Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
Under its 5-year strategy, AGRA continues to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA delivers through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support the successful delivery, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Development Cooperation Officer, West Africa.
Reporting to the Head of Development Cooperation and in collaboration with AGRA’s Program teams, s/he will lead the development and presentation of proposals to potential donors and partners, support teams on compliance to donor and AGRA requirements during implementation, and coordinate stakeholder management across donors on an ongoing basis to maximize delivery of the strategic partnerships and shared mission. The role will be based in Accra, Ghana with regular engagement and support to AGRA West African countries, including particularly Ghana, Burkina Faso, Mali and Nigeria. The role will also provide support to other AGRA focus regions and countries from time to time as requested based on priorities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Resource mobilization strategy development and pipeline development
- Develop a comprehensive short, medium and long-term resource mobilization and development cooperation strategy for sustainable growth and flexibility for the region.
- Analyze key trends and gathers intelligence of individual donor policies and plans vis-à-vis AGRA.
- Identify bilateral, multilateral, philanthropic, and private sector partners and translating partnership opportunity into both funds and leverage in furtherance of program and resource targets.
- Lead in understanding and cultivate opportunities with a portfolio of key development partners for the region as assigned to the team, including the African Development Bank, Islamic Development Bank, and key bilateral and foundation partners for the region.
- Acquire and build strategic relationships with a portfolio of development partners and collaborators at national government, regional level, and private sector that AGRA can work with to leverage its investments in agricultural transformation.
- Implement and manage a donor database containing critical information e.g. donor policies, funding cycles etc. in order to strengthen AGRA’s institutional capacity to effectively position itself with potential donors, retain and upgrade current partners.
- Fund raising and business development
- Secure funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, philanthropic foundations, and other sources, both to AGRA directly and to leverage funds into priority country plans more broadly.
- Expand AGRA’s current donor base, through effective stewardship and new funding opportunities as may be developed to grow donor support for AGRA
- Work with technical teams to formulate technical inputs into concepts and proposals for donor funding and achieve pledge conversion rate and sufficient, predictable and sustainable donor support for AGRA in West Africa priority countries – Ghana, Burkina Faso, Mali, and Nigeria.
- Collaborate with other Development Cooperation Officers to develop concept notes, proposals and budgets which drive the achievement of AGRA’s strategic plan and align with both AGRA and donor priorities.
- Organize capacity building sessions in resource mobilization efforts as necessary.
- Donor stewardship
- Maintain a dynamic and comprehensive donor relations and stewardship system that fosters positive and mutually rewarding relations between AGRA and its donors.
- Engage with prospective and established donors, working closely with AGRA’s Communication Unit and Strategy & Analytics Unit, to coordinate inputs to external events and opportunities.
- Advise and responds to internal and prepare response to external queries regarding donor contributions.
- Organize for briefings, meetings, visits and events with current and prospective donors, coordinate programmatic and logistical arrangements, draft reports and set action plans for follow-up.
- Donor engagement / Representation
- Advise the President and senior managers in identifying representational events with the potential for meaningful donor interaction. Provide proactive and timely advice to senior management on strategic interaction with individual donors.
- Represent AGRA at external forums and meetings on occasion to position the institution with donors and partners critical to achieving AGRA’s strategy.
- Assess the AGRA’s strategy documents and knowledge management products to help best position the institution for resource mobilization.
- Reporting and compliance
- Create regular donor updates for the board and management.
- Organize and harmonize reporting guidelines to donors across all AGRA activities to the extent possible in order to make reporting most efficient.
- Advise teams on donor compliance and AGRA requirements, including ensuring timely and quality reporting.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience
- Master’s degree in International Development, Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Public Finance, Public Administration, Rural Development, Social Sciences, or any other relevant field.
- Minimum of 7 years’ of high-level experience in international development, including working in resource mobilization and/or business development for UN agencies and multi-lateral agencies, large NGO’s or donor-aid programs.
- Experienced donor development and resource mobilization expert with a superior track record of success serving international development organizations.
- Ability to work with donors as well as manage and build strategic donor relations; sound understanding of the donor financing landscape and processes.
- Ability to work on performance-based targets for fundraising.
- Results-oriented, accountable, proactive and able to work on behalf of AGRA with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Ability to work effectively within multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Results-oriented and accountable.
- Optimistic and persuasive that African farmers and consumers will benefit from improved, well-adapted agricultural technologies and reforms across the input and output value chains
- Ability to translate program-based concepts into practical realities.
- Proven ability to work with donors, manage and build strategic donor relations in West Africa is essential.
- Fluency in English and French is required both written and verbal, as a working language of AGRA and key partners in West Africa region and priority countries.
- Knowledge of and relationships with European bilateral and multilateral donors will be an advantage
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer