Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyse Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the centre of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a new 5-year strategy to catalyse and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyses change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the centre to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
One key program within AGRA’s strategy focuses on promoting regional food trade and food markets through policy predictability and market systems development across AGRA’s 11 priority countries in East, West, and Southern Africa.
To support the successful delivery of this programmatic focus, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Program Officer, Regional Food Trade & Resilience.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Program Officer for Regional Trade & Resilience is an exciting position within AGRA’s new Africa Food Trade and Resilience Initiative that will lead field-based implementation of technical activities to remove cross border trade bottlenecks, facilitate and accelerate regional trade in staple foods. The incumbent will serve as a technical advisor on the development of regional market systems and will be a thought leader in shaping the development of the Africa Food Trade and Resilience initiative and managing a portfolio of investments that promote regional food markets and food trade.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Under Resilience, the Program Officer will;
- Create/innovate and/or strengthen integrated institutional frameworks and mechanisms for building in resilience in regional food systems movement from farm to fork.
- Utilize the latest evidence on climate smart agriculture practices, climate modeling, future climate risks to improve the resilience of agriculture food systems.
- Support the scaling up of integrated approaches for proven resilient food systems in-country and at regional level. Using evidence to inform sectoral and regional plans which guide investment into resilient approaches
- Undertake and promote global environmental benefits and agro-ecosystem resilience as a result of development and mainstreaming of resilient and integrated approaches to food systems across countries.
- Stimulate development of platforms of state and non-state actors to pursue evidence based decision making for greater system resilience and sustainability.
- Provide technical support related to climate resilience and environmental protection within AGRA linking to other initiatives and regional strategies.
- Coordination, reporting and knowledge management across the project interventions to enhance learning, programmatic impact, visibility and coherence in relation to system resilience and sustainability.
Under Program management, the Program Officer will;
- Support the convening of the coalition of partners that drive evidence-based policy advocacy and government engagement to improve policy transparency, resilience and predictability to unlock regional food trade and investment.
- Support the development of intellectual capital around policy predictability in the sustainable agriculture sector as well the consolidation and sharing with a wider stakeholder base in a way that builds alignment and drives action.
- Support the creation and maintenance of strong linkages and partnerships to ensure that policy is informed by the concerns and needs of private companies operating in regional food markets and that the program leverages on these for result-oriented business led advocacy efforts.
- Support the identification and management of international, regional, and national technical experts in areas covered by the program, including market analysis, climate smart agriculture, value chain coordination, structured trade and market facilitation; in a way that creates efficiency in achieving overall program objectives.
- Support project documentation to include but not limited to reviewing, finalizing, and presenting proposals and grant memos at regular meetings of the Grants Committee in order to ensure timely implementation of the program.
- Support program visibility by maintaining relationships across agricultural and climate policy actors in the region and representing the program in targeted national and regional fora.
- Support the management of annual program budgets and program performance management in a way that ensures value for money and demonstrates programmatic impact.
- Support the development of quarterly and annual reports and other reports, as needed, in compliance with the requirements of DFID and other partners; as well as provide regular verbal and written updates and briefings on program operations, achievements, and problems to the Head, Regional Food Trade and other program staff.
Key Qualifications and Experience required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Economics, or in a relevant discipline. A master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- At least eight (5) years of experience on agricultural development, food trade and markets and resilience/climate smart agriculture.
- Experience in the project programming. Experience in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning will be an added advantage.
- Ability to develop sound project reports that can be understood by a wider stakeholder audience.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem solving, programming and decision-making skills.
- Ability to process multiple tasks at once; and with exceptional attention to detail.
- A desire to keep ahead of new and evolving discourse around policies in agriculture as well as food trade and market trends and resilience.
- Ability to move from program concept to on-the-ground reality in line with AGRA’s mission.
- Ability to demonstrable fluency in program finance.
- Good command of English required and a working knowledge of French would be an additional advantage.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to email@example.com. Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer