Location: Nairobi, Kenya.
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is driving an agricultural transformation agenda within the context of increased impact of climate change and stressed ecosystems. Since 2015 there has been marked increase in the number of food insecure people on the continent largely due to climate variability and shifting weather systems. These changes have affected everyone but more so (disproportionately) women and youth who face declining livelihood options. Therefore, AGRA’s strategy seeks to sustainably increase agricultural productivity and profitability, promoting strategies that empower farmers to respond to environmental variability, adapt to and mitigate against the impacts of climate change; and foster prudent and sustainable management of natural resources.
It is in this regard that AGRA and its strategic partners has developed, and are in the process of implementing a project, in Kenya, on the promotion of regenerative agriculture practices as a resilience building and (climate change) adaptation and mitigation measure; and also as a means to generate an evidence base for the promotion of regenerative and circular-economy practices in agriculture development. This is a two-year initiative that will be implemented in Makueni and Embu counties with a focus on generating, documenting and dissemination of lessons, identification of critical success factors and risks as well as the development of a roadmap for the implementation of regenerative and climate smart agriculture at scale. The project will support development/strengthening of institutional arrangements for public-private extension services (village-based advisors (VBAs) to enhance linkages with service providers in areas of finance; and input and output markets.
To support the implementation of this project, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Associate Program Officer, Regenerative and Climate Smart Agriculture.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Reporting to the Resilience Officer, the Associate Program Officer will be responsible for ensuring effective implementation and fostering integration of Regenerative and Climate Smart practices in agriculture systems in the two counties in Kenya. The officer will further ensure the generation and documentation of evidence-based data and information that will be used by decision-makers in both the public and private sectors for increased investments in regenerative agriculture.
The Associate Programme Officer will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the project, provision of technical leadership and support on climate smart and regenerative agriculture.
Through implementing partners, the officer will provide guidance and technical assistance in implementing and monitoring the project to its full extent of ensuring project outputs are met, policy advice and institutional engagement at county and national level, development of strategic partnerships at all levels and the development of knowledge products. This is a Nairobi-based position and the incumbent is expected to work in collaboration with other team members in AGRA to realize the overall goal of the building resilience into agriculture and food systems.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Resilience Officer, the Country Manager and members of the Programme Development and Innovations team to implement and manage the Regenerative Agriculture project
- Generation and documentation of evidence and case studies on key success and failure factors in the promotion and implementation of regenerative agriculture practices as a resilience building strategy in agriculture transformation;
- Mobilise and manage partnerships for the implementation of the project
- Manage the grant making process
- Monitor and report on grant implementation
- Ensure compliance to donor reporting requirements and attainment of project milestones
- Provide technical backstopping to the project, and AGRA in general, on the CSA and regenerative practices in agriculture at both upstream and downstream levels.
Key Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum seven (7) years working in agriculture development, climate change, and or environmental management
- Experience working in arid and semi-arid areas is an added advantage
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in Environmental management, Climate Change, Agriculture, Development, Economics, Sustainable development and or Livelihoods development or related disciplines with an interest in Agriculture development in Africa;
- Demonstrate exemplary management and leadership achievements
- Experience working with smallholder farmers, farmer groups and cooperatives and SMEs in capacity building, value addition, agribusiness finance and marketing of agri-produce in Kenya.
- A good understanding and appreciation of the gender and youth themes in agriculture
- Technical expertise in regenerative, climate smart agriculture and or natural resources management in agriculture
- Experience in project management, budgeting and implementation
- Demonstrate active and current knowledge of initiatives in the private and/or public sector on social and economic development (in agricultural development will be an added advantage) at national, regional and/or international level;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizing, negotiation, influencing and advisory/coaching skills.
- Flexible to take on additional responsibilities as assigned/delegated.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received by 24th February 2020.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer