Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
SeedSAT is an assessment tool that provides an in-depth country seed system analysis leading to systems modernization and reform, which are required to increase the delivery and use of seed of improved varieties. The assessment uses experts in key component areaswho work collaboratively with private sector, governments and other stakeholders to jointly provide specific opportunities to improve their systems through a series of prioritized options for modernization and reform. This investment proposes to build new capacity at AGRA as an African-led organization, to lead both public and private stakeholders collaboratively through an assessment of functional components required for expanding to a healthy and vibrant seed system.
To support the successful delivery, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Program Manager & Seed Analyst.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya with travel, approximately 20%.
Reporting to the Head, Seed Research and Systems Development, the Program Manager & Seed Analyst will be responsible for developing systems requirements, developing design solutions, reviewing solutions and revising design approaches for adequacy, testing and benchmarking solutions against standards, and setting up an efficient process for project management with the key responsibilities of resolving issues in a timely manner so that the project continues to perform at expected levels. In particular, the Program Manager & System Analyst will be responsible for the routine management and maintenance of the SeedSAT tool; The Program Manager & Systems Analyst will further coordinate and provide oversight over SeedSAT work in all AGRA countries; will supervise and guide staff including consultants working for SeedSAT project; will ensure that use of and rights for data sharing of the SEEDSAT tool is consistently in compliance with applicable policies, agreements, laws and regulations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide day to day technical support and training on the SEEDSAT IT system.
- Review adequacy of the SEEDSAT IT system to meet project needs as well as coordinate re-development and enhancements of the SEEDSAT system.
- Perform data protection and business continuity tasks relating to the system.
- Support the technical teams in capacity building.
- Track timeliness and delivery of outputs and activities under Seed System component.
- Coordination with Country Teams, stakeholders and other relevant partners?
- Budget tracking, following up on timely reporting, Monitoring and reporting of project Tasks and responsibilities
- Facilitate preparation of project implementation strategies, annual work-plan and budget.
- Support and ensure compliance of BMGF technical format, data management and financial reporting.
- Support the Head of Seed Research and the Head of Policy in technical implementation, team building and management, and provide continuous, effective counterpart support to teams within Program Innovation & Delivery and Policy units.
- Support incompliance to project delivery, organizing meetings, tracking and documentation.
- Ensure quality and accurateness in service provision, work with procurement in contracting process, and other procurements, track and flag for action audit queries
- Develop and maintain financial record system, project database, and operational modalities.
- Prepare and implement bi-annual procurement plan for approval.
- Maintain relationship and communication channels with development partners and stakeholders in SEEDSAT.
- Oversight of knowledge management and dissemination of project outputs and technical products.
- Coordinate and develop regular operational and financial reports, against targets and deliverables in the results framework, according to format and template agreed by AGRA.
- Identify relationships with important stakeholders and governments within and outside AGRA that are needed to provide input into SEEDSAT management.
- Communicates with collaborators to provide input into the data acquisition, analysis and interpretation.
- Manage sub-contracts overall project implementation.
- Support governments and seed stakeholders in AGRA countries to implement and make good use of the SEEDSAT tool
- Assist in developing and reviewing proposals and drafting grant memos for review by Head of Seed Systems with AGRA country teams to assist in the management of contracts or sub-grants.
- Provide technical backstopping of sub-grants in liaison with AGRA Program Innovation & Delivery teams.
- Maintain an up-to-date record of technical and financial project reports.
- Monitor projects implementation progress and do the necessary follow with the sub-grantees.
- Draft technical and financial reports for the donor for approval by Unit Head.
- Assist the Grants Unit in making all necessary changes in grant memos and/or contracts/ proposals for review by the Grants Committee.
- Upon request by the Unit Head, write and disseminate reports of meetings to enhance information flow and sharing among project staff.
- Assist with research, knowledge management and evaluation activities of the project.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience
- Advanced University (Master) degree in Information Systems, Agriculture, Seed Science, Forestry, rural development, natural resource management, business administration, finance or related subject.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in IT systems development/implementation and project management, preferably in agriculture and related interventions.
- Proven experience of experience in project management, preferably in seed systems or related sector.
- Proven experience in engagement and partnership with governments.
- demonstratable experience in IT systems development and management and projects coordination.
- Proven leadership skills, communication and coordination skills.
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary team in multicultural environment.
- Proficiency in both spoken and written English.
- Strong inter-personal skills and excellent oral communication skills.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to email@example.com noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 9th March 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer