Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers in 11 countries (Burkina Faso, Ghana, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mali, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda). Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and while putting government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Senior Finance Officer – Country Support.
Reporting to the Chief Finance Officer, the Senior Finance Officer- Country Support will be responsible for coordinating and supporting the development and monitoring of budgets, liaising with finance and Regional Heads to support timely preparation of income statements, balance sheets, financial summaries and forecasts for the countries in which AGRA operates. He/she will support the financial controller in verifying, allocating, posting and reconciling balance sheets accounts. S/he will ensure production of error-free country accounting reports and presenting their results to the organization. S/he is charged with analyzing financial information and summarizing the financial status of the countries as well as ensuring statutory compliance.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide financial oversight for all the country offices from the head office.
- Lead in the provision of financial management function and supervise day-to-day financial operations in the countries.
- Support regional teams in budgeting process for all the countries and donor budgets.
- Provide oversight on preparation of country budgets including optimal cost allocation and monthly management reports and financial analysis for country and regional management as well as regular financial returns to head office.
- Ensure robust cash flows management for all the country offices.
- Ensure processes and procedures are reviewed and updated regularly without impairing. operational efficiency of finance reporting and budgeting systems within the countries.
- Ensure adequate systems in country to manage country finance operations including adequate segregation.
- Ensure all timely payments and expenses in line with policy including systems approval of all country transactions. Identify, communicate and resolve invoicing issues, accounting discrepancies and other financial related issues for the offices.
- Proactively report any accounting issue and risk faced by any country.
- Ensure accuracy of billing and invoicing for hosted offices in line with the hosting agreements and ensure monthly reconciliation with the host organizations and ensure transactions correctly captured in system.
- Provide oversight of country compliance with accounting policies and controls by undertaking review of recorded financial information in the general and subsidiary ledgers in a timely manner and regular reconciliation of bank, cash, payables and receivables and timely follow up of outstanding items.
- Ensure that all relevant financial documents are maintained securely.
- Lead in the preparation of financial statements and statutory audits and submissions for countries and support grantee and program audits.
- Ensure all audit issues in relation to country operations are resolved in a timely manner.
- Provide oversight on tax and other statutory compliance and work with the legal department to ensure that necessary statutory requirements in the countries are met.
- Provide leadership, and manage the performance, growth and development of staff, ensuring they meet their objectives and support the organization strategy.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience:
- At least 8 years of professional experience in accounting, finance, or financial monitoring with 3-5 years managing a team.
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or equivalent work experience.
- A Master’s degree in any relevant field would be an added advantage.
- CPA, ACCA or equivalent certification.
- Experience in working with similar organizations or institutions similar to AGRA in a regional role capacity.
- Experience with donor reporting and budgeting processes is essential as well as working with donors such as USAID, EU, DFID, BMZ and other large institutional and foundations.
- Computer proficiency in the use of MS Excel, presentations and reporting software.
- Experience with general accounting functions.
- Hands-on experience with accounting software packages including Navision and other ERPs.
- Ability to work independently in a diverse environment.
- Highly organized, results and detail orientated with a hands-on approach.
- Excellent leadership, influencing, organizational, and problem solving ability.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for this role, please submit your application with a detailed CV, stating your current position, email, and telephone contacts and quoting the reference number for the position you are applying for on the application letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail. To be considered, applications must be received by 20th September, 2019. (Candidates who had applied previously need not apply again).
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer