Job Reference: HRO/PR/08/2023
AGRA and its Work
AGRA is an African-led institution that actively supports the drive towards inclusive agricultural transformation and sustainable food systems. We do this by empowering the continent’s 33 million smallholder farming households to transform their agriculture from a struggle to survive to profitable businesses. The continent’s farmers regularly face challenges, and we aspire to provide uniquely African solutions that respond to their agricultural and environmental challenges, leading to increased harvests for reduced hunger and more income.
Working in alignment with the development priorities of our focus countries, we enable farmers to access improved and high-yielding seeds, gain knowledge on sustainable farming, and linkages to profitable markets.
In our work, we aspire to build the alliances, partnerships, and networks required to drive an inclusive agricultural transformation. We work with our partners to create an equitable youth-friendly environment that harnesses the youth dividend on the continent to drive growth and facilitate open employment opportunities for young women and men. We achieve our key objectives through a focus on the following four areas of intervention:
- Policy and state capability – We support governments in creating an enabling environment for private sector involvement in agricultural transformation.
- Seed systems – We trigger higher productivity by increasing the availability and access to improved seeds by farmers allowing them to increase their harvests for food security and better incomes.
- Sustainable farming – We support farmers in building resilient farming systems for sustained high yields through interventions such as mechanization and irrigation.
- Inclusive markets and trade – We work to increase the linkages between farmers, and other market actors for a positive, sustained cycle of commercialization and reinvestment.
AGRA’s 2030 Strategy
The continent has, in recent years, taken steps towards inclusive agricultural transformation resulting in notable improvements in food security, with clear progress across all AGRA’s focus countries. However, with over 20% of Africans still suffering from hunger, we need to accelerate our progress and mitigate against the growing external pressures of conflict and climate on our food systems.
AGRA 2022-2030 Strategic Framework (SF2030) demonstrates our long-term vision for how we intend to contribute to, and align with, global and continental priorities, applying a food systems lens towards the goals of zero hunger, improved nutrition, an end to poverty, and climate adaptation. We have split our Strategic Framework 2030 into two 5-year strategies so that we have a clear mid-way point to evaluate progress and re-route our strategic focus if necessary. Our 2023-2027 Strategic Plan sets out to catalyze the growth of sustainable food systems across Africa by influencing and leveraging partners to build a robust enabling environment where the private sector thrives, and smallholders are empowered to produce sufficient, healthy food.
To contribute to a food system-inspired inclusive agricultural transformation across Africa, to reduce hunger, improve nutrition, and adapt to climate.
To catalyze the growth of sustainable food systems across Africa by influencing and leveraging partners to build a robust enabling environment where private sector thrives, and smallholder farmers are empowered to produce sufficient, healthy food.
- Empowering and building the resilience of small holder farmers
- Supporting the development of inclusive markets and finance to strengthen agricultural systems.
- Strengthening state capability to sustain agricultural transformation.
Implementing Our New Strategy Through People
AGRA is at the threshold of a new chapter where we begin implementing our new strategy of catalyzing inclusive, resilient and sustainable agricultural transformation. At AGRA we believe Agriculture is the single greatest opportunity to deliver inclusive economic growth, jobs, and health to the African continent.
People are the heart of our organisation and remain the true drivers of our delivery and our impact.
We are excited about a new fit-for-purpose organizational structure that is largely driven by an ambition to enhance collaboration across teams and drive sustainable growth. We have therefore purposed more focus on delivery of country programs within the new strategy giving even greater attention to optimizing existing talent in addition to upscaling technical and operational resources.
We work with incredible people and partners who have roots in farming communities across the continent combined with an inclusive and diverse workforce from over 24 nationalities. Our values of (I-RISE; Integrity, Respect, Innovation, Stewardship and Equity) espouse our commitment to a call to action to go beyond ourselves as we arise and transform Africa’s Agriculture.
We are looking for people who are passionate about Africa, curious and collaborative to join our innovative, growing, and multidisciplinary team. Together, we can grow Africa’s food systems improving the livelihoods of smallholder farmers. Want to join us?
Human Resources Officer, Analytics & Support Job Reference: HRO/PR/08/2023
The Human Resource Officer – Analytics & Support will provide administrative, operational and data analytical services to the Human Resources (HR) Unit and coordinate all HR processes as per HRA Policy.
The Human Resource Officer – Analytics & Support will support the Director – HR and Admin and other members of the HRA Unit in carrying out administrative tasks and supporting operational initiatives such as applying trend analysis and continuous improvement methodologies to monitor overall efficiency of HR Operations workflow, policies to ensure timely resolution and root cause analysis of all issues.
Key Measures of Performance
- Managing employee information and data using the AGRA Human Capital Management System by capturing employee information on a human resources database and updating and maintaining accurate employee related data and records.
- Monitor, collect and compile HR metrics and data from a variety of sources including the human resource information system (HRIS) and payroll outputs, management, and employee surveys, exit interviews, employment records, government labor statistics, best practices, and other sources to aid management in decision making to deliver on the Unit and Organizational objectives.
- Effectiveness of People process flows and workflows and availability of HR tools and resources to ensure timely delivery of HR services.
- Monthly tracking and reporting of key staff issues and concerns coming into the Unit.
- Quality of support to the Director – HR & Admin, Senior HR Officers, Business Partners and the larger Human Resources and Administration Unit.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose – Manage Integrated Processes
- Ensure implementation of efficient process flows across the employee life cycle targeted at improving employee experience, that includes:
– Joining & Onboarding: new joiner formalities and updates new employees in Human Capital Management System (HCMS) as well as prepares employment contracts.
– Status changes such as transfers, promotions, staff movement, payroll changes, terminations: updates staff movements, maintains employees’ assignments in the HCMS and generates relevant letters.
– Exits & Offboarding: updates the HCMS with the employee termination information and the monthly attrition analysis.
- Reviews the HCMS and constantly updates employee information and maintain files and records to ensure accuracy and data integrity.
- Manages local HR Shared Services, Process & System implementation, and payroll data processing by identifying processes to be automated in the HCMS by mapping and validating with users to be sure they are properly implemented.
- Maintain organization charts to match organization requirements.
Engagement – Align
- Obtain user requirements to design various processes and ensure alignment with organizational standard operating procedures.
- Coordinate new hire activities by working with various teams and hiring managers to ensure successful employee integration.
- Participate in the formulation, development and implementation of HR policies, processes, and procedures by identifying areas of concern and making pertinent recommendations.
- Supports the HR Business Partners on timely resolution of employee issues and concerns.
- Advises managers on the selection and contracting of external learning programs and consultants.
- Collaborates with business leaders to develop and execute an incorporated approach to development, learning and talent management.
Delivery – Sustain Service
- Generate reports and determine metrics as required by users to support organisation initiatives.
- Propose improvements to the system by identifying gaps in current automation to ensure effective and efficient operation of the organization.
- Accurately captures, compiles, and updates the learner information in the Human Capital Management System.
- Ensuring effective management of all HR administrative activities and processes, and by providing administrative/non-strategic support for all HR functions such as:
– Organizing interviews and coordinating all the recruitment logistics.
– Running feedback surveys and compiling and filing various staff program evaluation forms.
- Organizes relevant education and materials to managers and employees including workshops, manuals, employee handbooks, and standardized reports.
Model the IRISE Values & Be a Culture Carrier
- Integrity: Uphold moral convictions and always doing the right thing.
- Respect: Value differences and embrace diversity and inclusion.
- Innovation: Strive for excellence and embracing continuous improvement, bold creativity, and change.
- Stewardship: Be responsible for actions undertaken and resources entrusted.
- Equity: Be governed by fairness in all undertakings.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree in HR/Education/Business/IT/Data Engineering or related field.
- Relevant qualification in Data modelling, data analysis, data visualization.
- High degree of computer literacy (E-mail, Internet, etc.) and knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint.
- Knowledge and experience of using an HRMIS Knowledge of AMIS operating system, desirable.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to translate analysis into clear concise written text.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a motivation to improve policies and procedures systematically.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, HR Information Systems (HRIS) platforms and other technological tools.
- Organization policies, procedures, ongoing programs, and other engagement activities.
- Record keeping requirements and regulations related to handling sensitive personal data.
- Organization processes the system performs and existing processes in the organization.
- Understanding of Employe Life Cycle and onboarding process and logistical arrangements.
- Organizational values, history, and corporate culture.
- Organizational structure and organizational development strategy.
- Qualitative/quantitative survey and reporting methods.
- Experience of Human Resources and Administration in a multinational business environment in an HR Generalist role will be an added advantage.
- Member of the Institute of Human Resources Management (Kenya)
- Achieving Results Effectively: Takes actions that lead to the delivery of set service targets and shows determination to meet the objectives set by others; Keeps track of and measures outcomes against own standards, over and above those set by others; Takes actions that lead to quantifiable service improvements; Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Managing and Sharing Knowledge: Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and maintains personal contact in other parts of the organization with those who provide work- related information; Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others; Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration; Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Accountability: Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work; Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honors commitments to others and to the organization; Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Takes a conscious effort to learn about different styles of conflict resolution; Is proactive in managing conflict over differences when it arises rather than avoiding it; Listens actively for the frames of reference and does not prejudge; Seeks to understand and adapt to different styles when working with those who are different; Treats others as they wish to be treated; Shows readiness to change the way he/she does things to meet the needs of those from diverse backgrounds.
- Technical Competencies for the position: Demonstrate knowledge of all own work role specific issues. This encompasses the technical skills or knowledge required to perform the essential duties as described in this Job Description.
- Adaptability: Accepts that things will change; Seeks clarification when faced with ambiguity or uncertainty; Demonstrates willingness to try new approaches.
Devises plans of action with explicit paths and measures of accomplishment for self and/or others and allocates suitable resources so that objectives are achieved. Strong administration skills.
- Stakeholder Focus/Partnerships: Identifies stakeholder needs and expectations; Responds to requests efficiently and effectively; Takes action beyond explicit request within established service standards; Refers complex questions to a higher decision-making level; Meets stakeholder needs in a respectful, helpful and responsive manner; Seeks feedback to develop a clear understanding of stakeholder needs and outcomes; Uses stakeholder satisfaction monitoring methodologies to ensure stakeholder satisfaction; Adjusts service based on stakeholder feedback.
- Teamwork: Understands the goals of the team and each team member’s role within it; willingly gives support to co-workers and works collaboratively rather than competitively; Shares experiences, knowledge, and best practices with team members.
Terms of Appointment
3 Years Fixed Term (Consideration for renewal will be made subject to AGRA’s needs, available funding and performance).
Based in Nairobi, Kenya
How to Apply
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before Monday 28th August 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer