Job Reference Operations– 07/2018
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation from a country perspective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Head of Grants.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, The Head of Grants will be responsible for developing, implementing, operationalizing and optimizing AGRA’s grants management strategy, policies and procedures. S/he will direct all components of grants processing, including structure of grants, regulatory compliance, and sharing of grants information with program, finance and Operations staff. S/he will lead grants monitoring and evaluation processes, and train staff in compliance, internal processes and technology for efficient use of resources. The Head of Grants will have overall responsibility for designing and implementing AGRA’s grants administration systems and ensure that AGRA’s grant making is effective and efficient. The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the formulation, implementation and operationalization of AGRA’s Grants management framework and strategy
- Lead and drive the development of all policies and procedures related to grant administration
- Guide the production of grant materials for each grant and program-related contract made by AGRA, including ensuring that all grant and contract materials are prepared accurately and in compliance with all AGRA policies and procedures and with the IRS regulations
- In collaboration with the Legal Unit, review all legal implications and ensure correctness with all grant documentation that require legal interpretation and support
- Conduct analysis on grant data for AGRA leadership and Board and produce management indicators as required
- Work closely with the Head of Resource Mobilization and Head of Monitoring and Evaluation to develop grant proposal and report formats, and to provide information from grantee reports that track progress in meeting project milestones
- Lead the Grant teams to compile the grant reports section and other grant-related sections of periodic reports to donors, board dockets and AGRA annual reports
- Drive efficiency and optimization of the Grants System (GIFTS) and ensure training is provided for other users on the software; provide user support as needed. Serve as the primary GIFTS business owner, partnering with information technology, finance and program staff to document, manage, and implement ongoing procedural enhancements, software upgrades, and new technology roll out as required
- Contribute towards the structure of AGRA’s annual grant making budget.
- Lead, Manage, and implement continuous improvement initiatives for grants administration ensuring that solutions align with strategic goals
- Implement efficient reporting procedures to guide recording of all incoming proposals and declinations in GIFTS
- Put in place a strategy to manage the flow of grants over the course of every year, advising business on timing and potential issues that need to be addressed
- Develop, implement and monitor proper fiscal administration systems and provide financial analyses of audits and reports
- Drive grantee understanding and compliance with AGRA grant application and reporting procedures
- Coach, mentor and develop staff working in the grants administration unit and across the organization on grant making rules, regulations and procedures
- Lead, implement and oversee special projects as assigned or initiated.
Key Qualifications and Experience required
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Economics, Business Administration, International Development, Finance, Public Administration or any related discipline, from a reputable institution
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, accounting, or any other related area.
- At least 12 years of experience in Financial management and accounting with 5 years of experience at senior management level in grants management in a multi donor, multi program International NGO.
- Good working knowledge of not-for-profit and private foundation law and US funding regulations.
- Computer proficiency in: Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet search skills, PowerPoint, and ability to learn new applications quickly
- Working knowledge of not-for-profit and private foundation law and accounting regulations.
- Understanding of current IRS regulations as they pertain to public charities
- Deep knowledge of agricultural development in Africa.
- Experience managing multinational initiatives in the private and/or public sector.
- Solid understanding of agricultural markets, commodities and higher value products.
- Proven ability to lead effective and high impact teams and partnerships.
- Sound knowledge of, and experience in agricultural trade development at national, regional and/or international levels.
- Strong understanding of the technical aspects of the African financial systems
- Demonstrated experience working in a complex or pioneering environment and in managing, and creating opportunities for change
- Strong relationship management experience with the ability to effectively engage with a diverse range of stakeholders at the highest levels
- Experience in formulating, developing and implementing new strategies.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number. (Candidates who had applied previously need not apply again).
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
For more information on AGRA, please can visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer