Duration: 1 Year
AGRA is hiring a consultant/Advisor for Policy Advocacy and Communication. The consultant/Advisor will be responsible for working across the Policy and State Capability Division to leverage and influence its ecosystem of partners at global, regional, national and sub-national levels to trigger positive impact on AGRA’s country and regional investments. The role will primarily work across the continent to help design and implement policy advocacy and communication strategies in support of AGRA’s country and regional programs. Under the supervision of the Head of Policy & Advocacy and in close coordination with a team of Program Officers in the Policy and Advocacy Unit, the incumbent will also work closely with AGRA’s Communications, Monitoring and Evaluation and Knowledge Management teams to define and realize AGRA’s policy, advocacy and communications objectives in Africa.
The Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) is a not-for-profit organization working with African governments, other donors, NGOs, the private sector, and African farmers to significantly and sustainably improve the productivity and incomes of resource poor smallholder farmers in Africa. AGRA aims to ensure that smallholders have what they need to succeed: good seeds and healthy soils; access to markets, information, financing, storage and transport; and policies that provide them with comprehensive support. Through developing Africa’s high-potential breadbasket areas, while also boosting farm productivity across more challenging environments, AGRA works to transform smallholder agriculture into a highly productive, efficient, sustainable and competitive system, while protecting the environment. Recognizing that inappropriate or poorly implemented policies can blunt incentives for investment in productivity-enhancing products and services, AGRA’s Policy and Advocacy Program leads the organization’s efforts to strengthen Africa’s food and agricultural policy systems over the long-term while spurring reform and innovation in the short-term.
Working closely with the, Program Officer – Advocacy Research and Data Analytics, Knowledge Management Office (KMO,) of AGRA and key staff in the Communications Unit, the Consultant/Advisor will support efforts to develop clear and powerful advocacy messages, products, and processes tailored to target audiences at country, regional, and global levels.
Reporting to the Head of Policy and Advocacy, the consultant/Advisor will perform the following specific tasks:
- Support the Unit and Department to identify optimal advocacy pathways that would trigger agricultural transformation at regional and country level. This will involve working with staff and government, non-state actors (especially civil society farmers’ organization, and private sector), and development partners to define, analyze and situate the unique role for AGRA.
- Responsible for supporting the creation and implementation of clear, comprehensive and detailed country advocacy strategies and implementation plans for select priority countries.
- Develop strong narratives and messages to articulate AGRA’s strategy and policy work to key audiences through providing high quality content development, editing and formatting for all program related documents.
- Build out models, best practices and case studies for country-based policy and advocacy work to ensure AGRA is continuously learning from prior efforts, including those of our partners.
- Lead the generation of campaign strategies that will rally and support partners to strengthen the agriculture ecosystem.
- Influence and guide the development of concept notes, policy positions, formulation and implementation.
- Assist country teams in the development of grant proposals in the areas of policy advocacy.
- Provide technical assistance to advocacy grantees and assist in monitoring progress of implementation of advocacy program grants.
- Identify and support ways to address key institutional and partner capacity needs that will accelerate progress towards policy and advocacy goals.
- In partnership with the Communications and Knowledge Management teams, identify and package stories and knowledge products that demonstrate what AGRA is learning, achieving and doing in the Policy and Advocacy space to drive impact under its strategy with key audiences.
- Provide support to the Monitoring and Evaluation Unit in packaging, reporting and presentation of outputs, outcomes and impacts of the Policy and Advocacy Unit.
- Provide substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences etc. to include proposing agenda topics, preparation of documents and presentations, identifying participants etc.
- Participate-in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties, drafting mission summaries, verifying and de-conflicting information with originators at HQ and in the field etc.
- Design and facilitate advocacy training for AGRA management and staff.
- Develop a range of high-quality advocacy products based on advocacy messages derived from AGRA knowledge products.
- Provide high quality editing and formatting for all program related documents.
- Support relevant program staff in organizing and managing seminars, workshops, press conferences and field visits as required.
- Support relevant program staff in progress reporting and continuous analysis of the achievements, including peer review as relevant.
- Verify and de-conflict information with originators at HQ and in the field.
- Identify and prioritize issues for inclusion in regular system-wide operational reporting, including news/media reporting on priority matters relating to global events.
- Summarize information and develop supporting graphics to produce and approve regular operational reports.
- Produce ad hoc special incident (‘flash’) reports.
- Respond to AGRA leadership requests for information.
- Design and facilitate implementation of advocacy training to AGRA management and staff.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience:
- A Masters’ degree in International Relations, Political Science, Economics, Development Studies, Public Relations, Journalism, or related field.
- Significant experience in development-related activities in Africa.
- Significant experience planning and coordinating major public events.
- Significant and increasingly responsible professional experience in advocacy or public relations; exposure to approaches and methods for stakeholder mapping, assessment and targeting an added advantage.
- Significant experience with detailed report preparation.
- Knowledge of training methods and approaches.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office;
- Detail-oriented ability to work at a fast pace and meet deadlines.
- Strong writing skills with the ability to synthesize and articulate information;
- Strong work ethic, commitment to accuracy, and ability to handle confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to function and communicate professionally and effectively.
- Ability to communicate and translate fluently between English. French highly desirable.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the consultancy reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 16th October, 2020.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer