Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers in 11 countries (Burkina Faso, Ghana, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mali, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda). Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation from a country perspective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Program Officer.
Reporting to the Country Manager, the Program Officer will be responsible for executing country strategy through grant-making and stakeholder convening, relevant country government relations and policy development and relevant country business development and resource mobilization. The position will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Support AGRA’s engagement with national and regional governments, donors, development partners and grantees for the design and implementation of grants
- Support the Country Manager in closely managing and monitoring of grants
- Support the design and implementation of policy, regulatory and institutional reforms with the aim of creating an enabling environment for investment by smallholder farmers and agribusinesses;
- Support the Country Manager to meet the country level key performance targets and contribute to the AGRA institutional goals;
- Identify, develop and maintain strong relationships with other partners who are working to improve food and agricultural systems;
- Support the government in creation of Clusters in key agricultural production areas;
- Identify, support and guide efforts that enable smallholder farmers and farmers’ cooperatives to market their products and capture value from downstream activities;
- Lead efforts to facilitate economic transactions between value chain players and smallholder farmers;
- Work with financial institutions to develop financial products that are friendly to smallholder farmer, agro-dealers, input companies, traders and processors;
- Convene stakeholders and promote the agricultural transformation agenda;
- Manage consortiums;
- Identify potential grantees and work with them to develop impactful interventions;
- Liaise with AGRA technical experts to develop appropriate partnerships and design and manage grants;
- Collaborate across AGRA to identify and overcome policy-related constraints on technology development, dissemination and uptake;
- Support efforts to strengthen national capacities for policy design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Serve as advisor to the Country Manager on key challenges and opportunities for delivery and execution of the AGRA strategy.
Key Qualifications and Experience required
- A Master’s degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Public Finance, Public Administration, Law or related disciplines.
- A relevant Doctorate degree will be an added advantage
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in project management, grant making and in leading policy-related development initiatives primarily in Africa;
- At least three (3) years’ Senior-level experience designing and implementing policy and regulatory reform in public sector;
- Experience managing complex initiatives with proven ability to develop high impact partnerships; and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a team orientation and strong collaborative skills.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 22nd March, 2018.
For more information on AGRA, please visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer