Synopsis of the Request for Proposal (Consultant firms)
|Solicitation Reference No.||RFP/004/AGRF/2021|
|Title of Solicitation||Strategic Communications and Media Engagement|
|Issuing Office & Address||Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) Website: www.agra.org|
|Point of contact for clarifications, questions and ammendments||AGRA General Procurement, Procurement@agra.org|
|Email Address for submission of Proposals/ Quotes||AGRA General Procurement, Procurement@agra.org|
|Solicitation Issue Date||March 4th , 2021|
|Deadline for submission questions and clarifications||March 9th , 2021 1700 hours, East African Time|
|Deadline for Answering questions and clarifications||March 12th , 2021 1700 hours, East African Time|
|Deadline for Submission of Proposals||March 18th , 2021 1700 hours, East African Time Please include the subject line “RFP/004/AGRF/2021-Strategic Communications and Media Engagement consultancy” of the email|
|Type of consultant||CONSULTANT FIRMS|
|Anticipated Award Type||CONSULTANCY AGREEMENT|
|Submission and Evaluation Criteria||Bidder MUST register as a vendor via the link provided below and provide the listed information in the submitted proposal: https://ekjd.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/fscmUI/faces/PrcPosRegisterSupplier?prcBuId=300000001758868 |
Mandatory Eligibility Requirement
1. Consultant/Supplier must register on the vendor registration link provided above and attach the following:
– Company profile including list of similar assignments/services carried out, past and current clients
– Trading license or certificate of incorporation
– Copy of ID/Passport for Company Director
2. TAX clearance certificates (Applicable to firms originating from Kenya, Rwanda, Ghana, Tanzania and Mozambique)
3. Copy of Personal/Tax Identification Number certificate (Applicable to firms originating from Kenya, Rwanda, Ghana, Tanzania and Mozambique)
4. Shall not be sanctioned or blacklisted by any government or institution
Evaluation Criteria summary:
1. Experience in similar assignments and Organizational capacity – 30%
2. Proposed methodology and work plan for carrying out the assignment – 30%
3. Key personnel – 40%
1. Technical Proposal will be weighted out of 80%
2. Financial Proposal will be weighted out of 20%
NB: Only the candidate with the best technical proposal equal or above 75% shall be considered for financial negotiations
Terms of Reference
Consultancy title: Advocacy, Reporting and Communications Advisor
The African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) is the world’s premier forum for African agriculture, bringing together stakeholders in the agricultural landscape to take practical actions and share lessons that will move African agriculture forward. The AGRF is a multi-sector platform comprising of 26 partners leading in African agriculture all focused on putting farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economies.
The AGRF flagship Summit was first held in Ghana in 2010, and has annually brought together Heads of State, Ministers, business leaders, development partners, thought leaders, farmers, youth, and other stakeholders to focus on the actions and policies need to move the continental agenda forward. As the Forum moves into a new decade, the AGRF seeks to move beyond the annual summit into year-round engagement.
Scope of Work
The AGRF is seeking the services of a global communications agency to support our strategic communications and media relations. Specifically:
A. Strategic Communications
Support the implementation of the AGRF annual communications strategy.
Objective – To elevate the AGRF’s position as the premier platform for Agricultural transformation in Africa. Efforts under this work stream will include messaging, development of strategic communications programs and brand communications.
- Content management feeding into the AGRF’s editorial calendar
- Development of knowledge products for the AGRF and its thematic platforms
- Development of key messages for brand visibility
- Reputation management
- Communications implementation plan
- Knowledge products for AGRF and its thematic platforms
B. Media relations
Oversee media engagement by delivering regular high-quality coverage in top and influential global, pan-African and national media.
Objective – To develop a Pan African and international media engagement, public relations and implementation strategy – mapping out key media opportunities and a content calendar detailing media engagement for 2021.
- Develop a comprehensive media strategy to amplify the AGRF vision, objectives and theme for the year, as well as the creation of content and increased audience engagement
- Organize primetime talk shows, live TV interviews, and pre-recorded one-on-one interviews with top-tier national, pan-African and global media
- Produce thought leadership opinion pieces for the top leadership of AGRF partners, to be placed in national, regional, and international media
- Coordinate press around key AGRF events
- Gather information, conduct research, interview sources, and write news releases on the development on the key developments in the agricultural sector
- Respond to media inquiries and make appropriate referrals to company’s experts in a given field as delegated
- Monitor the AGRF and partner events and developments, identifying those with the greatest potential for media uptake
- Initiate media coverage of the AGRF through news releases, media advisories, press kits and other related materials
- Continually monitor press coverage and produce monthly media monitoring reports (daily reports during the AGRF summit week and other AGRF events).
- Initiate a working relationship with media reporters, editors, and producers and consequently develop an international media database for key journalist in the sector including online influencers and bloggers
- Conduct an annual opinion research to gauge AGRF’s perception among its publics and develop a public relations information database with key insights. Distill key messages for use in production of major communications collaterals and identify media positioning opportunities
- Provide guidance on the integration of traditional, emerging and social media for maximum impact
- Conduct regular market research and advise on emerging approaches to optimize media coverage
- Develop the annual media engagement strategy for the AGRF, including key messages.
- Produce key media communications collaterals including:
- A minimum of 15 press releases for Thematic Platforms, the AGRF Summit 2021 launch, releases pre, during and post the AGRF summit as well as other AGRF affiliated events
- A minimum of 12 Op-eds – for Thematic Platforms, the AGRF Summit launch and other AGRF events.
- Media alerts and advisories during each of the 5 days during the AGRF summit, blogs and partners’ briefs as well as provide editorial support for all forum materials.
- Produce a minimum of 15 talking points and speeches for all high level AGRF speakers
- Mobilize high level national, regional and international media including sponsored media to participate and cover the AGRF annual summit and other AGRF curated events.
- Manage the media registration and accreditation during the AGRF Summit 2021 and other AGRF curated events
- Organize and coordinate press events including briefing the speakers, preparation of media packs and management of interviews, have up to 25 media interviews with one for each of the 14 partners, 4 media briefing sessions and 3 field visits throughout the year in the lead-up to the AGRF 2021 summit and other AGRF curated events (if possible, in the context of COVID-19).
- Organise 4 media round tables (one per quarter) to connect key journalists to experts and AGRF partners to increase media understanding of the AGRF platform
- Manage all AGRF press conferences and create an online Media Press Room in advance and ensure it is always updated
- Manage all live media coverage during the AGRF Summit 2021 and other AGRF curated events
The Africa Food Prize (AFP) and Generation Africa
Under this work stream the consultant will:
- Drive media coverage for the AFP laureates, Go-Gettaz and Pitch Agrihack winners by organizing up to 10 high level media engagements leveraging on key dates. To support the engagements, the consult will provide briefing/speaking notes and speeches and generating media products including op-eds and placing them in high level media outlets.
- Produce key communications collateral including up to 8 op-eds, brochures, newsletters, fact sheets and blogs as well as provide editorial support for all prize materials.
- Provide media and communications support to drive nominations for the next cycle of the various competitions.
- Manage the opening and closing of nominations, announcement and award ceremony of the competition winners by organizing and managing approx. 4 press conferences/events, preparing and distributing up to 8 press releases, and organizing up to 10 media interviews for the laureates/ winners and the prize committee members.
- Manage all live media coverage during the award ceremonies
C. Social Media
Support the implementation of the AGRF’s digital and social media strategy.
Objective – To shape and execute the AGRF’s strategic direction for how we communicate, engage and drive conversations with key identified audiences and online communities on social media, messaging apps and through relevant influencers with the goal of defining a digital positioning and engagement strategy for the AGRF.
- Support the development of the AGRF’s social media and engagement and implementation strategy to define the AGRF’s overall approach to social media and ensure all efforts are focused on achieving AGRF mandate to inform, influence and catalyse actions emerging from the AGRF towards the visions set in the Malabo Declaration and related Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP), the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and Africa’s Agenda 2063.
- Conduct a social media audit including an analysis of current social media profiles, what is working and what’s not working and potential opportunities to engage audiences in the digital landscape
- Shape and iterate channel-centric strategies helping to build and nurture relationships with new and existing audiences and grow our social media communities
- Social listening to help inform AGRF’s editorial choices, and ensure daily conversations and audience insights are central to what we post, tweet, message, and share
- Work with the communications and content team to create, edit and deliver channel and audience -centric content and social media campaigns based on the AGRF’s operational priorities, annual theme and thematic platforms
- Online social media monitoring, audience mapping and reporting
- Social media and implementation plan
- Social media community management
- Social media audit report – bi-annual
- Social media content creation
- Monthly social media reporting
D. Graphic Design:
Objective – To develop AGRF’s visual identity and support application across multiple platforms
Key tasks and outputs:
- Event Design: Event design will incorporate visuals including:
- Save the date graphics
- Webinar link poster
- Social media graphics -Instagram (feed and stories), LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook
- Event posters and agenda with speaker profiles
- E-blast for MailChimp (HTML or as advised)
- Post event thank you notes
- Social media: Weekly social media tool kit graphics for Instagram (feed and stories), LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook
- Power point presentations with graphics
- Brochures and report graphical layout
- Monthly AGRF newsletter (HTML for MailChimp or as advised)
- Web articles and graphics
- Video graphics
The consultant will be supervised directly by the Senior Communications and Advocacy Officer, AGRF.
The consultancy will be for one year renewable twice based on performance and availability of budget.
Qualifications & competencies of Key personnel
1. Team Leader/Communications expert will have the following qualifications/competencies:
- Minimum of a master’s degree in International Relations, Political Science, Economics, Development Studies, Public Relations, Journalism, or related field.
- Planning and organizing: devises plans of action with explicit paths and measures of accomplishment for self and/or others and allocates suitable resources so that objectives are achieved. Strong administration skills
- Technical competencies for the position: demonstrates knowledge of all own work role specific issues. This encompasses the technical skills or knowledge required to perform the essential duties as described in this RFP.
- Accuracy and attention to detail: high level of accuracy, attention to detail and thoroughness. Ability to maintain a timely and efficient workflow.
- Managing resources: demonstrates the ability to plan and use resources (people and/or finance and/or physical assets) in accordance with AGRA guidelines and delegated accountability so that objectives are achieved in the most effective manner possible.
- Communication and interpersonal relations: exceptional communication skills and ability to represent AGRA externally at high levels. Demonstrates ability to maintain lasting, healthy, and effective one-to-one working relationships with colleagues, suppliers, customers, professional peers, etc.
- Intercultural sensitivity and effectiveness: Demonstrates ability to cross and bridge different racial, cultural, or business cultures. This requires and is exhibited by personal experience of international or cross-cultural business with improved achievements.
- Teamwork: demonstrates productive drive in working with peers, partners, consultants and others to achieve pre-targeted and measurable business results
- Explain if you intend to outsource any part of the deliverables to others, such as hiring freelancers (This carries additional risks that may affect project implementation, but properly done it offers a chance to access specialized skills).
2. Graphic Designer
- Training in Graphic Design or related field.
- Demonstrable experience in graphic design and proficient in Adobe Suite
- Familiarity with social media platforms and knowledge of best practices for infographic design and visualization.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to plan, prioritize and produce quality results on time.
3. Social Media expert
- Minimum 3 years in Digital Marketing
- Bachelor’s degree in media, communication, and/or marketing
- Experience developing digital media strategies
- Experience in crafting winning digital media campaigns
- Previous experience working within communications, digital media, or marketing agencies.
- Excellent communication skills (written & verbal)
- Expertise and experience in digital media buying, planning & execution.
- Experience and love for content writing
- Experience in community management
Experience of the firm
- Significant experience in development-related activities in Africa;
- Significant experience planning and coordinating major public events.
- Significant and increasingly responsible professional experience in strategic communications and media engagement; exposure to approaches and methods for stakeholder mapping, assessment and targeting an added advantage.
- Significant experience with detailed report preparation.
- Knowledge of training methods and approaches.
- Experience in similar assignments and Organizational capacity – 30%
- Proposed methodology and work plan for carrying out the assignment – 30%
- Key personnel – 40%
– Team Leader/Communications expert (20%)
– Graphic Designer (10%)
– Social Media expert (10%)
NB: Only the candidate with the best technical proposal equal or above 75% shall be considered for financial negotiations
Technical Proposals should comprise of the following:
- An understanding of the assignment requirements, expectations and deliverables
- The organizational profile and experience:
- Provide a brief description of the background and organization of your company/firm
- List only previous similar assignments successfully completed in the last 5 years: detailing the date; assignment name and brief description of key deliverables; name of client and country of assignment; contract budget (in US$ or Euros); and role on the assignment.
- List only those assignments for which you were legally contracted or was one of the joint venture partners.
- Description of approach, methodology and work-plan for performing the assignment
- The technical approach and methodology should explain the understanding of the assignment objectives; analytical strategies; and the degree of detail of expected outputs.
- The work plan should describe the implementation of the main activities/tasks of the assignment, their content and duration, phasing and interrelations, and tentative delivery dates of the deliverables. A list of the final deliverables (including reports) to be delivered as final output(s) should be included here.
- Assignment delivery plan
- Team composition and tasks assignment: describe the structure and composition of your team, including the list of the Key Experts and relevant technical and administrative support staff.
- Curriculum Vitae of team members with information on: Candidate’s bio-data; education; employment record relevant to the assignment – giving date, employer, country, and summary of activities performed relevant to the assignment; membership in professional associations and relevant publications.
Financial proposal must be provided in the prescribed format, RFP ANNEX A, supported with a breakdown analysis and will provide the following information, but is not limited to:
- Professional fees chargeable per day
- Breakdown of disbursements if applicable
- Must be submitted using the format provided, RFP Annex A: Financial Proposal
- Price must be quoted in USD
- All applicable taxes shall be included. If the financial proposal is silent on taxes, AGRA shall assume that these are inclusive.
- Financial proposal shall be valid for a period of 90 days from the date of bid closure.
- Financial proposal shall be sent as a separate attachment and MUST be password protected.
Guidelines for Preparations and Submission of Proposals
- The proposals SHALL be submitted to email@example.com by deadline indicated in the synopsis
- The proposal and ALL Attachments submitted via email SHALL NOT exceed 10MB
- VALIDITY of the proposal shall be for a period of 90 days from the date of bid closure.
- Financial proposal shall be sent as a separate attachment and MUST be password protected. The password shall be requested from firms that obtain 75% technical score and above.