Program Officer, State Capability: Job Reference PO/KE/11/2018
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation from a country perspective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Program Officer to support the State Capability Unit.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Reporting to the Head of State Capability, the Programme Officer (PO) under the State Capability Unit will be responsible for overseeing technical interventions that will enhance governments capacity to deliver on their agriculture plans and vision in AGRA focused countries. The PO serves as a technical advisor on various government support interventions, support country teams in areas of government support as well as the State capability unit. S/he will be considered an expert resource on State Capability issues and will be expected to participate actively in internal and external strategy discussions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supporting country teams to develop new generation of State Capability support interventions;
- Taking lead in developing State Capability related proposals with support from respective country teams especially the country manager and task leader on State Capability support interventions;
- Following up and coordinating grantees (under State Capacity Unit) activities;
- Providing capacity building to country teams and AGRA staff on AGRA’s government support approach;
- Providing back stopping support to country and regional State Capability support teams,
- Providing regular progress reports on State Capability support activities;
- Tracking State Capability programs’ implementation and proving support to country teams working on State Capability interventions;
- Providing Support with the review of country operation plans for State Capability;
- Coordinating State Capacity Unit’s relations with Regional Economic Communities;
- Following up and coordinating grantees (under State Capacity Unit) activities
- Following up with Compact signing;
- Managing consultants’ work under state capability unit;
- Providing support in developing training materials and guidelines related to state capability unit;
- Providing Support in developing training materials and guidelines related to state capability;
- Organizing State Capability related workshops and trainings;
- Provide regular verbal and written updates and briefings on program operations, achievements, and problems to the Head of State Capability between official reports.
Key Qualifications and Experience required:
- At least a Masters in agriculture economics, social sciences, monitoring and evaluation or any relevant qualification with a focus on economic policy, public administration, project management;
- At least 8 years’ experience in implementation of policy programs with government, development partners or other such institutions;
- Demonstrated ability to make a major contribution to the direction of AGRA’s State Capability unit and to deliver its goals and objectives.
- Strong understanding of Africa’s policy and political landscape as it relates to intra-regional food market and food trade;
- Strong relationships with key national, regional and international partners working on state capability and policy development;
- Experience in policy research and analysis;
- Experience in project management;
- Experience in M&E;
- Demonstrable ability to work in complex work dynamics and challenges. Able to adapt rapidity to new technical areas.
- Good team working skills;
- Ability to deliver high quality products under pressure;
- Excellent written and spoken English; must have strong analytical skills and demonstrable ability to engage government, development partners and private sector.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to email@example.com. Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received by 13th December, 2018.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer