Location: Nairobi, Kenya.
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent. While both men and women are engaged in agriculture in Africa, their roles are often differentiated by gender and women face significant difficulties in accessing quality inputs, finance, extension services, information about available opportunities and markets. AGRA recognizes that closing the gender gaps in access to and control over resources, and promoting the empowerment of women and youth are all essential to catalyzing and sustaining an agriculture transformation in Africa.
Therefore, AGRA’s vision for a sustainable, inclusive agriculture transformation in Africa, requires the inclusion and empowerment of women, men and youth, at all levels of the agriculture system. AGRA has rolled out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. AGRA will deliver this strategy through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Head of Gender.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Reporting to the VP, Country Support & Delivery, the Head of Gender, will be in charge of ensuring the gender strategy is in place and implemented by staff, grantees and all other partners at both regional and country levels. S/he will be the key resource in providing quality advisory services to AGRA management and to the country teams in regard to incorporating gender within all programs and activities at AGRA. S/He will be responsible for providing technical support and coordinating internal capacity building, as well as promoting the capacity of partners and grantees through integration of a gender approach in policies and programs, across AGRA. S/He will help position AGRA as a knowledge leader and technical leader in Gender with various stakeholders.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the implementation of AGRA’s gender strategy and approach;
- Lead in adopting the gender strategy at country and continental level with accountability, reporting and communication mechanisms;
- Support the implementation of AGRA’s country plans by incorporating women in agriculture strategy and gender governance, advocacy and thinking;
- Be the gender focal person on gender matters at AGRA in relation to policies, priorities, program development and development partner resource mobilization;
- Identify and supervise the work of expert consultants providing substantive inputs to the program;
- Lead interdisciplinary work and initiatives with the agricultural sector, government, public sector, AGRA country teams, multilateral organizations and NGOs;
- Work collaboratively to advocate and advance gender equality and women’s empowerment at national, regional and global levels;
- Advisor to AGRA staff and leadership on incorporating gender within all programs and activities;
- Provide leadership and high quality advisory services to AGRA management and to the country teams on Gender, ensuring that outputs are delivered in a timely manner according to budget;
- Develop guidance, policy positions, issue papers and factsheets on gender, for a range of audiences;
- Lead in conducting evidence-based analysis, and policy dialogue with relevant stakeholders;
- Ensure capacity building of AGRA staff and teams to set and deliver against gender specific targets;
- Provide technical support and capacity building for AGRA grantees;
- Consult with grantees to develop new grant ideas around gender in achieving sustainable productivity growth;
- Conduct country level project visits and provide technical guidance on gender during monitoring and evaluation;
- Contribute substantially to Knowledge management, communications and thought leadership around women in agriculture;
- Driving the advancement of knowledge management and thought leadership in gender development activities;
- Write project reports, gender technical briefs, abstracts and document success stories;
- Develop and implement effective communication strategies for policy products to maximize their value, visibility and impact within AGRA, food security and sustainable development community;
- Represent AGRA at designated international meetings and conferences, prepare briefing materials, speaking points, provide training and presentations;
- Lead fund-raising activities for AGRA’s programs that address gender advancement ensure; the agreed work program activities are supported by a sustainable funding base;
- Foster relationships and develop strategic partnerships with partner organizations, countries, multilateral organizations and NGOs, working on gender and development.
Key Qualifications and Experience required
- Position requires 10 years’ relevant work experience working in similar organization or institutions including time working in developing countries e.g. a bilateral aid agency, a multilateral organization or with a partner government on gender issues in a developing country context (analytical, policy and operational);
- At least five (5) years’ Senior-Level experience designing and implementing programs and/or gender development policies and activities in developing countries;
- Excellent track record in leading evidence-based analysis in the field of development and gender-related issues;
- A Master’s degree in agriculture, political science, public policy, international relations, agri-business or other relevant discipline with a specialization in gender and development. Relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of this;
- An understanding of various African gender laws and devolution related legislations; Understanding of international conventions on gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Deep understanding of both the government and private sector policies and governance structures;
- Experience and proven capacity to communicate effectively with different counterparts (government authorities, heads of agencies, civil society, and the private sector) to align actors and build networks;
- Experience in managing complex initiatives with proven ability to develop high impact partnerships;
- Proven leadership ability to influence, develop and empower employees to achieve their best with a team approach;
- Excellent organizational, and problem solving/decision making skills;
- Intelligent, motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and work ethics;
- Results and detail orientated with a hands on approach;
- A working knowledge of French or Portuguese will be an advantage.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to email@example.com noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 30th September, 2019
For more information on AGRA, please can visit: www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer