Develop and support programs for training the next generation of agri-business leaders in Africa
- Work with other Program Officers as the Technical Program lead
- Provide strategic support and direction for market development for staples
- Propose new initiatives that promote market access and financial inclusion for smallholder farmers including use of ICT
- Support the Head of Markets and Post-Harvest Management in Resource Mobilization for the unit
- Work with the other Program Officers to support the Resource Mobilization unit with technical input to funding proposals
- Provide oversight on old/new initiatives/studies in liaison with the Head of Markets and Post-Harvest Management and Program Officers
- Champion initiatives to reduce post-harvest losses.
Key Qualifications and Experience required
- An advanced degree (Masters) in Business, Agricultural Economics or related discipline
- At least 7 years’ experience leading agri-businesses and development efforts, partially or wholly in West Africa
- A proven manager able to develop and implement innovative solutions to markets and develop agribusiness linkages which serve farmers
- Experience managing multinational initiatives in the private and/or public sector
- Excellent understanding of agricultural markets, commodities and higher value products
- Solid understanding of farmer incentives that influence the adoption of technologies and market linkages, and an ability to work with national and regional agricultural institutions to accelerate technology uptake
- Good knowledge of, and experience in agricultural trade development at national, regional and/or international levels
- Solid understanding of underlying demand and supply challenges in Africa, and an ability to lead program officers to implement high-impact programs to solve these challenges
- Experience of innovative ICT platforms that are friendly and easy to use by smallholder farmers
- Experience in warehouse receipt systems, commodity exchange and trading
- A proven entrepreneur able to develop and implement innovative solutions to markets and develop agribusiness linkages which serve poor farmers
- Proven ability to lead and be part of effective and high impact teams and partnerships
- Results and detail orientated with a very hand on approach
- Intelligent, motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and work ethic
- Solid command of both English and French languages.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number.
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 22nd March 2018.
For more information on AGRA, please visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer