Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
Under its 5-year strategy, AGRA looks to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Finance Officer – Program Finance
This role will be reporting to the Senior Finance Officer – Program Finance. The Program Finance team is part of the core finance team in AGRA. The team is responsible for the overall financial management of AGRA’s Programs/programs. The team manages a collaborative effort with the Management Accounting team, Financial Accounting team, Grants team, Internal Audit team, Legal and Program teams to oversee financial policies and procedures supporting AGRA’s administration and management of the Award agreements and sub-agreements; and the implementation of financial oversight mechanisms to ensure financial integrity and compliance with donor requirements across the programs. The team serves as the financial liaison to all donors, and will represent AGRA at any of donor and Program partner meetings and ensure consolidation of the periodic award budgets, financial reports, strong tracking of program expenditures, continual analysis of Program cash flow, ensuring compliance with AGRA’s and donor policies.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support in ensuring the accuracy on postings that confirm to the Program design, and budgets.
- Work closely with Financial and Management team to develop Navision dimensions that reflect sufficiently AGRA’s reporting requirements.
- Provide overall financial oversight to AGRA programs at all stages including timely preparation of budgets, and financial reports.
- Maintain primary relationship with donors. Correspond with donors on all financial requests and questions.
- Develop and update Program-specific budget and financial reporting templates for AGRA and sub-recipients, as requested by the donor.
- Ensure all Program Audits are conducted on time and audit findings resolved adequately.
- Assist the Management Accounting team and CFO to prepare the institutional budgets and budget narratives that are accurate, reasonable, consistent with the strategy, and adhere to donor and AGRA policies.
In conjunction with the Grants Unit & Programs teams:
- On a monthly basis, carefully track and report consolidated program expenses, burn rates, and cash received from donors/funders.
- Prepare consolidated financial reports for programs based on the contract obligation schedules.
- Maintain and monitor a consolidated sub-award financial tracking tool for the whole program. Ensuring the Grants schedule is up to date.
- Coordinate review of all requests from sub-recipients for prior approvals (international travel, procurements) and budget modifications with Resource Mobilization.
- Provide periodic budget monitoring reports to the program teams to guide in decision making with the ultimate aim of meeting donor expectations.
- Ensure Grants Committee has all the financial data required to comply with the specific donor sub-award requirements.
- Create, monitor, and track compliance with program audits in relation to specific donor regulations, accounting best practice and standard provisions.
In consultation with the Resource Mobilization Unit:
- At the proposal stage, review all financial implications of grant agreements and contracts to ensure that all cost drivers are sufficiently addressed and cost elements adequately factored in the proposal.
- Ensure the Resource Mobilization team has all the financial data required to comply with funding requirements.
- Ensure key processes are followed so that Award risk assessment receives consistent attention and direct support.
- Responsible for the management of the Award vision module in Navision and provide adequate capacity building to both Resource Mobilization and Finance Unit on its use for effective award management.
- Work closely with the Strategy team to track and ensure programs are aligned to the AGRA institutional strategy and provide feedback on areas of deviation.
- Work closely with M&E team on the alignment of Program financial reports to the results framework.
Training and Capacity Building
- Provide expertise, advice, and training to Program staff to build their understanding of financial terms, conditions, and standards to ensure that programs are delivered with minimized compliance risk; and work collaboratively with Regional and Country teams to train and build capacity of local staff.
- Travel to train and support colleagues, monitor financial management of the programs, and conduct site visits to Program locations and sub-recipient offices to ensure compliance risk and financial controls are adequate.
Standards and Systems Development
- Collaborate with colleagues to implement guidelines, procedures, standards, work processes, manuals, metrics, and methodologies for a successful and comprehensive financial management system applicable to all Programs.
- Contribute to the development of Navision and any other financial implementation toolkit in collaboration with the Finance colleagues to ensure effective and efficient financial clarity.
- In conjunction with the Programs, Grants, Operations Units, stay abreast of any new donor financial regulations and ensure alignment with AGRA policies.
AGRA Core Activities
- Participate in AGRA finance activities.
- Support the finance unit in development of financial policies that ensure effective financial management.
- Work closely with finance team and support in the approvals of documents.
- Raise red flags to management of any possible non-compliance at all levels.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience:
- A university degree in Commerce, Accounting, Business Administration or related field;
- Full accounting qualification i.e. CPA, ACCA or equivalent;
- At least 5 years’ demonstrable skills in the development of finance and accounting policies, procedures and systems in the context of an international NGO;
- Good knowledge of fund accounting including reporting requirements of major Bi-lateral and Multi-lateral Aid agencies and Foundations;
- Hands-on knowledge of the major ERP software would be a distinct advantage;
- Excellent English and knowledge of local languages an asset.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received by 15th October 2019.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer