Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
Under its 5-year strategy, AGRA looks to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
The seed sector is key to driving agricultural transformation. A successful seed sector requires the active participation of the private sector to drive innovations and investments that are necessary to enhance access and affordability of certified seeds. Enabling policy and regulatory environment both at the national and subnational levels is critical for attracting private sector investments and consequently, driving the growth of the sector to be able to satisfy quantity and quality needs for certified seeds. Prior seed policy programs have focused on national level issues and constraints. However, it is becoming increasingly clear that policy and regulatory bottlenecks at the local government authorities’ (LGAs) level are equally important and deserve attention.
AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Program Officer for Seed Policy to support work aimed at improving seed policy and regulatory reforms at the LGAs level.
The role will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
The Program Officer for Seed Policy is an exciting position within AGRA’s new project for strengthening seed policy and regulations at the local government level.
The Strengthening seed policy and regulations project will include the following strategic components:
- To work with the private sector, agro dealers and local government authorities to identify and prioritize problem policies, regulations and administrative practices that deters investments and growth of the seed sector at the local government authorities
- Conducting legal and economic analysis on the prioritized problem policies, regulations and administrative practices and providing the research-evidence needed to persuade decision makers in the government about the merits and worth of reforming the problem policies, regulations and administrative practices
- Working in close collaboration with the private sector and the local think tanks to drive, monitor and coordinate reform activities in the Tanzania seed sector.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical assistance and backstopping to governments through ministries of agriculture and PO-RALG to diagnose and assess, prioritize and reform policies, laws, regulations and administrative practices that constrain seed sector
- Support Country Manager in messaging and engaging with relevant government ministries, departments, and agencies on topics of seed policies and regulations, particularly at the LGAs level
- Assist country teams in development of grant proposals in the areas of seed policies, regulations and administrative practices.
- Provide technical assistance to grantees and assist in monitoring progress of implementation of seed policy grants.
- Supports the development of quarterly and annual reports and other reports, as needed, in compliance with the requirements of USAID and other partners; as well as provide regular verbal and written updates and briefings on program operations, achievements, and problems to the Country Manager and the Head of Policy.
- Support AGRA’s engagement with national governments and donors for the design and implementation of appropriate policies and institutions to create an enabling environment for investment by smallholder farmers and agribusinesses;
- Collaborate with staff in other AGRA Programs to identify and overcome policy-related constraints on technology development, dissemination and uptake;
- Identify, develop, and maintain strong relationships with other partners working to improve seed policies in Africa;
- Develop and nurture networks of policy grantees to develop, advocate and ensure the implementation of policies that drive agricultural growth.
- Work closely with the Head of Department in engagements with the Results Management Unit to develop a clear M&E plan for the policy program and the execution of the same.
- Any other tasks that may be assigned.
Key Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Economics, Economics, Public Policy or in other relevant disciplines. A master’s degree will be an added advantage;
- At least five (5) years of experience on the seed sector and the policy process and engagements with government and the private sector;
- Demonstrated understanding of Africa’s policy and political economy landscape as it relates to the agriculture sector in general and the seed sub-sector in particular;
- Deep knowledge of the seed sub-sector and the public and private sector systems that support it, and the related policy, regulatory and administrative bottlenecks that deter the seed sub-sector from attaining its full potential
- Possesses a good understanding of the operations and practices at the local government level and how those operations and practices affect the seed industry at the LGAs;
- Demonstrable ability to work in complex work dynamics and challenges. Able to adapt rapidity to new technical areas;
- Ability to develop sound project reports that can be understood by a wider stakeholder audience;
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem solving, programming and decision-making skills;
- Good team working skills;
- Ability to process multiple tasks at once; and with exceptional attention to detail;
- A desire to keep ahead of new and evolving discourse around policies in agriculture as well as seed sub-sector both at national and subnational levels;
- Ability to move from program concept to on-the-ground reality in line with AGRA’s mission;
- Ability to travel up to 25% – 35% domestically and internationally to engage with AGRA teams and government units in AGRA’s focus countries.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to email@example.com. Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received by 24th February, 2020.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer