Position: Country Manager, Rwanda
Location: Kigali, Rwanda.
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives.
Therefore, AGRA’s vision for a sustainable, inclusive agriculture transformation in Africa, requires the inclusion and empowerment of women, men and youth, at all levels of the agriculture system. AGRA has recently rolled out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. AGRA will deliver this strategy through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Country Manager, Rwanda.
The Country Manager, Rwanda is the resident representative responsible for delivering the AGRA-Rwanda Strategy and plans. S/he reports to the Regional Head (Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania) mainly be responsible for coordinating building necessary and sufficient partnership with the government, organizations of smallholder farmers, other private sector investors and actors, development partners (DPs) and other key stakeholders.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead development of country plan on an annual basis in collaboration with AGRA teams
- Coordinate country-level interventions set out in the country plan, working with program teams to deliver innovative intervention models across the value chain
- Convene and build relationships with domestic government, private sector, donors, civil society organizations and others with a presence in country, to build and nurture country-level partnerships deemed essential to AGRA’s mission in the country
- Represent AGRA in key meetings and forums of the government and its development partners including donor coordination meetings that contribute to the advancement of AGRA’s investments in the country
- Coordinate, facilitate, and oversee implementation of AGRA-supported investments and foster the integration of AGRA’s investments in country
- Oversee country level research required to complete the country plan on a periodic basis, to ensure that country and program objectives are aligned to the national/government goals and objectives
- Identifying and pursuing opportunities to mobilize resources in support of AGRA’s priorities and/or advocating for public and private sector stakeholders to scale AGRA’s demonstrated intervention models in country;
- Maintain working knowledge of national agricultural sector development plans in order to identify and pursue opportunities to (i) mobilize resources to support AGRA’s priorities and/or (ii) advocate for public and private sector stakeholders to scale AGRA’s demonstrated intervention models in country
- Relay feedback from AGRA’s partners, especially the government and development partners to other parts of the organization
- Provide day to day guidance, oversight, management, and professional development of Country Team, and oversee the work of AGRA consultants in the country as needed
- Assist Program officers to research and develop grantee portfolios dealing with constraints, resources and opportunities for increasing and improving seed and technology supply at farmer levels
- Draw on the expertise of AGRA program officers in the areas of soil fertility, policy, and farmer organizations to enhance the operations of country strategies and link program investments and activities to other AGRA initiatives
- Serve as primary point-of-contact to donors in the relevant countries, furnishing them with required reports, day-to-day communications, and timely insights on program challenges and breakthroughs in a manner which maintains their positive engagement with the program.
Skills and Experience Required
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in agriculture related international development work, with proven track record in the management of diverse teams working across diverse geographies.
- Knowledge, skills and proven record of accomplishment at management, coordination delivery and leadership roles in seed and input systems development, strongly preferred.
- High knowledge of challenges and opportunities for agricultural transformation in Rwanda in particular, and in Sub-Saharan Africa, in general; With special reference to Rwanda:
- Experience and proven track record of effective policy and government engagement, such as working with officials including Parliamentary Committees, Ministers, and Permanent Secretaries, as well as organizing and facilitating policy dialogues sessions of ministers and other high level officials,
- Proven record in influencing regional and national policies and strategies with respect to agricultural transformation, and
- Experience, skills and proven record of accomplishment in working with the private sector, such as agribusinesses and financial institutions;
- Experience working with a large multinational development agency in a management and coordination role is an advantage;
- Passionate about the mission and opportunity AGRA has to catalyze and sustain agricultural transformation in Rwanda in particular, and Africa in general; and
- Strong background and proven track record in delivering complex agriculture programs.
Qualifications and Other Requirements:
- Master’s degree in Agriculture, Economics or related disciplines;
- A relevant Doctorate degree will be an added advantage;
- Fluency in English and the main national language is mandatory; A working knowledge of French will be an added advantage
- Available to start the assignment as soon as possible
- Professional development programs in leadership and management including financial and staff supervision/performance management.
- Proficient in program management
- Proficient in program design and M&E
- An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
- Strategic Orientation: focus on the big picture and overall Strategic Framework. Ability to identify and pursue strategic initiatives which provide the greatest value and sustainable impact; balances long and short-term trade-offs; communicates clearly and precisely the strategic goals and the strategies for achieving them.
- Leadership: Demonstrates ability to mobilize, focus, align, and build effective groups to enable them conceptualize and achieve collective objectives. Inspires Trust and Passion in the AGRA Mission: Ability to show great drive and commitment to AGRA mission; help others understand how their daily work contributes to the AGRA’s mission and inspires others to proactively meet the AGRA’s strategic objectives in partnership with clients. Maintains high standards of personal integrity and provides support for professional development efforts linked to business objectives.
- Technical Competencies for the position: Demonstrates knowledge of all own work role specific issues. This encompasses the technical skills or knowledge required to perform the essential duties as described in this Job Description.
- People Development: Develops the capabilities of AGRA by acquisition of top talent and development of people working under consistently with the organization’s stated objectives.
- Customer and market Orientation: Demonstrates knowledge of the customers they serve, competitors, suppliers, and the regulatory environment. Provides a balanced a responsive and proactive approach to meeting client needs; encourages staff to understand client needs and concerns; ensures provision of customized services and products as appropriate; Responds promptly and effectively to client and market needs. Adds business value based on own understanding and service of the customers and the market in which they work.
- Driving for Results: Demonstrates drive for improvement of business results, based on well-rounded understanding of general business principles and own activities’ commercial and financial implications.
- Exceptional Communication skills and ability to represent AGRA externally at high levels.
- Intercultural Sensitivity and Effectiveness: Demonstrates ability to cross and bridge different racial, cultural, or business cultures. This requires and is exhibited by personal experience of international or cross-cultural business with improved achievements.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job title in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 16th March, 2018
For more information on AGRA, please visit: www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer