Location: Nairobi, Kenya.
The goal of AGRA’s current strategy is to catalyze and sustain inclusive agriculture transformation in Africa by contributing to reducing poverty and increasing food security for 30 million smallholder households in Africa and supporting countries on pathways to attain and sustain an agriculture transformation. The strategy is delivered through three mutually reinforcing intervention areas; development of private sector-led last mile delivery systems, working with governments to strengthen their capacities to come through on sustainable agricultural development and fostering partnership that enhance alignment, harmonization and leverage of public and private investment in agriculture. AGRA is driving the agricultural transformation agenda within the context of increased impact of climate change and stressed ecosystems. Since 2015 there has been marked increase in the number of food insecure people on the continent largely due to climate variability and worsening weather environments. Overall, climate change has disproportionately affected women and youth who face declining livelihood options. Therefore, AGRA’s strategy seeks to sustainably increase agricultural productivity and profitability, promoting strategies that empower farmers to respond to environmental variability, adapt to and mitigate against the impacts of climate change; and foster prudent and sustainable management of natural resources.
Reporting to the Resilience Officer, the Intern will provide program and administrative support to the resilience function in AGRA. These will include the provision of administrative support in the implementation of projects, undertaking desk research on key thematic areas on climate change and ecosystems in agriculture development in Africa, regenerative agriculture, the circular economy and other elements of socio-economics as they relate to agriculture transformation in Africa.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the resilience officer and members of the Program Design and Innovation (PDI) team in the generation of evidence and issues papers to enhance programming for resilience in agriculture transformation;
- Work with the partnership and resource mobilization teams to identify and map partners for joint programming and resource mobilization in resilience;
- Provide support services in procurement and administrative functions;
- Capacity assessment for country staff on the integration of resilience in their programs;
- Assist the Country Manager to create road maps documenting the resources and constraints to agricultural transformation;
- Assist in the identification of opportunities for grant making;
- Assist in follow-up with country teams on resilience based initiatives
Key Qualifications and Experience required
- A Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Development or related disciplines such as Economics with interest in Agriculture development in Africa, Sustainable development and or Livelihoods development; Or must be a registered Master’s student in the any or related fields indicated above in an African University (proof registration and recommendation will be required);
- No work experience required but a demonstration of experience in extra-curricular or non-academic activities of value will be an added advantage;
- Demonstrate exemplary academic and leadership achievements;
- Demonstrate active and current knowledge of initiatives in the private and/or public sector on social and economic development (in agricultural development will be an added advantage) at national, regional and/or international level;
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to email@example.com noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 30th September, 2019
For more information on AGRA, please can visit: www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer