Public Relations Assistant: Job Reference PRA/01/2019
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs most Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation from a country perspective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Public Relations Assistant.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Reporting to the Senior Administration Officer, the Public Relations Assistant in the HR & Administration Unit provides general administrative support by providing front office support and completing tasks such as answering general office queries, copying, filing and assembles communication kits to staff. S/he creates and distributes relevant communication and informative material for the HR & Administration Unit, sends out staff surveys, assists in creating HR & Administration campaigns, conducts researches and oversees social media content relating to the unit. The role also acts as the focal security coordination center for the organization.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Front Office Support
- Provide front office desk support – receive and respond to emails, answer the telephone, respond to public and staff inquiries and maintain the public image of the unit as necessary.
- Map Security brief to visitors regarding safety and parking.
- Coordinate hospitality arrangements with general assistance staff.
Coordination of meeting rooms and related facilities.
- Undertake administrative tasks including updating and maintaining records, copying and filing.
- Undertake a shared lead in facility management
- Support any clerical duties as assigned from time to time.
- Support security awareness coordination by disseminating information to staff and issue relevant security/travel advisories as necessary.
- Adopt a regionwide approach to security and work closely with industry peers to ensure AGRA’s staff is well updated on Security.
- Support development and distribution of HR & Administration materials for staff reading and awareness creation. This can include brochures, pamphlets, newsletters, videos and sell sheets.
- Drive the gathering of materials for university fairs, shows or presentations.
- Draft for approval and disseminate communications about HR or any administrative activities to all staff in a timely, consistent and accurate manner using relevant and appropriate platforms.
- Be the to go to person between AGRA’s communications unit and the HR & Administration unit on all matter’s communication regarding content required for social media, press releases and emails.
Key Qualifications and Experience required:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in an administrative function, managing information, communications and or public relations
- Computer proficiency and familiarity with a range of software applications
- Experience working for non-profit organization or public enterprise.
- Specialized training in public relations or communications is preferred.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management, Public Relations, Government Relations, Public Administration, Business Administration or equivalent degree from a recognized University/Institution
- Able to work independently in a diverse environment
- Experience in working with similar organizations or institutions will be an added advantage.
- Thoroughly familiar with and experience in working with travel logistics and regulations and reporting requirements
- Analytical, excellent data mining ability
- Evidence of the practice of high level of confidentiality
- Strong ability to influence positively both upwards and downwards
- Proven leadership ability to influence, develop and empower employees to achieve their best with a team approach
- Deep understanding of the environment within which AGRA is operating
- Results and detail orientated with a very hands-on approach
- Excellent organizational and problem solving & decision-making skills
- Intelligent, motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and work ethic
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to email@example.com. Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received by 22nd April 2019.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer