Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
Background of the African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF):
Established in 2010, the African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) is considered the world’s most important and impactful forum for African agriculture, pulling together stakeholders in the agricultural landscape to take practical actions and share lessons that will move African agriculture forward. It is a unique multi-disciplinary forum where delegates discuss and commit to programs, investments, and policies that can counter the major challenges affecting the agriculture sector on the continent.
The AGRF Partners Group is currently made up of a coalition of 21 leading actors in African agriculture, including the African Union Commission (AUC), the African Development Bank, the African Fertilizer and Agribusiness Partnership (AFAP), the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Corteva, the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Grow Africa, the International Development Research Center (IDRC) of Canada, the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), the Mastercard Foundation, NEPAD Agency, OCP Group, the Rockefeller Foundation, SACAU, Syngenta, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), UPL, the US Agency for International Development (USAID), and Yara International ASA. The Chair of the AGRA Board also serves as Chair of the AGRF Partners Group and the AGRF Secretariat is hosted by AGRA on behalf of partners.
AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Executive Officer, AGRF. The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel, approximately 15 – 20% per month.
The AGRF Executive Officer is required to provide administrative and logistical support for the Forum and its workings throughout the year. S/he will be responsible for supporting the development of appropriate themes for each annual Forum and supporting the relevant resource-persons to resource various dialogues, coordinate a range of national/ regional events to outline key advocacy messages and influence key policymakers and supporting the documentation of success stories coming out of AGRF. This position works closely with the program, administrative and finance teams on all issues.
Under the guidance of the Head of AGRF, the Executive Officer will play a key role in supporting and coordinating AGRF as a leading forum in the African agriculture development space by aggregating, packaging, and tailoring information gathered through the AGRF Forum and activities and disseminating it to stakeholders for the purposes of convening actors for partnership, scaling models, and mobilizing resources.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage all office operational and administrative activities of AGRF.
- Manage business processes and relations between the AGRF partners and AGRA, as well as maintain an in-depth knowledge of AGRF, respond and/or re-route general requests for information and act as the main liaison person with other offices in AGRA.
- Support the setting up of various thematic working groups and communities of practice to discuss critical issues relating to the AGRF mandate.
- Effectively support resource mobilization activities as well as tracking of the unit’s expenditure and budget.
- Support the Unit’s travel and events administration not limited to the thematic working group meetings and the main Forum (minimum of four meetings a year).
Meetings and Visitor management
- Manage the Head of AGRF’s diary, activities and work-plan for the unit.
- Organize annual partner’s meetings and manage action lists from the partner meetings.
- Manage the preparatory work required for procurement, contracting, administration, and validation & review systems of sub-contractors that oversee AGRF projects.
- Works closely with AGRA’s Travel Office in the organization of the Head of AGRF local and international travel by providing timely information; contacts hosts and arranges hotel accommodation, appointments, and processes travel expenses.
- Assists in providing administrative and logistical support to other visitors to locations where travel is initiated by AGRF.
- Makes necessary arrangements for AGRF’s meetings, workshops and conferences, books rooms, drafts agenda, compiles and distributes background documentation; as well as taking notes and circulation.
- Performs other duties in accordance with instructions from the Head of AGRF as well as sometimes attending and participating in meetings.
- Supports logistics for technical working group convening’s maintain records and an effective and up-to-date tracking record of consultants and service-providers for AGRF; follow up with consultants to ensure they deliver.
- Ensure service-providers are contracted, supported and paid according to AGRA policies and procedures within the timeframes agreed.
- Manage AGRF registration and maintain effective team filing on the G drive/Dropbox, archiving and record keeping systems, both paper and electronic.
Key Qualifications and Experience required:
- At least 6 years’ experience managing a busy, high profile office will be useful
- At least 3 years of post-qualification experience in managing complex conferences and events similar to AGRF.
- Computer proficiency and familiarity with a range of software applications
- Experience working for non-profit organization or public enterprise.
- Specialized training in public relations or communications is preferred.
- First degree in Management, Public Administration or any area relevant to the position from a recognized University/Institution.
- Proven excellent organizational skills combined with the ability to initiate, improve and maintain open administrative systems that support delivery on results and outcomes.
- Proven ability to remain calm, focused and organized and to deliver results on time when under pressure and with rapidly changing circumstances.
- Demonstrated capacity for a high level of energy to work with others (both AGRA staff and partners) in a fast paced and dynamic office.
- Ability to organize multiple tasks, prioritizing and delegating appropriately and saying “no” or finding alternative solutions when appropriate.
- Ability to build effective working relationships with others – at all levels of the organization;
- Capability to gather and analyze large amounts of information.
- Judgement and initiative to (A) anticipate the Head of AGRF’s standard responses and preferred courses of action and (B) to identify when the Head of AGRF or another person should deal with an issue direct or guide the response.
- High level of tact and diplomacy and the ability to use appropriate styles and methods of communication to ensure a professional yet personal service.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to email@example.com.
Please quote the job reference number (EO-AGRF/06/2019) in the subject line of the application e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received by 20th June 2019.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer