AGRA and AUC sign MoU on Malabo declaration implementation
Addis Ababa, October 6, 2017 – The African Union Commission (AUC) and the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) today signed a Memorandum of Understanding to facilitate effective coordination to catalyse the implementation of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP)-Malabo Declaration commitments for accelerated agricultural transformation in Africa.
The MoU was signed by H.E Josefa Sacko, the AUC’s Commissioner for Rural Economy and Agriculture, and Dr. Agnes Kalibata, AGRA President. Also in attendance was, NEPAD Agency Director of Programme Implementation and Coordination, Mrs. Esterine Fotabong and DREA Director, Dr. Godfrey Bahiigwa.
The MoU is a tripartite one that spells out the roles of the AUC, NEPAD Agency and AGRA to;
- Strengthen country planning, policy and program efficiency, to increase financing and promote growth;
- Strengthen country and regional coordination and accountability mechanisms ;
- Strengthen national and regional agricultural policies and systems;
- Boost the adoption of good agricultural practices and innovations ;
- Increase private sector and development partners’ participation in agriculture and build support for sustained investments in agriculture.
During the signing ceremony, Commissioner Sacko expressed her gratitude to AGRA for the collaboration and good working relations the organisation has and continues to have with the AUC and NEPAD Agency.
Commissioner Sacko said the MoU would be used to expedite the implementation of the Malabo Declaration in AU Member States, emphasizing that, “We do not want MoUs that stay on the shelf, we want to implement and deliver on our priorities!”
Dr. Kalibata reiterated AGRA’s commitment to work with AU Member States in revolutionising agriculture through its partnership with the AUC.
“The AUC and NEPAD Agency give us an opportunity to come together and hold ourselves accountable for the kind of transformation we want to see for this continent,” Dr. Kalibata said.
For more information, contact
Ms. Carol Jilombo;
Department of Rural Economy and Agriculture; AUC;
For further information contact