About Generation Africa Initiative
At the African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) 2019, a new partnership initiative, Generation Africa was formed by a core group of partners from leading public and private sector organisations, with the aim of working collaboratively to bring the dynamism of youth entrepreneurship to Africa’s Agri-food sector. The partnership initiative seeks to strengthen the ecosystem that supports young agripreneurs on their journey from idea to business at scale, serving as a driver of innovation, sector growth, and job creation across the continent.
Generation Africa is expected to deliver an influential campaign and high-profile prize each year; build and curate the largest online community of African Agripreneurs connecting with the services and investments they need; research and define a continental agenda with key knowledge products; leverage high-level advocacy and the voices of champions across the globe in support of African Agripreneurship; and facilitate an open network of ecosystem actors as they define and scale up best practices across the continent.
As a flagship element of Generation Africa, the GoGettaz are the largest Pan-African community of young agri-food entrepreneurs. There are three core activities linked to GoGettaz:
- The GoGettaz online community: Social media and online platform link current and aspirant agripreneurs to the support they need, so that they better access education, support and capital as they journey from ideation to scale.
- The GoGettaz prize: A high-profile award linked to the Africa Food Prize to celebrate the next generation of young entrepreneurs. Finalists benefit from a package of support.
- The GoGettaz campaign: A year-round campaign can provide inspiration and link people to entry points for support; ultimately to create a new positive narrative across the continent about the opportunity presented by youth agripreneurship. The excitement of the GoGettaz prize and the finalists’ stories provide a backbone to the campaign.
To support the successful delivery of its mandate, the partnership is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of GoGettaz Lead.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The GoGettaz Lead is an exciting and pioneering role to grow and curate the GoGettaz community, and deliver the high-profile and far-reaching campaign and prize at the center of Generation Africa. The role holder will sit at the heart of efforts to inspire and promote a new generation of Africans that can drive growth, innovation and job creation in the agri-food sector.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communications Strategy: Laying out ambitious targets and plan for promoting agripreneurship, including by leveraging the significant reach of Generation Africa’s partners.
- Media: Generating and distributing content through social media and traditional media channels.
- Online platform: Managing the development and ongoing iteration of our online platform in partnership with VC4A. Identifying and curating the content to ensure a positive user experience.
- Prize and campaign project management: Anchoring the implementation of a powerful campaign and high-profile prize, including promotion, applications, judging, event management, and finalist experiences.
- Representation: Advocacy on behalf young entrepreneurs in key fora, either by making direct representation or by facilitating the involvement of young people themselves.
- Consultation: Surveying and data analysis of the GoGettaz community to understand trends, issues and opportunities relating to youth agripreneurs.
- Partner engagement: Ensuring that leading ecosystem actors that support youth agripreneurs are actively leveraging and promoting the GoGettaz community, either by linking in new users or by promoting their programming through the platform.
Key Qualifications, Competencies and Experience required:
- A Bachelor-level qualification in a relevant subject.
- At least 5 years’ relevant professional experience, including through roles that demonstrate:
- Direct experience with entrepreneurs, start-ups and SMEs, ideally in the agri-food sector.
- Managing strategic communications with far-reaching influence.
- Strong project management against tight deadlines.
- Understanding and affinity for young African entrepreneurs in the agri-food sector.
- Strong communication and media skills, including via social media, radio and print.
- Clear and efficient production of relevant content.
- Website management.
- Strong project management skills, including event management, including the ability to coordinate diverse partners with whom there is no direct line of accountability.
- Clear public speaker who embodies the spirit and potential of Africa’s next generation.
- English speaker, with other languages desirable, especially French.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received by 4th March, 2020.
For more information on Generation Africa, applicants can visit www.genafrica.org.
For more information on the AGRF, the institutional host of the Generation Africa Secretariat, applicants can visit www.agrf.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer