Deputy Chief of Party, Nairobi: Job Reference DCOP/KE/11/2018
The Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) was founded in 2006 under the leadership of Kofi Annan, through a partnership between the Rockefeller Foundation and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Today AGRA also receives funding from other governments, agencies and international institutions. AGRA is an African-based organization with a vision of a food secure and prosperous Africa achieved through rapid, sustainable agricultural growth based on smallholder farmers, majority of whom are women. AGRA’s vision is that Africa can feed itself and the world and aims to increase the incomes and improve the food security of 30 million smallholder farmers in five years (2017-2021 strategy).
AGRA’s strategy 2017-2021, expects to invest US$ 500 million into various programs in 11 countries in Africa. AGRA is the go to partner for governments and other actors seeking an agricultural transformation on the continent, and its understanding of the landscape and thought leadership in forums and communications are critical to shaping the policies, programs, and investments of other players in the sector.
To support this transformation, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Deputy Chief of Party – Technical.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Deputy Chief of Party is an exciting new position for USAID-GDA. The role will be: Responsible for technical leadership and administrative oversight of the program; serve as the institutional liaison to USAID. Responsible for the day-to-day management of the Program to ensure progress in meeting its targets; oversee, give orientation to, and facilitate the work of AGRA teams operating at national and sub-regional/ regional levels, objectives, and activities. This position reports to the Vice President – Country Support and Delivery.Key Duties and Responsibilities:
a) Program development and Quality
- Develop and modify as necessary the annual technical work plans and budget
- Support the design of proposals and SOW for engagements with USAID missions
- Support the development of work plans/ proposals following USAID mission buy-in
- Organizing regional gatherings which focus on common constraints
- Compiling monthly, quarterly, semiannual and annual reports and other ad hoc reports, as needed, in compliance with the requirements of USAID in consultation with relevant teams
- Report detailing up-to-date status of country pipelines and disbursements
- Periodic Progress reports on program implementation
c) Coordination and Operational support to National and regional teams
Enhancing the operations of AGRA country programs through the coordination of consultations between AGRA officers and consultants.
- Contributing to communications between AGRA and USAID country offices, as well as managing relationships with USAID Feed the Future Coordinators in USAID missions.
- Representing AGRA at key country and or regional fora and donor meetings.
- Providing regular verbal and written reports, updates and briefings on programs and achievements to the AGRA Management Committee.
d) Management and Administration
- Identifying and contracting international and regional technical experts.
- Engaging on the operations in particular USAID mission buy-ins, through regular field visits.
- Support compliance with all USAID and other donor rules and regulations.
Key Qualifications and Experience required:
- Either Master’s degree with 12 years’ experience or a PhD. with 10 years, or a Bachelors with 20 years; with special focus on either (i) agricultural systems development, (ii) policy reform, or (iii) integrated value chain development, or (iv) finance and investment in development context. At least five years of senior-level experience in program management.
- At least 5 years’ experience in program management, either as a USAID project COP/ DCOP, or comparable role.
- At least 5 years’ experience implementing regional development programs in Africa.
- Proven successful experience providing leadership and advocacy engaging high level policy makers.
- At least 5 years work experience with overseeing sub awards, grants and contracts management.
- Excellent analytical, writing, presentation, facilitation and communication skills.
- Knowledgeable in systems and process redesign, change management, development strategies, operational plans and implementation.
- Have an optimism that African farmers and consumers can benefit from improved, well-adapted agricultural technologies.
- A mature professional who is a solution-oriented problem solver and supportive towards colleagues and external collaborators.
- Ability to move from program concept to successful, measureable on-the-ground implementation reality.
- An effective team player and team leader.
- Results-oriented, accountable, with proactive leadership skills.
- Determined, hard-working, individual who is prepared to work around barriers that arise in the course of an initiative.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to email@example.com. Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received by 17th December, 2018.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer