Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
The AGRA State Capability Unit (SCU) works to strengthen the functioning of national and regional level agriculture sector system in 5 key areas: (1) improving country vision, strategy, prioritized plans and flagships; (2) improving enabling policy and regulatory environment; (3) strengthening implementation capacity and delivery; (4) strengthening sector coordination and execution of government programs, and (5) increasing mutual accountability. This work aims to strengthen state capabilities in Ministries of Agriculture and affiliated institutions to transform the agricultural sector across focus countries and is delivered mostly through AGRA staff time, consultancies, grants and meetings.
AGRA is seeking an intern to support the State Capability Unit to provide technical and administrative support for the unit to help drive its functions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Intern will work under the guidance of the State Capability Team with the following responsibilities:
- Undertaking literature review to collect and prepare (background) information and data in the areas of State Capability (SC) in AGRA.
- Reviewing and editing information in the appropriate format as required.
- Participating in the design and implementation of SC program activities, including preparation of concept notes and other documents as in close coordination with the SC team.
- Contributing to Monitoring and Evaluation of state capability activities in the AGRA countries working in close collaboration with the state capability team members, country teams and the Monitoring & Evaluation unit.
- Maintain, log, file and update records in the prescribed format for subsequent use.
- Contributing to the preparation of state capability related knowledge products such as technical reports, background papers, working papers, policy briefs, Monitoring & Evaluation reports, newsletters, blogs, and proceedings of meetings.
- Preparing correspondence to verify data, answer queries, and obtain additional information on SC activities and operational matters, as required.
- Supporting the SC team in the coordination of Alliance for a Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) deal room activities in close collaboration the State Capability- AGRF focal point.
- Carrying out other specific operational and administrative tasks for State Capability program implementation as requested.
- Contributing to the organization of meetings and workshops.
- Performing other related duties as required.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant Experience:
- A degree in development studies, sociology, agriculture economics, economics, business management, agriculture (and/or fisheries, forestry) or any other related field.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Proven experience in writing of quality technical reports will be an added advantage.
- No work experience required but a demonstration of experience in extra-curricular or non-academic activities of value will be an added advantage.
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and well-developed computer skills. Ability to effectively use information systems and databases to insert and retrieve data, make enquiries and edit results.
- Exceptional interpersonal and Teamwork skills.
- Working knowledge of English is required.
- Analytical ability, accuracy and consistency.
- Desire to learn and grow professionally.
Terms of Employment
This is an internship position based in Nairobi, Kenya. The initial contract will be for a period of three (6) months and the successful candidate shall receive a monthly stipend during this period.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to email@example.com. Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received by 24th July 2020.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer