AGRA and its Work
AGRA is an African-led institution that actively supports the drive towards inclusive agricultural transformation and sustainable food systems. We do this by empowering the continent’s 33 million smallholder farming households to transform their agriculture from a struggle to survive to profitable businesses. The continent’s farmers regularly face challenges, and we aspire to provide uniquely African solutions that respond to their agricultural and environmental challenges, leading to increased harvests for reduced hunger and more income.
Working in alignment with the development priorities of our focus countries, we enable farmers to access improved and high-yielding seeds, gain knowledge on sustainable farming, and linkages to profitable markets.
In our work, we aspire to build the alliances, partnerships, and networks required to drive an inclusive agricultural transformation. We work with our partners to create an equitable youth-friendly environment that harnesses the youth dividend on the continent to drive growth and facilitate open employment opportunities for young women and men. We achieve our key objectives through a focus on the following four areas of intervention:
Policy and state capability – We support governments in creating an enabling environment for private sector involvement in agricultural transformation.
Seed systems – We trigger higher productivity by increasing the availability and access to improved seeds by farmers allowing them to increase their harvests for food security and better incomes.
Sustainable farming – We support farmers in building resilient farming systems for sustained high yields through interventions such as mechanization and irrigation.
Inclusive markets and trade – We work to increase the linkages between farmers, and other market actors for a positive, sustained cycle of commercialization and reinvestment.
AGRA’s 2030 Strategy
The continent has, in recent years, taken steps towards inclusive agricultural transformation resulting in notable improvements in food security, with clear progress across all AGRA’s focus countries. However, with over 20% of Africans still suffering from hunger, we need to accelerate our progress and mitigate against the growing external pressures of conflict and climate on our food systems.
AGRA 2022-2030 Strategic Framework (SF2030) demonstrates our long-term vision for how we intend to contribute to, and align with, global and continental priorities, applying a food systems lens towards the goals of zero hunger, improved nutrition, an end to poverty, and climate adaptation. We have split our Strategic Framework 2030 into two 5-year strategies so that we have a clear mid-way point to evaluate progress and re-route our strategic focus if necessary. Our 2023-2027 Strategic Plan sets out to catalyze the growth of sustainable food systems across Africa by influencing and leveraging partners to build a robust enabling environment where the private sector thrives, and smallholders are empowered to produce sufficient, healthy food.
To contribute to a food system-inspired inclusive agricultural transformation across Africa, to reduce hunger, improve nutrition, and adapt to climate.
To catalyze the growth of sustainable food systems across Africa by influencing and leveraging partners to build a robust enabling environment where private sector thrives, and smallholder farmers are empowered to produce sufficient, healthy food.
- Empowering and building the resilience of small holder farmers
- Supporting the development of inclusive markets and finance to strengthen agricultural systems.
- Strengthening state capability to sustain agricultural transformation.
Implementing Our New Strategy Through People
AGRA is at the threshold of a new chapter where we begin implementing our new strategy of catalyzing inclusive, resilient and sustainable agricultural transformation. At AGRA we believe Agriculture is the single greatest opportunity to deliver inclusive economic growth, jobs, and health to the African continent.
People are the heart of our organisation and remain the true drivers of our delivery and our impact.
We are excited about a new fit-for-purpose organizational structure that is largely driven by an ambition to enhance collaboration across teams and drive sustainable growth. We have therefore purposed more focus on delivery of country programs within the new strategy giving even greater attention to optimising existing talent in addition to upscaling technical and operational resources.
We work with incredible people and partners who have roots in farming communities across the continent combined with an inclusive and diverse workforce from over 24 nationalities. Our values of (I-RISE; Integrity, Respect, Innovation, Stewardship and Equity) espouse our commitment to a call to action to go beyond ourselves as we arise and transform Africa’s Agriculture.
We are looking for people who are passionate about Africa, curious and collaborative to join our innovative, growing, and multidisciplinary team. Together, we can grow Africa’s food systems improving the livelihoods of smallholder farmers. Want to join us?
Evaluation and Analytics Officer
The Evaluation and Analytics Officer is primarily responsible for technical support and coordination of evaluations and reviews, systems measurements to promote learning and utilization of evidence and insights for effective programming and deepening of impact in line with the AGRA’s Evaluation Policy.
S/He provides technical coordination in the implementation of evaluations and reviews, system analyses in generating evidence and insight for effective delivery of AGRA portfolio and activities. The critical task of the Evaluations and Analytics Officer is to ensure that evaluations are undertaken with desired technical rigor as well as with credibility and independence, to support timely decision making and course correction. The Evaluation and Analytics Officer is under the general supervision and will be answerable to the Head, Monitoring & Evaluation (ME) with majority of tasks to be undertaken in collaboration with the monitoring & Evaluation and knowledge management team, program teams and AGRA grantees.
Key Measures of Performance
The performance of this role holder will be assessed on the basis of the achievements made on:
- Timely and quality delivery of AGRA evaluations and socio-economic studies pipelines.
- Quality evaluations, research, and review of Terms of reference (ToRs), methodology and reports.
- Quality and timely synthesis and delivery of management responses to evaluations and reviews
- Uptake of evaluation and review evidence and learning across AGRA for decision-making.
- Quality of publications, collaborations, and networks with internal and external stakeholders.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose – Innovate
- Coordinates the implementation of AGRA evaluations policy, in liaison with the Head of M&E and Learning.
- Develop and manage a costed evaluation and socio-economic studies pipeline, in consultations with AGRA staff and partners.
- Lead the design, planning and implementation of reviews, thematic evaluations, research, and impact studies, ensuring technical rigor, to assess the impact of AGRA’s initiatives.
- Lead the development of terms of references (ToRs), firm selection, resources management and large cross-country teams’ coordination in systems analysis, socio-economic research and experimental or quasi-experimental impact evaluation designs and implementation.
- Support the implementation of baseline, midline and endline surveys to rigorously assess the impact of AGRA’s programs and initiatives and address specific learning questions outlined in the MEL Plan, in liaison with AGRA’s business lines and institutional donors.
- Develop and manage a sense-making strategy to share evaluative information in a timely manner to promote uptake of evidence and learning across AGRA for decision-making.
Engagement – Engage
- Coordinate the review of evaluations and study reports, assessing the rigor of data analysis and application of universally agreed standards.
- Lead in coordinating the formulation and follow-up of AGRA management responses to evaluations and reviews recommendations.
- Support context and forward-looking analyses and evidence synthesis with particular focus on understanding the drivers of inclusive agricultural food systems transformation and underlying systemic barriers including those related to AGRA countries and partners business lines.
- Builds and supports collaborations, networks and collaborations with development partners, resources centers, professional networks/associations and institutions in the areas of monitoring, and impact evaluation.
- Lead the M&E publications drafting and dissemination through peer reviewed journals, international conferences, and symposia for enhance AGRA profile and visibility.
- Participate in and promote impact evaluation and analytics culture across the institution.
- Mentor and coach relevant technical staff, interns, junior staff and post-docs around impact evaluations, systems analyses, and socio-economic research at large.
- Undertake any additional duties as assigned by the Head Monitoring and Evaluation.
Delivery – Define Project Cycle
- Sets procedures to ensure adherence to accepted evaluation standards and principles.
- Plans and actively participates in external reviews and missions by AGRA donors or professional associations.
- Assesses the need for specific M&E special studies and other pilot projects.
- Support development and implementation of the Evaluation Strategy and the entire organizational Learning agenda
Model the IRISE Values & Be a Culture Carrier
- Integrity: Uphold moral convictions and always doing the right thing.
- Respect: Value differences and embrace diversity and inclusion.
- Innovation: Strive for excellence and embracing continuous improvement, bold creativity, and change.
- Stewardship: Be responsible for actions undertaken and resources entrusted.
- Equity: Be governed by fairness in all undertakings.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Masters or PhD in agricultural/development economics or social sciences, International development or related field
- Advanced research & analytical skills and impact evaluation methods including qualitative and quantitative. This includes econometric and statistical analysis.
- Commitment to continuous improvement and innovation in evaluation practice.
- Experience in leading and managing evaluation teams and in supervising consultants.
- Possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to different audiences. Experience with journal publications is a must.
- Must have fluency in English. French language skills preferred M&E/Statistical expertise
- Audit and evaluation
- Report generation
- Data collection, analysis and reporting and quality assurance
- At least 8 years of relevant experience in evaluations within the agricultural development, food security and youth employment sector
- Familiarity with established evaluation protocols, assessments and analytical tools (e.g. systems change analysis).
- Familiarity with and participation in policy and practice debates, leveraging insights and evidence related to inclusive agricultural transformation.
- Achieving Results Effectively: Shows determination to achieve goals over time; resists any pressure to be deflected from this attainment; Prepares to challenge others and address poor performance where this is impacting on effective service delivery; Takes calculated risks, based on learning and experience, to achieve longer-term service improvements.
- Managing & Sharing Knowledge: Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately; Demonstrates individual responsibility for defining and delivering on the organization’s priorities; Takes others’ perspectives into account when communicating, negotiating or presenting arguments; Keeps teams informed of decisions and directives of senior management and communicates them in a manner that ensures understanding and acceptance.
- Accountability: Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the organization with appropriate stakeholders; Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated; Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership; Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Diversity & Inclusion: Takes every opportunity to ensure that project teams and work groups are diverse; Encourages and capitalizes on the diverse contributions and strengths of team members; Practices inclusive behaviors in groups and intervenes with sensitivity when exclusionary behaviors occur; Encourages innovation and creativity in the workplace; Embraces diversity as a resource to benefit the organization and its members; Supports systems, procedures and practices which promote diversity in the workplace; Leverages the benefits differences can add.
- Technical Competencies for the Position: Demonstrates knowledge of all own work role specific issues. This encompasses the technical skills or knowledge required to perform the essential duties as described in this Job Description. Specific technical competencies: quantitative analytical skills including use of appropriate software, results-based management systems, designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis, and production of reports.
- Adaptability: Publicly supports and adapts to major/fundamental changes that show promise of improving established ways of operating; Seeks opportunities for change in order to achieve improvement in work processes, systems, etc.; Maintains composure and shows self-control in the face of challenges and change; Adapts to new ideas and initiatives across a wide variety of issues or situations; Shifts priorities, changes style and responds with new approaches as needed to deal with new or changing demands.
- Stakeholder Focus/Partnerships: Tracks trends and developments that will affect own organization’s ability to meet current and future stakeholder needs; Identifies benefits for stakeholders; looks for ways to add value; Seeks out and involves clients or prospective stakeholders in assessing services, solutions or products to identify ways to improve; Establishes service standards and develops strategies to ensure staff meet them; Creates stakeholder-centric processes for others to use; that are relevant and efficient; Networking – Ability to establish mutually beneficial relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Teamwork: Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work; Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual’s strengths in order to build a better team; Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized; Helps created a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
Terms of Appointment
3 Years Fixed Term (Consideration for renewal will be made subject to AGRA’s needs, available funding and performance).
Based in Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel, approximately 35% per month/year.
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please complete the Application Form below on or before 7 September 2023. In addition, we encourage you to please attach a copy of the most recent English version of your CV.
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by AGRA to undertake this assignment.