Are you a dynamic self-driven leader with strong charisma and the drive to strengthen AGRA’s international cooperation and donor relationships? Do you want to tackle some of the toughest problems facing Agriculture development in Sub-Saharan Africa? Do you want to design and manage strategic partnerships with the top funders for African agriculture development today? Then AGRA is looking for you!
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
Under its 5-year strategy, AGRA looks to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position Head, Development Cooperation.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya (Approximately 40% Travel)
Reporting to the Chief, International Cooperation, the Head, Development Cooperation develops and implements AGRA’s overall organizational resource mobilization strategy and ensures proper relationship building and stewardship while garnering a strong support base for AGRA. Working closely with the Program teams, s/he leads the development of a strong donor pipeline, strategic positioning of AGRA’s brand and development of proposals to potential funders and partners and helps coordinate stakeholder management across funders on an ongoing basis once secured. The role directly oversees a team of 4-5 staff members as well supervision of consultancies as needed.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads in the development of a comprehensive short, medium- and long-term resource mobilization strategy for sustainable growth and flexibility.
- Directs the mobilization of resources from bilateral and multilateral donors, philanthropic foundations, and other sources, both to AGRA directly and to leverage funds into priority country plans more broadly.
- Leads in the identification of funding sources, determining and managing donor funding cycles, policies and conditionalities as well as analyzes the dynamics of donor funding.
- Leads in the development and management of a comprehensive database of donors (Resource Management Systems) and up-to-date donor profiles.
- Grows visibility and new business opportunities for the organization through representing AGRA in key fora and meetings.
- Builds strategic linkages with partners and collaborators at national government level, private sector and other development partners who AGRA can work with to leverage its investments in agriculture transformation.
- Advises the Chief of International Cooperation and CFO on the development of donor financing projections and cash flow and inform negotiations around donor payments for direct and indirect costs of programming.
- Achieves talent development of existing staff, hiring new staff as necessary and manages team dynamics of the team to ensure a high-performance team.
- Communicates results through written and verbal communication.
- Directs and provides coaching to relevant technical and administrative staff.
- Directs and oversees the production of regular donor updates for the board and management
- Directs the preparation of proposals for donor funding across all AGRA programs.
- Creates flagship funding vehicles with program staff that best fund AGRA’s strategy through a range of resource mobilization tools, starting with traditional grants, but also including blended finance, impact investments, fee for service, etc.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience:
- Master’s degree in relevant field, whether agriculture, finance, marketing, business administration, law, economics, business administration, international relations, communications or other.
- Minimum 10 years of high-level experience in international development, including working in resource mobilization and/or business development for UN agencies, large NGOs or donor-aid programs.
- Experienced donor development and resource mobilization expert with a superior track record of success serving international development organizations.
- Ability to work with donors as well as manage and build strategic donor relations; sound understanding of the donor financing landscape and processes.
- Ability to work on performance-based targets for fundraising.
- Ability to work with donors, manage and build strategic donor relations.
- Experience in donor relations and sound understanding of the donor financing landscape and processes.
- Relevant additional professional qualifications in resource mobilization.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer