Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. Under its current strategy, AGRA continues to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
Seed systems in sub-Saharan Africa are frequently poorly aligned with best practices and thus unable to serve African farmers effectively. A key reason for the poor alignment is lack of knowledge and capacity among key individuals from both public and private sectors responsible for implementing various activities within national seed systems. AGRA is working to address this challenge through the establishment of its new Center of Excellence for Seed Systems in Africa (CESSA). A foundational cornerstone of CESSA is the Seed Systems Assessment Tool (SeedSAT), which is a newly rolled-out approach for analyzing seed systems at a holistic level. Early results from SeedSAT assessments are establishing that a key flagship program within CESSA will need to be Capacity Building and Technical Support.
To support the successful delivery of this assignment, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Communications Officer – Digital & Content Development.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
At AGRA we believe Agriculture is the single greatest opportunity to deliver inclusive economic growth, jobs, and health to the African continent. An alliance led by Africans with roots in farming communities across the continent combined with an inclusive and diverse workforce from 24 nationalities. Our values of (I-RISE; Integrity, Respect, Innovation, Stewardship and Equity.) espouse our commitment to a call to action to go beyond ourselves as we arise and transform Africa’s Agriculture.
When you join us, we present you with intellectually stimulating assignments and structured career advancement with 30% of open roles being filled internally through promotions and transfers, and a Leadership commitment for this ratio to increase. This is after setting you up for success with a World Class Onboarding for new hires where a bespoke induction trains on all aspects of the role that you will need to succeed. You will gain a full understanding of our lofty ambitions to transform African agriculture, and how you can contribute to an amazing employee experience.
An attractive remuneration package benchmarked at the 67Th Percentile of the Market with fabulous benefits such as pension, medical cover, life assurance and provision of tools of trade that allow you to work productively anywhere; which are commensurate with this position’s responsibility, scope and impact.
We are looking for people who are passionate about Africa, curious and collaborative to join our innovative, growing, and multidisciplinary team.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visitwww.agra.org
The Communications Specialist – Digital & Content Development contributes to AGRA’s efforts to design and implement a communications strategy that positions AGRA as an impactful and leading organization in African agriculture.
S/He works with AGRA staff on all communications events, deliverables, media, systems, and tools to support AGRA’s brand and reputation and programmatic impact. S/He is responsible for designing and executing public awareness events, engaging in media relations, and managing the tactical implementation of the communications strategy, including development of success stories, technical publications and corporate newsletters of field and/or laboratory work, although primary emphasis will be on digital delivery whenever possible.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop the appropriate regional communications plan as well as specific national communications plans to drive visibility for AGRA at regional and national level.
- Create clear, consistent messages demonstrating the purpose and value of AGRA.
- Oversee and develop AGRA’s social media strategy with social media specialist Initiates the production of all AGRA print and online publications and well as infographics website.
- Support production of corporate collaterals such as country profiles, AGRA country profiles, etc.
- Advise the regional team leader and senior AGRA officials on strategic communications activities and efforts by scheduling appropriate interviews, field visits and appointments.
- Act as liaison with AGRA’s communications consultants within the region.
- Engage with the Programs Assistant in making necessary arrangements for meetings, workshops and conferences by providing printed materials and distributing background documentation.
- Showcase AGRA’s events and activities on various media platforms including print, radio and television.
- Reporting to the Head of Communications, liaises with country level stringers to report on AGRA’s work and impact.
- Organize for digital photography and videography and ensure that photographic images are appropriately stored.
- Deliver content for social media, handles all local and international media coverage activities e.g. press releases and provides monthly reports to the supervisor.
- Devise innovative approaches to document AGRA’s success stories and highlights the excellent work being done by the organization’s partners and grantees on the ground.
- Organize for press conferences, media training modules and field visits for AGRA management, senior staff and representatives within the region.
- Produce podcasts for AGRA’s voices of Africa series to showcase AGRA’s work especially at country level.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience:
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience in corporate communications.
- Sound knowledge of front-end development (HTML and CSS).
- Background in Agriculture will be an asset.
- A working knowledge of English. Fluency in French will be an advantage
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in Communications, Journalism, Media Arts, Web Design, Graphic Design, or Digital Marketing.
- Any additional professional qualifications in Communications and Journalism an advantage
- Results-oriented, accountable, proactive and able to work on behalf of AGRA with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Ability to work effectively within multi-disciplinary teams.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Results-oriented and accountable.
- Optimistic and persuasive that African farmers and consumers will benefit from improved, well-adapted agricultural technologies and reforms across the input and output value chains.
- Ability to communicate effectively and with polish to individuals and groups of people.
- Ability to translate program-based concepts into practical realities.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 25th May,2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer