Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. Under its current strategy, AGRA continues to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support the successful delivery, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Head of Monitoring & Evaluation and Knowledge Management.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya. (Approximately 25% Travel)
At AGRA we believe Agriculture is the single greatest opportunity to deliver inclusive economic growth, jobs, and health to the African continent. An alliance led by Africans with roots in farming communities across the continent combined with an inclusive and diverse workforce from 24 nationalities. Our values of (I-RISE; Integrity, Respect, Innovation, Stewardship and Equity.) espouse our commitment to a call to action to go beyond ourselves as we arise and transform Africa’s Agriculture.
When you join us, we present you with intellectually stimulating assignments and structured career advancement with 30% of open roles being filled internally through promotions and transfers, and a Leadership commitment for this ratio to increase. This is after setting you up for success with a World Class Onboarding for new hires where a bespoke induction trains on all aspects of the role that you will need to succeed. You will gain a full understanding of our lofty ambitions to transform African agriculture, and how you can contribute to an amazing employee experience.
An attractive remuneration package benchmarked at the 67Th Percentile of the Market with fabulous benefits such as pension, medical cover, life assurance and provision of tools of trade that allow you to work productively anywhere; which are commensurate with this position’s responsibility, scope and impact.
We are looking for people who are passionate about Africa, curious and collaborative to join our innovative, growing, and multidisciplinary team.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff & Strategy, the Head of Monitoring & Evaluation, and Knowledge Management (M&E and KM) is responsible for providing strategic, technical, and operational leadership for AGRA’s M & E and Knowledge Management functions. S/He will be responsible for providing operational and technical oversight for AGRA’s results-based management functions that support evidence-based contextual analysis, learning, decision making, strategic planning and execution, performance management and risk management within a philosophy of continuous improvement. These functions support evidence-based analysis, decision making, strategic planning and execution, strategy performance management and risk management within a philosophy of continuous learning and improvement. S/he works with the Executive Committee and across all programmatic leadership to facilitate sound programmatic planning, performance management, and learning to maximize AGRA’s impact in transforming Africa’s agriculture. S/he is responsible for building institutional partnerships with other key actors that can deliver on AGRA’s M&E and Knowledge Management plans most efficiently and effectively, as well as serving as a thought leader and external spokesperson for AGRA in the African agricultural community.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visitwww.agra.org
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor AGRA’s overall corporate strategic performance, and review implementation progress against short and medium-term measures and longer-term impact.
- Track key strategic performance measures for each Department and Division, and lead the identification of performance gaps, their implication and means of mitigation.
- Lead in the design and implementation of the AGRA’s strategic framework of M&E design and implementation; and the extraction, compilation, analysis and presentation of the generated know how through proactive processes of learning and sharing (Knowledge Management).
- Facilitate the regular updates of the corporate, departmental and divisional strategies and contribute to the baseline reference and evaluative knowledge.
- Lead in the program performance evaluation working closely with the program leadership and the departments’ M&E Officers to institute performance metrics at the design and development stage of initiatives, and to provide evaluative feedback throughout the execution stage.
- Lead in the design and the day to day effective operation of an M&E system that supports AGRA, its grantees and funding partners for purposes of achievement monitoring, learning, and resource as well as individual performance accountability at all levels.
- Act as thought leader in the organization around learning and knowledge management as well as coordination.
- Facilitate process improvements through introduction of methodological innovations, applications of results-based management and by promoting the effective dissemination of and use of M&E findings, lessons and recommendations.
- Provide leadership in tracking, documenting and methodically archiving AGRA’s corporate achievement of set performance measures and targets supported by accumulated, validated and easily accessible evidence of Divisional/Program performance.
- Prepare and present performance reports to divisional heads to inform day to day management decisions.
- Advise on areas where tracking, documentation and reporting can be enhanced to improve results management, and accountability to partners, including each country where AGRA works.
- Work with all AGRA Divisions to oversee development and institutionalization of tracking metrics and success criteria.
- Work closely with the Communications Unit to support in the attractive and credible packaging and presentation of reports and other technical documents towards enhancing AGRA’s communication objectives.
- Advise the Chief of Staff & Strategy and AGRA Management on the implications of ongoing contextual developments and AGRA work evaluation findings.
- Build institutional relationships, promoting dialogue with AGRA partners and other stakeholders through participation in joint evaluations, and inter-agency sharing of M&E results, learning and dissemination.
- Mentor all AGRA Divisions in the development and institutionalization of tracking metrics and success criteria.
- Build and manage of a team of M&E and Knowledge Management professionals in a matrix reporting environment across all of AGRA’s priority country programs and operational functions.
- Directs and provides coaching to relevant technical and administrative staff.
- Expand AGRA’s staff knowledge through collating information from across all AGRA Divisions, country and regional offices in order to share it across the organization.
- Build a comprehensive integrated approach to learning into the grant, program and strategy life cycles.
- Direct program teams on effective and efficient implementation of the guidelines for documentation and sharing of program of outputs and processes that would result in increasing visibility of AGRA’s results and impact.
- Direct the preparation, review, editing and publishing of evaluation reports.
- Liaise with the program leaders to achieve sustainable and objectively verifiable impact within each AGRA country program.
- Create and monitor the operational budget for the Unit.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience
- Master’s degree in development economics, sociology, statistics, agriculture and rural development or related fields.
- Specialized qualifications in the field of evaluation such as accreditation through globally or regionally recognized evaluation professional associations would be an advantage.
- Minimum 10 years of mid to senior level management experience in delivering agriculture or development related programmes.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in international development in a senior role formulating strategy and the design of strategic frameworks, strategy implementation & tracking tools.
- 10 years’ experience managing the M&E function in a complex agriculture or related field international organization or NGO.
- A working knowledge of French language will be an advantage.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to email@example.com noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer