Synopsis of the Request for Proposal (Individual Consultant)
|Solicitation Reference No.||RFP/RN208/M&E/2021|
|Title of Solicitation||Engaging a Book-writer|
|Issuing Office & Address||Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) Website: www.agra.org|
|Vendor Registration link||https://ekjd.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/fscmUI/faces/PrcPosRegisterSupplier?prcBuId=300000001758868|
|Point of contact for clarifications, questions and ammendments||AGRA General Procurement, Procurement@agra.org|
|Email Address for submission of Proposals/ Quotes||AGRA General Procurement, Procurement@agra.org|
|Solicitation Issue Date||12th February 2021|
|Deadline for submission questions and clarifications||18th February 2021 1700 hours, East African Time GMT +3.|
|Deadline for Answering questions and clarifications||22nd February 2021 1700 hours, East African Time GMT +3.|
|Deadline for submission of proposals||25th February 2021 1700 hours, East African Time GMT +3. Please include the subject line “RFP/RN208/M&E/2021” in the email|
|Anticipated Award Type||INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANCY AGREEMENT|
|Evaluation Criteria||Bidder must provide below listed information in the submitted proposal: |
Mandatory Eligibility Requirement
1. Consultant/Supplier must register on the vendor registration link provided above and attached the following:
– Identification Documentations of Bidder (Valid Passport Copy or National Identification Card)
– Tax Clearance Certificate ((Applicable to firms originating from Kenya, Rwanda, Ghana, Tanzania and Mozambique)
– Copies of academic certificates
2. Shall not be sanctioned or blacklisted by any government or institution
3. Applicant shall be an Individual Consultant
– Qualification of the individual Consultant relevant to the assignment: ……[20%]
– Demonstrated experience in writing and publication in discipline related to the assignment:……[30%]
– Technical approach, methodology and work plan:……..[40%]
– Relevant experience in the improved seed and soil fertility technologies:……[10%]
NB. Only the best candidate above 75% of the technical score shall be considered for financial negotiations
CONSULTANT TO HELP IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF AGRA BOOK ON LINKING RESEARCH OUTPUTS TO SMALLHOLDERS.
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
African farmers have proven to be ready users of new technologies but have been constrained in doing so by under-developed or unsustainable delivery systems as well as lack of awareness of the benefits of the technologies. In the absence of widespread adoption of improved agricultural technologies, average crop yields in Africa have remained well below the averages compared to other regions. However, this trend is gradually changing, and positive improvements are observed in African countries where agricultural technologies have been developed in collaboration with smallholder farmers and successfully commercialized through local agro-dealers or via farmer-to-farmer multiplication initiatives. Many of these technologies have been developed by scientists at National Agricultural Research Institutions (NARIs) supported by the Alliance for the Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA).
Through the Improved Delivery of Seed and Soil Fertility Technologies (IDSST) project, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) and International Fund for Agricultural Development (‘IFAD’) entered into strategic partnership to address the challenge of linking these new crop varieties and improved soil fertility management research outputs to smallholder beneficiaries of IFAD-supported loan programmes in Ethiopia, Malawi and Mozambique.
Scope of the consultancy
AGRA, in partnership with the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) has been working for the past three years to address the challenge of linking new crop varieties and improved soil fertility management research outputs to smallholder beneficiaries of IFAD-supported loan programmes in Ethiopia, Malawi and Mozambique. To achieve the above objective, AGRA has been working closely with IFAD country teams and Project Coordination Units (PCU) on promotion and dissemination of improved seed and soil fertility management technologies, and generation, documentation and sharing of knowledge. This was also done through its partners from the Government and private sector to make those technologies available while developing the last mile delivery system, creating awareness and supporting market development for sustainability.
To support this strategic partnership in terms of generating knowledge, AGRA is seeking to engage a professional to help in consolidating the achievements, outcomes, success stories, best practices and lessons learned from AGRA’s grant making and engagement process in a form of an edited book.
Objective of the book
The objective of this publication is to document the experiences, lessons, key success factors, and learning from the delivery of improved seed and soil fertility technologies to smallholder farmers. This book will document AGRA and its partners’ experiences and lessons and to promote shared learning and up-scaling initiatives through the partnership with IFAD. At the same time, it will inform on some recommended solutions for scaling up.
The book is targeting both public and private sector actors, donors, development partners, policy makers and stakeholders implementing agricultural value chain projects. It will be an important resource material that AGRA and IFAD could share with their stakeholders at events such as AGRF, WEF, and other important conferences and forums.
Contributors to the book/chapters
These will be the outcomes from the writeshops in countries, reports by the knowledge management consultants from each country in addition to AGRA grantees, IFAD PCU members, private sector, among others.
Scope of work
The consultant will:
- Provide technical guidance in the following areas:
- Developing the framework of the whole process.
- Finalizing the outline of the book.
- Consolidate reports from the consultants and other stakeholders in each country
- Facilitate the writeshops and work closely with contributors to improve and finalize the chapters.
- Finalize and submit the book to AGRA in an edited form
The consultant will be expected to deliver, the following outputs:
- Inception report
- An AGRA/IFAD edited book with chapters based on the agreed outline and related to each country – Ethiopia, Malawi and Mozambique.
- Policy briefs from the work
|Time (date, month & Year)||Output|
|March 25, 2021||Finalized book outline and chapters themes|
|April 15, 2021||Report on the write shop|
|May 31, 2021||Review of chapters by both AGRA and PCU members|
|June 30, 2021||Draft copy of the envisioned book|
|July 30, 2021||Final edited book|
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Good references for reliability, dedication and ability to work with minimal supervision
- English language proficiency in Portuguese an added advantage
- At least a Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Research, M&E or a related field
- Proven knowledge in development of scholarly articles for peer-reviewed publications in one discipline related to the assignment
- Demonstrable analytical skills for analyzing issues and formulating concrete recommendations to a wide range of stakeholder;
- Past related experience in target countries (Ethiopia, Malawi, Mozambique)
- Past related experience in agricultural systems and managing diverse partnerships
Duration of the assignment
The assignment shall be carried out within five months. The payment schedule will be based on the deliverables.
A. TECHNICAL PROPOSAL:
Interested and qualified consultants are invited to submit their proposal(s) comprising of the following:
- A detailed elaboration of issues to be addressed/covered based on the above;
- A description of the assignment plan and reporting milestones and a timetable of activities;
- Past performance summaries of efforts similar in size, scope and complexity to this assignment, and a list of references that can demonstrate your performance in conducting similar evaluations;
- At least one copy of a previous relevant book and list of previous books related to the assignment;
- CV conforming to the qualifications listed above
NB: Only the candidate with the best technical proposal shall be considered for financial negotiations
- Minimum Technical score shall be >75%
- The best Technical score shall considered for financial negotiations
B. FINANCIAL PROPOSAL
Must be provided in the prescribed format, RFP ANNEX B, supported with a breakdown analysis and will provide the following information, but is not limited to:
- The consultant shall provide an hourly and daily rate for carrying out the assignment
- The consultant may also propose additional pricing options or modalities for consideration.
- Price must be quoted in US Dollars (USD)
- Applicable withholding tax shall be inclusive in the financial proposal
- If the financial proposal is silent on taxes, AGRA shall assume that these are inclusive;
- Reimbursable costs if applicable shall be quoted separately.
- The financial proposal shall be submitted separately from the technical proposal and should be password protected. Only the best candidate meeting the minimum technical score (>75%) shall be requested for the password to their financial proposal
- Brief Technical proposal, detailed CV and Financial Proposals must be submitted separately to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline indicated in the synopsis.
- The subject of the email MUST read “RFP/RN208/M&E/2021”. AGRA shall not be liable for not opening proposals that are submitted with a different subject.
- Technical and Financial proposals will need to be submitted as separate documents.
- Neither technical nor financial proposals should exceed 10MB