REQUEST FOR CONCEPT NOTE ISSUED: 6th AUGUST 2018
EXPIRATION DATE: 20th AUGUST 2018; 5 PM (LOCAL TIME).
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA has partnered with the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) to address the challenge of linking new crop varieties and improved soil fertility management research outputs to smallholder beneficiaries of IFAD-supported loan programme – Participatory Small-Scale Irrigation Development Programme (PASIDP) in Ethiopia. To achieve the above objective, AGRA will work closely with IFAD country teams and Project Coordination Unit (PCU) to strengthen capacities in: (i) promotion and dissemination of improved seed and soil fertility management technologies, and (ii) generation, documentation and sharing of knowledge.
To support this strategic partnership, AGRA invites submission of concept notes from potential partner organizations in Ethiopia to implement interventions that are detailed in section II.
- ELIGIBLE ACTIVITIES
|Target Country||Proposed interventions|
|Ethiopia||Build the capacity of Farmer Training Centres (FTC) to facilitate dissemination of soil fertility technologies in PASIDP target regions of Oromia, Tigray, Amhara and SNNP (One Grant not exceeding $300,000)
· Build capacity of FTCs to provide skills and knowledge of integrated soil fertility management technologies with special consideration to uptake and use of conservation agriculture practices, blended fertilizers, lime, and bio-fertilizers to PASIDP target beneficiaries.
· Establish on-farm demonstrations and conduct farmer field days to promote and create mass awareness of PASIDP target crops and integrated soil fertility management practices.
Strengthening the capacity of PASIDP staff and stakeholders on conservation agriculture practices (One grant not exceeding $300,000)
· Build a pool of trainer of trainers (TOTs) of PASIDP staff and implementing partners in conservation agriculture practices and scaling up pathways.
· Create strong coordination between input producers in PASIDP target regions and distributers by linking fertilizer blenders, direct seed marketers, farmer service centres with cooperatives.
Funding requests can be for a period of 12 to 20 months but must not go beyond 30th June 2020.
Interested institutions/organizations must meet the following eligible requirements:
- Grantees must be operational in Ethiopia with valid registration documents.
- The organization’s primary business activity must be in Ethiopia
- The organization’s registration to do business in Ethiopia must be current.
- The organization must be in a sound financial condition.
- The organization must have sufficient existing capability/capacity to perform the proposed work. AGRA may consider limited financial assistance to fund capacity building only if the concept note is determined to be of interest to AGRA.
- The organization must have a demonstrated excellent past performance record.
- The organization must have accounting systems acceptable to AGRA and corporate integrity/ethics.
- The organization must not be excluded from the eligibility to receive AGRA’s donor-provided funds.
If an institution/organization meets the above eligibility criteria AGRA will request additional documentation to be submitted as part of the pre-award process. Organizations are advised that any funds made available are subject to AGRA’s strict accountability and audit test.
No promise explicit or implicit is made to any Institutions/organizations/firms submitting a concept note to AGRA on making any funds available (including reimbursement of document preparation costs).
PERIOD CONCEPT NOTE WILL BE ACCEPTED
This RFCN remains open for a period of 14 days from 6th August to 20th August 2018. Interested Institutions/organizations may submit their applications any time up to the submission deadline. Concept note submission deadline is 20th August 2018, 5pm Local Time.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
Institutions/organizations/firms must follow the instructions mentioned below and must submit their applications using the concept note template that can be downloaded in the AGRA website at the link: http://bit.ly/2xKbVMl and the budget template that can be downloaded in the AGRA website at the link: https://bit.ly/2Kl5BvQ
Only those Institutions/organizations/firms whose concept notes AGRA determined to be of interest will be contacted. AGRA will not return any concept notes submitted.
Applications in response to this RFCN must be received at AGRA designated point of applications: firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, any inquiry pertinent to this RFCN should be submitted to the same address. Applications received after RFCN Expiration Date (above) will not be considered.