Job Reference: LC/PR/07/2023
AGRA and its Work
AGRA is an African-led institution that actively supports the drive towards inclusive agricultural transformation and sustainable food systems. We do this by empowering the continent’s 33 million smallholder farming households to transform their agriculture from a struggle to survive to profitable businesses. The continent’s farmers regularly face challenges, and we aspire to provide uniquely African solutions that respond to their agricultural and environmental challenges, leading to increased harvests for reduced hunger and more income.
Working in alignment with the development priorities of our focus countries, we enable farmers to access improved and high-yielding seeds, gain knowledge on sustainable farming, and linkages to profitable markets.
In our work, we aspire to build the alliances, partnerships, and networks required to drive an inclusive agricultural transformation. We work with our partners to create an equitable youth-friendly environment that harnesses the youth dividend on the continent to drive growth and facilitate open employment opportunities for young women and men. We achieve our key objectives through a focus on the following four areas of intervention:
- Policy and state capability – We support governments in creating an enabling environment for private sector involvement in agricultural transformation.
- Seed systems – We trigger higher productivity by increasing the availability and access to improved seeds by farmers allowing them to increase their harvests for food security and better incomes.
- Sustainable farming – We support farmers in building resilient farming systems for sustained high yields through interventions such as mechanization and irrigation.
- Inclusive markets and trade – We work to increase the linkages between farmers, and other market actors for a positive, sustained cycle of commercialization and reinvestment.
AGRA’s 2030 Strategy
The continent has, in recent years, taken steps towards inclusive agricultural transformation resulting in notable improvements in food security, with clear progress across all AGRA’s focus countries. However, with over 20% of Africans still suffering from hunger, we need to accelerate our progress and mitigate against the growing external pressures of conflict and climate on our food systems.
AGRA 2022-2030 Strategic Framework (SF2030) demonstrates our long-term vision for how we intend to contribute to, and align with, global and continental priorities, applying a food systems lens towards the goals of zero hunger, improved nutrition, an end to poverty, and climate adaptation. We have split our Strategic Framework 2030 into two 5-year strategies so that we have a clear mid-way point to evaluate progress and re-route our strategic focus if necessary. Our 2023-2027 Strategic Plan sets out to catalyze the growth of sustainable food systems across Africa by influencing and leveraging partners to build a robust enabling environment where the private sector thrives, and smallholders are empowered to produce sufficient, healthy food.
To contribute to a food system-inspired inclusive agricultural transformation across Africa, to reduce hunger, improve nutrition, and adapt to climate.
To catalyze the growth of sustainable food systems across Africa by influencing and leveraging partners to build a robust enabling environment where private sector thrives, and smallholder farmers are empowered to produce sufficient, healthy food.
- Empowering and building the resilience of small holder farmers
- Supporting the development of inclusive markets and finance to strengthen agricultural systems.
- Strengthening state capability to sustain agricultural transformation.
Implementing Our New Strategy Through People
AGRA is at the threshold of a new chapter where we begin implementing our new strategy of catalyzing inclusive, resilient and sustainable agricultural transformation. At AGRA we believe Agriculture is the single greatest opportunity to deliver inclusive economic growth, jobs, and health to the African continent.
People are the heart of our organisation and remain the true drivers of our delivery and our impact.
We are excited about a new fit-for-purpose organizational structure that is largely driven by an ambition to enhance collaboration across teams and drive sustainable growth. We have therefore purposed more focus on delivery of country programs within the new strategy giving even greater attention to optimizing existing talent in addition to upscaling technical and operational resources.
We work with incredible people and partners who have roots in farming communities across the continent combined with an inclusive and diverse workforce from over 24 nationalities. Our values of (I-RISE; Integrity, Respect, Innovation, Stewardship and Equity) espouse our commitment to a call to action to go beyond ourselves as we arise and transform Africa’s Agriculture.
We are looking for people who are passionate about Africa, curious and collaborative to join our innovative, growing, and multidisciplinary team. Together, we can grow Africa’s food systems improving the livelihoods of smallholder farmers. Want to join us?
Legal Counsel Job Reference: LC/PR/07/2023
The Legal Counsel is responsible for identifying and managing legal risk, while proactively advising and educating the organization on relevant legal issues.
Reporting to the General Counsel & Corporation Secretary, the Legal Counsel is responsible for providing concise legal support, advice and opinion(s) relating to the conduct of AGRA’s business based on sound legal principles identifying and managing legal risk. Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating various legal agreements. Advising headquarters and countries on the legal and statutory compliance requirements and practices. Legal guidance and focus while proactively advising and educating the organization on relevant legal issues.
Key Measures of Performance
- Sound and timely AGRA legal advice and actions.
- Monitor and implement statutory compliance.
- Corporate legal advisory services across jurisdictions of AGRA’s operations.
- Application of best corporate risk governance and compliance practices
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose – Analyze
- Researching and evaluating different risk factors that may affect AGRA’s operations and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues.
- Giving accurate and timely counsel to AGRA’s management, units and stakeholders on a variety of legal topics.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating various types of contracts including grant agreements, contracts for goods and services, collaborative and partnership agreements ensuring that they are legally sound and they comply with AGRA’s policies and procedures and mitigate risks; across Africa.
- Providing necessary support in managing all litigation and disputes in which AGRA is a party and respond to government investigations and queries.
Engagement – Collaborative
- Implementing and monitoring legal and regulatory activities and ensuring that AGRA complies with all applicable laws at headquarters and in the countries.
- Building capacity of staff through training on laws and best practices applicable to tax-exempt organizations, intellectual property and tax law.
- Providing necessary support for the setup of operations in AGRA countries including negotiating Host Country Agreements and Memorandum of Understanding with Governments and hosting institutions.
- Advising the organization on the legal services and ensuring that all activities are in line with the applicable laws, including compliance matters which may pose financial or reputational risks..
Delivery – Manage the Project Cycle
- Assessing and managing the work assigned to external lawyers.
- In working with external counsels, conducting legal due diligence and reviewing of laws and regulations applicable to AGRA in designated AGRA countries.
- Coordinating with relevant persons in designate AGRA countries to ensure that AGRA meets its compliance requirements.
- Carrying out regular compliance checking on adequacy of AGRA policies in countries.
Model the IRISE Values & Be a Culture Carrier
- Integrity: Uphold moral convictions and always doing the right thing.
- Respect: Value differences and embrace diversity and inclusion.
- Innovation: Strive for excellence and embracing continuous improvement, bold creativity, and change.
- Stewardship: Be responsible for actions undertaken and resources entrusted.
- Equity: Be governed by fairness in all undertakings.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- A Bachelor of Laws degree and minimum 10 years post admission/ graduate diploma in law/legal practice certificate.
- A master’s degree in law or related field will be an added advantage.
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with current practicing certificate.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, including the ability to set out a coherent analysis in presentations and in reports.
- Ability to draft contracts and internal policies/protocols.
- Ability to work in fast paced multi-cultural and fluid environment.
- Ability to work independently while maintaining strong collaborative relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to work accurately under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Strong diplomatic and communication skills, ability to develop a close and effective working relationship with clients at all levels.
- Able and competent presenter as well as a positive influencer of others.
- Client orientation – able to balance responsiveness and pro-activity in meeting internal client needs and concerns and to ensure provision of value-added services as appropriate.
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ relevant post-admission legal experience.
- A minimum of four (4) years’ experience working in a non-profit or an in-house legal role will be considered a distinct advantage.
- A working knowledge of French will be an advantage.
- Achieving Results Effectively: Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations; Sets self and others stretching goals, over and above those required to meet organizational standards and targets; Takes the necessary actions to meet these goals; identifies and applies measures to track and quantify achievement; Aligns projects with organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing & Sharing Knowledge: Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise; Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge; Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Accountability: Maintains ethical behavior, admits mistakes and exhibits responsible behavior in the meeting of performance expectations; Actively seeks out solutions to achieve results; Holds self-accountable for achieving results as an individual as well as team members; Identifies and assists in addressing areas of weakness that may impact the department’s performance.
- Diversity & Inclusion: Takes a conscious effort to learn about different styles of conflict resolution; Has insight into and monitors own preferred conflict management style and its impact on others; Is proactive in managing conflict over differences when it arises rather than avoiding it; Actively creates the space for people to use different forms of conflict resolution; Listens actively for the frames of reference and does not prejudge; Seeks to understand and adapt to different styles when working with those who are different; Treats others as they wish to be treated; Shows readiness to change the way he/she does things to meet the needs of those from diverse backgrounds.
- Adaptability: Adapts personal approach to meet the needs of different or new situations; Seeks guidance in adapting behavior to the needs of a new or different situation.
- Stakeholder Focus/Partnerships: Contacts stakeholders to follow up on services, solutions or products to ensure that their needs have been correctly and effectively met; Understands issues from the stakeholder’s perspective; Keeps stakeholders up-to-date with information and decisions that affect them; Monitors services provided to stakeholders and makes timely adjustments as required; Maintains ongoing communication with stakeholders; Regularly and systematically contacts stakeholders or prospective stakeholders to determine their needs; Uses understanding of stakeholder’s perspective to identify constraints and advocate on their behalf; Works with stakeholders to adapt services, products or solutions to meet their needs; Encourages co-workers and teams to achieve a high standard of service excellence; Anticipates areas where support or influence will be required and discusses situation/concerns with appropriate individuals; Proposes new, creative and sound alternatives to improve stakeholder service delivery; Engages effectively with all stakeholders.
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels; Is fully aware of the team purposes, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities; Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a ‘hands-on’ approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives; Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.tly.
Terms of Appointment
3 Years Fixed Term (Consideration for renewal will be made subject to AGRA’s needs, available funding and performance).
Based in Nairobi, Kenya
How to Apply
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before Tuesday 15th August 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer