Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation from a country perspective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Senior Finance Officer- Program Finance.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Senior Finance Officer – Program Finance is responsible for the overall financial management of AGRA’s programs. The team manages a collaborative effort with the Financial Accounting team, Management Accounting team, Grants team, Internal Audit team, Legal, Compliance and Program teams to oversee financial policies and procedures supporting AGRA’s administration and management of the Award agreements and sub-agreements; and the implementation of financial oversight mechanisms to ensure financial integrity and compliance with donor requirements across the programs. The SFO serves as the financial liaison to all donors and represents AGRA at any of donor and project partner meetings and ensure consolidation of the periodic award budgets, financial reports, strong tracking of program expenditures, continual analysis of project cash flow, ensuring compliance with AGRA’s and donor policies.
Reporting to the Chief Finance Officer, the Senior Finance Officer- Program Finance will work closely with relevant staff in various teams across AGRA. The role will directly supervise two Finance Officers (Program Finance).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support in ensuring the accuracy on postings that confirm to the program design, and budgets.
- Work closely with Financial and Management team to develop Navision dimensions that reflect sufficiently AGRA’s reporting requirements.
- Provide overall financial oversight to AGRA programs at all stages including timely preparation of budgets, and financial reports.
- Maintain primary relationship with donors. Correspond with donors on all financial requests and questions.
- Develop and update project-specific budget and financial reporting templates for AGRA and sub-recipients, as requested by the donor.
- Ensure all Project Audits are conducted on time and audit findings resolved adequately.
- Assist the Financial Management team and CFO to prepare the institutional budgets and budget narratives that are accurate, reasonable, consistent with the strategy, and adhere to donor and AGRA policies.
Program Finance Management
In conjunction with the Grants Unit & Programs teams:
- Lead in proposal budgets development in line with program design.
- Ensure proper allocation of costs in line with AGRA allocation policy.
- Monthly carefully track and report consolidated project expenses, burn rates, and cash received from donors/funders.
- Prepare consolidated financial reports for programs based on the contract obligation schedules.
- Maintain and monitor a consolidated sub-award financial tracking tool for the whole programs.
- Ensuring the Grants commitments schedule is up to date.
- Coordinate review of all requests from sub-recipients for prior approvals (international travel, procurements) and budget modifications with Grant team.
- Provide periodic budget monitoring reports to the project teams to guide in decision making with the aim of meeting donor expectations.
- Ensure Grants Committee has all the financial data required to comply with the specific donor sub-award requirements.
- Create, monitor, and track compliance with project audits in relation to specific donor regulations, accounting best practice and standard provisions.
In consultation with the Resource Mobilization Unit:
- At the proposal stage review all financial implications of grant agreements and contracts to ensure that all cost drivers are sufficiently addressed, and cost elements adequately factored in the proposal.
- Ensure Resource Mobilization has all the financial data required to comply with funding requirements.
- Ensure key processes are followed so that Award risk assessment receives consistent attention and direct support.
- Responsible for the management of the Award vision module in Navision and provide adequate capacity building to both Resource Mobilization and Finance Unit on its use for effective award management.
- Ensure commitments against awards followed to avoid over/under commitments
- Work closely with the Strategy team to track and ensure projects are aligned to the AGRA institutional strategy and provide feedback on areas of deviation.
- Work closely with M&E team on the alignment of project financial reports to the results framework.
Standards and Systems Development
- Collaborate with colleagues to implement guidelines, procedures, standards, work processes, manuals, metrics, and methodologies for a successful and comprehensive financial management system applicable to all projects.
- Contribute to the development of Navision and any other financial implementation toolkit in collaboration with the Finance colleagues to ensure effective and efficient financial clarity.
- In conjunction with the Programs, Grants, Operations Units, stay abreast of any new donor financial regulations and ensure alignment with AGRA policies.
AGRA Core Activities
- Participate in AGRA finance activities.
- Support the Finance unit in development of financial policies that ensure effective financial management.
- Work closely with finance team and support in the approvals of documents.
- Support in the approvals of commitments and requisitions by ensuring all cost elements are sufficiently captured.
- Raise red flags to management of any possible non-compliance at all levels.
Training and Capacity Building
- Provide expertise, advice, and training to Program staff to build their understanding of financial terms, conditions, and standards to ensure that programs are delivered with minimized compliance risk; and work collaboratively with Country and Regional teams to train and build capacity of local staff.
- Travel to train and support colleagues, monitor financial management of the projects, and conduct site visits to project locations and sub-recipient offices to ensure compliance risk and financial controls are adequate.
Management of the Program Finance Team
- Provide leadership, and manage the performance, growth and development of staff, ensuring they meet their objectives and support the organization strategy
Key Qualifications and Experience required:
- At least 12 years of professional experience in accounting, finance, or financial monitoring.
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance. A Master’s degree in any relevant field a strong added advantage.
- CPA certification.
- Experience in working with similar organizations or institutions will be an added advantage
- Strong financial modelling skills, capable of building from scratch sophisticated “program finance” financial models; prior experience in use of VB and Macro tools with MS-Excel is a must.
- Knowledge of program finance documentation and experience of handing financial closing work (either as project/program developer or as lender) is essential.
- Strong leadership and people management experience
- Strong analytical, data mining ability
- Understanding of auditing techniques
- In-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process
- Hands-on experience with accounting software packages, like Fresh Books and QuickBooks
- Computer proficiency in spreadsheets, presentations and reporting software
- Thoroughly familiar with and experience in working with Finance regulations and reporting standards and requirements
- Strong ability to influence positively both upwards and downwards
- Highly organized, results and detail orientated with a hands-on approach.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to email@example.com. Please quote the job reference number (SFO-PF/05/2019) in the subject line of the application e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received by 07th June 2019.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer