Job Reference FIN 06/2018
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of GST Finance & Administration Officer – Geographic Service Team (GST) 1 Mali and Burkina Faso.
Reporting to the Chief Finance Officer with a dotted reporting line to the Regional Head, the Finance & Administration Officer is responsible for providing finance administrative support to the GST/Regional Head and staff. S/he will be responsible for coordinating and supporting the development and monitoring of budgets, liaising with Finance and the Regional Head to support timely preparation of income statements, balance sheets, financial summaries and forecasts. The position is open to Mali nationals and will be based in Bamako, Mali.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead in the provision of financial management function in the GST and supervise day-to-day financial operations in the countries.
- Lead in budgeting process for all the countries under the GST.
- Monitor all GST and country budgets and ensure monthly preparation of management reports and financial analysis for country and GST Management including regular financial returns to HQ.
- Support in budgeting for donor proposals and ensure accurate and timely donor reports.
- Ensure robust cash flows management for all the offices.
- Support the streamlining of processes and procedures for improving operational efficiency of finance reporting and budgeting systems within the assigned GST
- Ensure all timely payments and expenses that are in line with policy and identify and resolve invoicing issues, accounting discrepancies and other financial related issues for the GST
- Ensure accuracy of billing and invoicing from for hosted in line with the hosting agreements and ensure regular reconciliation with the host organizations
- Ensure accuracy recording of financial information in the general and subsidiary ledgers in a timely manner and regular reconciliation of bank, cash, payables and receivables and timely follow up of outstanding items.
- Ensure that all relevant financial documents are maintained securely
- Provide oversight of all the banking relationships in countries and ensure bank reconciliations are done in a timely manner.
- Lead in the preparation of Financial statements and statutory audits and submissions for countries in the GST as well as support grantee and program audits
- Provide oversight on tax and other statutory compliance and work with the legal department to ensure that necessary statutory requirements in the countries are met.
- Ensure proper management of all fixed assets in the countries in line with policy
Key Qualifications and Experience required
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, or equivalent work experience
- An MBA in any relevant field a strong added advantage
- ONECCA “Ordre National des Experts Comptables et des Comptables Agréés du Mali certification
- At least 5 years of professional experience in accounting, finance, or financial monitoring
- Knowledge of global, country/government accounting standards
- Strong analytical, data mining ability
- Understanding of auditing techniques to help ensure GST financial operations remain in compliance.
- Computer proficiency in spreadsheets, presentations and reporting software
- Ability to work independently in a diverse environment
- Experience in working with similar organizations or institutions will be an added advantage.
- Thoroughly familiar with and experience in working with Finance regulations and reporting standards and requirements
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality
- Strong ability to influence positively both upwards and downwards
- Proven leadership ability to develop, and empower employees to achieve their best with a team approach
- Deep understanding of the Financial environment within which AGRA is operating
- Highly organized, results and detail orientated with a very hands-on approach
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and problem solving/ decision-making ability
- Intelligent, motivated self-starter with a strong work ethic
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and problem solving/ decision-making skills
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV in both French and English (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number.
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 20th June, 2018.
For more information on AGRA, please can visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer