Synopsis of the Request for Quotation
|Solicitation Reference No.||RFP/CSD-369/2019|
|Title of Solicitation||Development of a Dispute Settlement Hotline And Tracking Mechanism For Complaints Arising From Cross-Border Trade.|
|Issuing Office & Address||Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) Website: www.agra.org|
|Point of contact for clarifications, questions and ammendments||AGRA General Procurement, Procurement@agra.org|
|Email Address for submission of Proposals/ Quotes||AGRA General Procurement, Procurement@agra.org|
|Solicitation Issue Date||December 13, 2019 Local, East African Time.|
|Deadline for Answering questions and clarifications||December 18, 2019 17:00 Local, East African Time.|
|Deadline for Submission of Quotations||January 10, 2020 17:00 Local, East African Time. Please include the subject line “RFP/CSD-369/2019 Cross Boarder Trade Hotline” in the email|
|Anticipated Award Type||CONSULTANCY AGREEMENT|
|Evaluation Criteria||Evaluation Criteria Total score: 100%|
TERMS OF REFERENCE
- OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
To engage an independent consultant to develop a mechanism for monitoring cross-border trade and communicating bottlenecks to trade back to relevant government authorities, including the Regional Commissioner’s Office.
The consultant is expected to conduct a thorough scoping of policy, regulatory, procedural, and administrative bottlenecks to cross-border trade in Kigoma Region and come out with recommendations for addressing the trade impediments. The consultant needs to explore how effective the summit or other dialogues may become or what to improve on. The output foreseen from this assignment is establishing of a tracking desk at a relevant government agency, e.g., the RC office for receiving and resolving challenges reported. In providing the consultancy services, the consultants will work closely with public and private sectors, stakeholders and Cross border facilitating agencies to arrive to optimal solution
Agriculture is an important sector in Tanzania, employing about 80 percent of the Tanzanian population. The sector contributes 95 percent of the country’s food requirements and accounts for about 26.7 percent of the GDP. Despite its importance to the economy, the sector faces several constraints and among them are bottlenecks related to marketing of the agricultural produce in cross-border markets. Thus, there is a need to develop a mechanism for real-time monitoring of the bottlenecks faced by traders along the trade corridors, especially at the border crossing points and communicating these bottlenecks back to relevant Government Authorities that can take action to resolve the problems.
The Lake Tanganyika Business Summit that took place in Kigoma in May 2019 which brought together participants from Burundi, Rwanda, Democratic Republic of Congo and the host Tanzania, highlighted a number of challenges faced by the private sector businesses that are involved in Cross-Border Trade. Some processes and procedures, as well as regulations and taxes that are applied deter rather than promote cross-border trade. There is a need to reform the current systems, regulations and procedures to promote trade. There is also a need for establishing a mechanism through which traders and Government Agencies mandated to solve trade problems can communicate. Such a mechanism will enable traders to report problems as they encounter them, and for government agency to provide timely resolution of the reported problem.
The assignment will cover Kigoma Region because of its significance as the gateway to neighboring countries i.e. Burundi, Rwanda, Democratic Republic of Congo and Zambia. The level of cross-border trade conducted through Kigoma Region has declined over the years as per the testimony of participants at the Lake Tanganyika Business Summit held on 9-11 May, 2019 and the Kigoma Regional Business Council on 30 August, 2019. To return Kigoma to its former role as a strategic gateway for trade and fully exploit its geographical location for cross-border trade, there is a need to identify and revolve policy, regulatory, administrative, and procedural bottlenecks to trade.
AGRA Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led, African-based organization focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs most Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent. AGRA currently works in 11 countries namely, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Nigeria, Mozambique, Mali, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Rwanda and Malawi.
- SCOPE OF WORK
The consultant is expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Attend a kick-off meeting to clarify expectations and agree on approach
- Identify and prioritize all the policy, regulatory, procedural, and administrative challenges that are currently constraining cross-border in Kigoma Region for the agriculture products.
- Carry out a stakeholder mapping for all the public, private, CSOs etc., the stakeholders in cross-border trade.
- Review the current business process of all the agencies in order to gain a complete understanding of current procedures and identify challenges that deter cross-border trade.
- Design a hotline for receiving problem and conflict settlement, and tracking desk connecting the Government Agencies and Private Sector
- Undertake a business plan or modelling for the sustainability of the hotline desk and tracking desk. How can this be managed sustainably – what options are there? And what are the costs and revenue streams look like?
- Recommend changes required and improvements needed to promote cross border trade in Kigoma.
- Based on the assessments of challenges in the region; he will propose recommendations for addressing the challenges and NOT all challenges will be resolved by a hotline desk by providing a menu of comprehensive recommendations for addressing the issues these may include capacity gaps of officials or government; information limitations (may require a desk); limited interaction between traders and government, may require revamping the summit or improving its effectiveness etc.
- Present results to government and private sector stakeholder for validation and action
OUTPUT AND DELIVERABLES
Inception report (including proposed methodology, data sources, and initial findings).
Presentation of preliminary findings to stakeholders for validation
Final report (including methodology, data sources, and findings).
APPLICATION SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
The proposal should include:
- Technical Proposal
- Understanding of the issue (how well the candidate understands the gap the study intends to fill)
- Appropriateness of the proposed methodology
- Qualifications of the lead investigator(s) (should possess qualifications in one of the following fields: agricultural economics or economics, finance, business/commerce, public policy & administration or closely related field)
- Report writing skills (at least two sample reports from previous studies will be required)
- Relevant experience (e.g., research in the field of agricultural policy and regulations, system development, ICT solutions in agriculture etc.)
- Understanding of Tanzania’s agricultural policy landscape (e.g., affiliation to a local policy network, established linkages to private and public activities related to agriculture or agricultural policies or trade in Tanzania)
- Financial Proposal
- A breakdown of the financial proposal in USD indicating daily rate for each of the proposed experts, time input and all applicable reimbursable expenses (international and/or local transport, accommodation as applicable);
- All applicable taxes (VAT and withholding taxes) should be quoted separately;
- If the financial proposal is silent on taxes, AGRA shall assume that these are inclusive;
- Other costs, e.g. accommodation, travel, support staff, printing and other incidental costs will be reimbursed based on the actual costs incurred.
- Use the template provided under annex 1 for the financial proposal
NB: Interviews with the best consultants(s) may be considered
- CRITERIA FOR EVALUATION
The following criteria shall be used during technical evaluation:
|Technical approach and methodology|| Provide a detailed methodology that demonstrate an excellent understanding of the issue (how well the candidate understands the gap the study intends to fill)|
Report writing skills (at least two sample reports from previous studies will be required)
Relevant experience (e.g., research in the field of agricultural policy and regulations, system development, ICT solutions in agriculture etc.)
Understanding of Tanzania’s agricultural policy landscape (e.g., affiliation to a local policy network, established linkages to private and public activities related to agriculture or agricultural policies or trade in Tanzania)
|Key Experts’ qualifications and competence for the Assignment|| Provide CVs of the proposed Key personnel for the below positions: |
Experience in engaging with and presenting policy research to senior government decision makers.
A clear understanding of the policy process: initiation, estimation, selection, implementation, evaluation, and termination, will be an added advantag
eGood understanding of policy and regulatory opportunities and challenges in Tanzania’s Agricultural Sector
Higher degree (MA, MSc, MBA, Ph.D.) in agricultural economics, economics, Business/commerce, public policy & administration is required
Project management skills and system thinking in providing solution that cut across several layers of stakeholders
Strong report writing skills (sample reports prepared by candidate will be required)
Experience in designing research methodology and developing data collection instruments Higher degree (MA, MSc, MBA, Ph.D.) in agricultural economics, economics, Business/commerce, public policy & administration is required
|Work Plan||Provide a detailed work plan scheduling all the activities to be undertaken; required resources and expected milestones to achieve the required outputs.||5%|
|Specific experience of the consultant relevant to the Assignment:|
1. Provide least two-sample reports from previous studies that you have undertaken in similar assignment that demonstrate excellent report writing skills.
2. Provide at least three references of previous assignments done that demonstrate:
Proven record of conducting high-quality management, economics or related research. Experience in designing ICT solutions in the field of agriculture or trade & commerce is an added advantage. Good understanding of policy and regulatory opportunities and challenges in Tanzania’s agricultural sector
|Total Weighted of technical proposal shall be out of 70%|
NB: Only proposals above 75% shall be considered for financial evaluation
Total weighted of the financial proposal shall be out of 30%
- The proposals SHALL be submitted to email@example.com by January 10, 2020 ; 17:00 East Africa, Local Time
- The proposal and ALL Attachments submitted via email SHALL NOT exceed 10MB
- Interested Consultant MUST
Provide the following documents:
- TAX compliance certificate
- Technical Proposal (including technical approach/methodology; workplan; CVs all key staffs required to undertake the assignment and reference letters)
- Provide least two sample reports from previous studies done in similar assignment
- Financial Proposal quoted in USD inclusive of all professional fees, reimbursables and applicable taxes (The Financial Offer shall be password protected. The password shall be requested after the deadline for submission of proposals from consultants meeting the minimum technical score)
- OTHER CONDITIONS OF ASSIGNMENT ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- PRICES to be quoted in USD. Bidder shall include all professional fees, reimbursables and all taxes required to deliver the assignment.
- PAYMENT will be made as follows:
- Inception Report- 10%
- Draft Report- 30%
- Final Report- 60%
- VALIDITY of your price proposal shall be for a period of 90 days from the date of your bid closure.
Annex 1: DOWNLOAD Summary of Costs, Breakdown of Remuneration and breakdown of reimbursable expenses here – https://agra.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/RFP-CSD-369-2019-Cross-Border-Trade-Hotline-templates.docx