Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation from a country perspective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Program Officer, Advocacy (Research & Data Analytics).
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Reporting to the Head, Policy & Advocacy, the Program Officer, Advocacy (Research & Data Analytics) will assist other AGRA Program Officers in identifying and presenting underlying trends and patterns in macro and micro variables relevant to AGRA’s mandate. S/he will develop datasets and perform advanced analytics, aiming to measure, interpret, and predict trends and patterns of relevance to AGRA.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working closely with AGRA programs to identify policy, institutional and regulatory constraints to the success of AGRA programmatic interventions and contributing towards a comprehensive policy strategy;
- Review and/or unpack governments strategies and visions and pick key policy issues and generate empirical evidence on what is (and what is not) working to drive agriculture transformation;
- Remaining current with relevant major macro-economic and micro-economic policy changes and carry out analytical work associated with the changes to generate evidence to inform and guide policy and regulatory reforms in AGRA focus countries;
- Initiate and maintain a high level and quality of engagement, partnership and dialogue with key stakeholders including: national governments, development partners; donors; civil society and private sector on strategic and policy issues concerning agricultural transformation in AGRA target countries;
- Undertaking Ex-ante and Ex-post Economic Impact Assessment of AGRA’s policy and regulatory reform operations; review grantee or sub-grantee Impact Assessment studies; and carry out any revisions to the Ex-ante and Ex-post Economic Impact Assessment framework on the basis of implementation experience and lessons from other development support organizations;
- Supporting AGRA’s M&E operations to generate measurable indicators to inform the AGRA’s Policy and Advocacy strategic agenda of creating enabling policy environment for agricultural transformation in AGRA focus countries;
- Preparing policy briefs, book chapters, or background papers that feed into broader evidence generation of AGRA’s quest for policy reforms as well as resource mobilization;
- Conducting research and macro-economic analyses in the areas supporting the AGRA’s strategy, including strengthening knowledge generation in the area of inclusive policy analysis and advocacy; agricultural growth in response to CAADP commitments by AGRA’s target countries
- Evaluating and assessing the relevance of agricultural policies across AGRA target countries and working with farming communities to develop frameworks for transformative policies;
- Working with governments, development partners, civil society actors and private sector to carry out policy and regulatory framework situation analysis and develop grant proposals to address policy bottlenecks that limit private sector investments in agricultural transformation in AGRA target countries;
- Monitoring and evaluating the impacts of agricultural policies on key indicators of agricultural productivity growth and farm household income;
- Quantifying the actual and potential/scaled impacts of innovative models emerging from AGRA’s portfolio of investments;
- Identifying, acquiring, loading, cleaning and managing data through tailored spreadsheets, templates, and databases;
- Applying appropriate statistical principles, identifying, analyzing, and interpreting trends or patterns in complex datasets;
- Tracking the implementation and impact of AGRA supported policies and regulatory frameworks on private sector investments in agriculture sector
- Developing graphs, reports, maps, and presentations of data and analytical results for distribution within and outside AGRA; and
- In collaboration with others, creating and implementing web-based and non-web-based surveys and conducting analysis with policy implications for AGRA and its programs.
Key Qualifications and Experience required:
- A PhD Degree is most preferred and or a Masters degree in Agricultural Economics, Economics, Development Studies, International Development, Business (strategic analysis focus), or related field;
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in quantitative economic modelling based on in-depth data analysis and data integration;
- At least three (3) years’ senior-level management experience and quantitative research experience, with a strong emphasis on numerical modelling, spatial analysis and detailed report preparation;
- Significant experience in agricultural development-related activities in Africa;
- Experience in developing and employing modelling techniques using software programs such as Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) and Social Accounting Matrix (SAM) and other simulation models and tools;
- Excel, GAMS, SPSS and SAS for data analysis;
- Ability to communicate French is desirable.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer