Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
Under its 5-year strategy, AGRA looks to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support the successful delivery, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Executive Assistant, General Counsel.
The roles will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Executive Assistant – General Counsel is responsible for providing critical support to the General Counsel across their full range of work including providing a variety of relevant administrative, coordination and logistical support for the legal unit. The Executive Assistant serves as liaison between the General Counsel and other relationships both at AGRA and externally to foster information flow, communication, and coordination, as well as acts as the General Counsel’s proxy in key internal and external meetings and outreach.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparation, management and tracking of board annual calendar of meetings.
- Assisting with the coordination and logistical matters for all Board and committee meetings including managing travel, accommodation and any other arrangements for board members.
- Assisting in the planning of board meetings including the preparation and assembly of board documents and materials.
- Assisting in the planning of events for the board and the Office of the AGRA President when needed as well as providing support on major events, where Board involvement is required.
- Preparing resolutions as required and maintaining an up-to-date resolution tracker.
- Preparing and distributing annual questionnaires and committee evaluation materials for board members.
Other General Administrative Support
- Developing, managing, and maintaining a mechanism for information flow to and from the General Counsel.
- Developing and maintaining the process of information coming to the General Counsel, including triage or delegation, monitoring follow-up, and at times, responding on behalf of the General Counsel.
- Manage tracking system for incoming correspondence to the General Counsel to ensure requests and decisions are managed and tracked for current decision-making and historical record keeping.
- Developing annual plans and compile prioritized requests for the General Counsel and the legal unit.
- Manage and vet new internal/external opportunities arising through the year not included in plans. Includes assessing and analyzing prioritized requests from the Board and stakeholders across the organization.
- Preparing reports, memos and presentations on behalf of the General Counsel.
- Coordinate with AGRA’s travel office in the planning of local and international travel for the unit and processing travel expenses.
- Filing of contracts and keeping track of the contract register.
- Preparation, management and tracking of the Legal and Board Secretariat budget.
- Support in legal vendor on-boarding, ensuring that contracting as per the procurement policy and ensuring payments are processed in a timely manner.
- Scheduling of regular Unit meetings as directed, documenting minutes and action plans arising.
- Leads in the preparation, execution, and follow up for Unit meetings as well as events and other engagements for the team.
- Lead on the General Counsel’s internal/employee communications with the Legal Counsels.
- Advises on the development of the Board’s profile and media engagement in partnership with the office of the President and Communications team.
- Lead in the management of initiatives or projects that are top priority to the General Counsel.
- Delivers efficient and effective administrative support to the General Counsel and the legal unit.
- Organizes documents of the Unit for ease retrieval and references and maintaining the unit’s database and documentation.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience
- Minimum of 7 years’ work experience in an executive assistant, administration or related role.
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in any relevant field.
- Experience in dealing with Senior Management and board members.
- Excellent report writing and power point skills.
- Strong planning and organizing skills and ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills; courtesy, tact, patience and team orientation.
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task and to prioritize work amidst competing demands.
- Computer proficiency, especially in MS Office applications; ability to learn new applications quickly.
- Good command of English; working knowledge of French would be an added advantage.
- Commitment to AGRA’s mission and core values.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 26th January, 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer