Type: Temporary Role
Duration: 6 Months
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. Under its current strategy, AGRA continues to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
AGRA and the UK governments Foreign and Commonwealth Development Office (FCDO) initiated an Africa Food Trade and Resilience (AFTR) program in order to propel agri-transformation through improved trade. The AFTR is a five-year program (2018 – 2023) and aims to stimulate an increase in regional food trade in sub–Saharan Africa (SSA), contributing to satisfying a growing food demand and to addressing food shortages through regional food production, processing and trade, and generating more rural jobss, climate resilience and income for farmers, and generate robust evidence on how private sector solutions can scale, with the ultimate aim of de-risking markets and mobilizing finance.
The program, which is in its third year now, has two components: (i) work with companies that source, process, and trade food in the region, to maximize investment, coordination and benefits to smallholder farmers and (ii) contribute to improve the transparency and predictability of government policies to unlock regional food trade. A lot of progress has been made so far including direct investments in structuring supply chains for food, investments around data and evidence systems as well as policy reforms aimed at improving the enabling environment for functional regional supply chains.
The program now seeks the services of an experienced Program Coordinator to support program implementation on a temporary basis.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
At AGRA we believe Agriculture is the single greatest opportunity to deliver inclusive economic growth, jobs, and health to the African continent. An alliance led by Africans with roots in farming communities across the continent combined with an inclusive and diverse workforce from 24 nationalities. Our values of (I-RISE; Integrity, Respect, Innovation, Stewardship and Equity.) espouse our commitment to a call to action to go beyond ourselves as we arise and transform Africa’s Agriculture.
When you join us, we present you with intellectually stimulating assignments and structured career advancement with 30% of open roles being filled internally through promotions and transfers, and a Leadership commitment for this ratio to increase. This is after setting you up for success with a World Class Onboarding for new hires where a bespoke induction trains on all aspects of the role that you will need to succeed. You will gain a full understanding of our lofty ambitions to transform African agriculture, and how you can contribute to an amazing employee experience.
We are looking for people who are passionate about Africa, curious and collaborative to join our innovative, growing, and multidisciplinary team.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Reporting to the Regional Head of Food Trade, the temporary Program Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the regional food trade and resilience program through provision of administrative and coordination support to the Head of unit and the team ensuring up-to-date grants and consultancies status, financial and risk management reports, and regular program meetings and reporting. The incumbent will assist the Regional food trade unit in internal and external communications to ensure the running of a cohesive, coherent program, and provide regular updates on the team’s status through reports or meetings.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide administrative support to the RFTR unit in ensuring smooth implementation of program and projects including travel and meetings.
- Support and work with the finance team to prepare regular monthly and quarterly financial reports and forecasts for the programs.
- Support and work with RFTR team in formulation, award, implementation and monitoring of grants or related consultancies and maintain a tracker of all contracts/grants providing regular updates on their status and expenditure.
- Maintain and update a risk register, delivery chain risk map and mitigation measures in consultation with the RFTR unit and compliance and legal department
- Organize and keep record of program meetings including bi-weekly, monthly and quarterly sessions among team members and with the donor
- Assist team members in putting together program reports such as bi-annual reports, monthly presidents reports and others
- Play a key role in program visibility; including organizing local and regional events and making all arrangements including logistics, invitations, follow up, obtaining presentation, liaising with service providers and post-event follow ups.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in project/business management /organization and planning / program coordination and financial acumen is essential.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in relevant sector.
- Good working knowledge of not-for-profit organization.
- Experience managing complex initiatives with proven ability to coordinate teams, activities and deliver on timely fashion.
- Experience in working with development organizations or institutions will be an added advantage.
- Analytical, excellent data mining ability.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and report writing.
- Results and detail orientated with a very hands-on approach.
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and problem solving/decision making skills.
- Intelligent, motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and work ethic.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business or social sciences.
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field will be an advantage.
- Computer proficiency and familiarity with a range of software applications including word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
- Fluency in English required.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 8th November, 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer