Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation from a country perspective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Associate Program Officer.
The role will be based in Kampala, Uganda.
Reporting to the Country Manager, the Associate Program Officer (APO) will:
- Facilitate linkages between smallholder farmers and the private sector to sustain agricultural transformation.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the key partners (e.g. private sector) to understand their work, discern the role AGRA should play
- Collaborate effectively with these partners to develop and implement significant opportunities that link large groups of productive smallholder farmers to the market and help governments to sustain agricultural transformations where they may be struggling.
- Develop and frequently communicate AGRA’s institutional positions on public and private sector partnerships in global, regional, and national forums. with significant business development responsibilities
- Manage results through partnerships at local level by providing technical support and foster linkages with AGRA partners who may include Government ministries and agencies, NGOs and private sector organizations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understand and manage AGRA’s brand image at local levels;
- Work with private sector at local level to ensure that the smallholder farmers engaged under relevant consortia have adequate access to supply of inputs and services in the up-stream, and output markets in the downstream of the value chains;
- Coordinate with other players to create synergies between AGRA funded initiatives and those of others within the relevant district or region;
- Document processes, results and constraints of implementation in the thematic and/or geographical area of responsibility;
- Identify gaps and opportunities for new investment to complete coverage for ensuring sustainable transformation of the engaged smallholders;
- Coordinate capacity building for the implementation partners;
- Proactively identify and pursue opportunities for using improved technologies (such as mechanization, ICT, varieties, irrigation, soil amendments, agro-processing, etc) to accelerate modernization of smallholder farming.
- Monitor and provide high quality ICT based data, information and reports of the performance, results and lessons from the implementation partners contracted by AGRA;
- Carry out administrative functions as may be necessary;
- Documenting and knowledge-sharing of the success stories, best practices and lessons learnt.
Key Qualifications and Experience required:
- A Master’s degree in Agriculture or related disciplines with deep knowledge in seed systems, market access or other relevant areas of the agriculture value chain.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in agri-business and development efforts in Africa.
- Experience in managing multinational initiatives in the private and/or public sector with a sound knowledge of, and experience in agricultural trade development at national, regional and/or international level.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a team orientation and strong collaborative skills.
- Preferably a Ugandan national with previous experience with Government, Regional Institutions, National Institutes, Private sector, NGOs and International institutions.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the job reference number (job reference: APO-UG/07/2019) in the subject line of the application e-mail.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer