Synopsis of the Request for Proposal
|Solicitation Reference No.:||00456/OPERATIONS/2019|
|Title:||Impact Evaluation of Decentralization in AGRA|
|Issuing Office & Address:||Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) Website: www.agra.org|
|Address for clarifications & questions:||AGRA General Procurement, Procurement@agra.org|
|Email address for submission of proposals||AGRA General Procurement, Procurement@agra.org|
|Solicitation Issue Date:||10th December 2019|
|Deadline for submission of questions and clarifications from consultants:||16th December 2019; 17:00hrs East African Time.|
|Deadline for submission of responses to questions and clarifications:||19th December 2019; 17:00hrs East African Time|
|Deadline for Submission of Proposals:||6th January 2020; 17:00 East African Time. Please include the subject line “Impact Evaluation of Decentralization in AGRA” in the email|
AGRA is a Pan-African Alliance led by Africans with roots in farming communities across the continent. We understand that African farmers need uniquely African solutions designed to meet their specific environmental and agricultural needs so they can sustainably boost production and gain access to rapidly growing agriculture markets.
- Our Mission
AGRA’s overall goal is to catalyze and sustain an inclusive agricultural transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security of at least 30 million smallholder farming households in Africa with a set of targeted catalytic downstream and systemic investments coupled with government engagement made through its alliance of partners.
AGRA’s new strategy (2017-2021) empowered regional and country teams to be at the frontline in the delivery of AGRA interventions in the countries. This decentralization has seen an upscaling of country teams to manage an integrated portfolio of ongoing programs as well as new initiatives. The decentralization has also brought about complexities in matrix reporting relationships and decision making has moved away from centralized control and closer to country management teams.
- Overall Objective
AGRA seeks to procure the services of a specialized consulting firm with adequate capacity & expertise to undertake an evaluation of impact of decentralization across AGRA countries namely Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Ghana, Nigeria, Mali, Burkina Faso, Malawi, Mozambique and South Sudan.
The overall objective for this consultancy will be: –
- To establish the efficiency, effectiveness, relevance and impact of decentralization
- Measure the level of satisfaction of in-country teams with decentralization and arising matrix reporting management.
- Advise whether AGRA is effectively positioned and resourced to achieve maximum impact through decentralization.
- Assist AGRA management, determine the need for follow-up on any emerging interventions, and general direction for future actions.
- Scope of Work
The appointed Consultant/Firm will be expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Conduct a qualitative and quantitative evaluation of the impact of decentralization on AGRA.
- Conduct desktop review of AGRA strategy, organization structure and other relevant documents to familiarize themselves with the mandate of AGRA and assignment requirements.
- Develop assignment execution tools including survey instruments, and share with AGRA’s Chief Operating Officer (COO) for approval.
- During the course of the assignment, the consultant is expected to visit at least six (6) AGRA country offices including Kenya. The exact countries shall be agreed upon during the inception meeting.
- Conduct interviews with AGRA management and country teams to establish work processes and relationships.
- Document outcomes of the interviews/meetings with various stakeholders including challenges of decentralization and possible mitigating factors
- Undertake data analysis and prepare a comprehensive report.
- Make recommendations on short and long term strategies to sustain and enhance impact of delivery by country offices.
- Present findings of the evaluation to the COO.
- Assignment Duration
The contracted party (firm or individual) will be expected to complete the assignment in 60 calendar days from the date of commencement.
- Consultant Qualification Requirements
- AGRA is looking for a recognized and experienced firm with relevant and demonstrated professional experience in conducting similar assignments.
- Strong international comparative experience in the field of decentralization and local development including: policy, legal and regulatory reform related to decentralization; rural development among others.
- The team leader for this assignment must have demonstrable solid experience in leading and executing similar assignments.
- Sound knowledge and awareness of issues related to AGRA’s work & mandate.
- Experience using a range of qualitative evaluation methodologies to assess program results at individual/household, institutional, sector and policy level.
- Country/regional experience relative to the programs to be evaluated.
- Thorough understanding of key elements of results-based program management.
- Demonstrated capacity for strategic thinking, and excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Strong task management and team leading competencies.
- Language skills relevant to the evaluation.
- Application Submission Requirements
The proposal should include:
- Demonstrated relevant experience in handling similar assignments in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Demonstrate own understanding and interpretation of the terms of reference;
- Outline the methodology to be used in undertaking the assignment;
- Share copies of CVs and certificates/ testimonials of the key experts to carry out the assignment;
- Provide a detailed work plan/activity schedule for the assignment.
Additional Documents Required:
- A copy of certificate of incorporation;
- Copies of tax compliance certificate;
- PIN & VAT Registration Certificate;
- Attach company profile and details of physical address of the company i.e. town, street, building, floor and contact person(s) etc.;
- A breakdown of the financial proposal in USD indicating daily rate and total fees for the assignment;
- Estimate the total reimbursable costs to cover travel and accommodation costs in six countries to be covered in this assignment;
- Applicable withholding taxes and or VAT should be quoted separately;
- If the financial proposal is silent on taxes, AGRA shall assume that these are inclusive;
- Use template provided in Annex 1 for financial proposal.
- Deliverables/Structure of the Report
The consultant shall provide the following key deliverables:
- An inception report within one week from start of the assignment
- A draft report including key findings within 5 weeks from start of the assignment
- A final report within 8 weeks containing at least the following:
- An Executive Summary
- Assignment structure and methodology
- The data collection Instruments
- Analysis of key areas
- Key findings
- Summary and conclusions
- Reporting Requirements
The consultant shall report to the Chief Operating Officer
- Evaluation Criteria
|Experience and Organizational Criteria i.e. Experience in similar services (Previous experience in similar work will be a distinct advantage)||25%|
| Proposed work plan and approach criteria|
Demonstrated understanding of requirements/comments on the terms of references
Proposed methodology/concept and approach
Proposed work plan
|10% 20% 5%|
|Qualification and experience of Key personnel||40%|
|Total of 100%|
- Procedure for Submission of Proposals
- Technical and Financial Proposals must be submitted separately to email@example.com by 6th January 2020; 17:00 East African Time.
- The subject of the email MUST read “Impact Evaluation of Decentralization in AGRA”. AGRA shall not be liable for not opening proposals that are submitted with a different subject.
- Technical and Financial proposals shall be submitted as separate documents. Financial proposals should be password protected and will not be opened until the conclusion of the technical evaluation. Only financial proposals of consultants meeting a minimum of 75% of technical score shall be opened.
- The Financial proposals shall include all applicable taxes quoted separately. If taxes are not mentioned in the financial proposal, AGRA shall consider them to be inclusive in the prices provided.
- Neither technical nor financial proposals shall exceed 10MB.
Questions and/or clarifications may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 16th December 2019; 17:00hrs East African Time. Responses to clarifications will be shared on 19th December 2019; 17:00hrs East African Time.
AGRA reserves the right to determine the structure of the process, number of short-listed participants, the right to withdraw from the proposal process, the right to change this timetable at any time without notice and reserves the right to withdraw this tender at any time, without prior notice and without liability to compensate and/or reimburse any party.