Associate Partnerships Officer, AGRF (Job Reference: APO-AGRF/01/2019)
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
Background of the African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF):
Established in 2010, the African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) is considered the world’s most important and impactful forum for African agriculture, pulling together stakeholders in the agricultural landscape to take practical actions and share lessons that will move African agriculture forward. It is a unique multi-disciplinary forum where delegates discuss and commit to programs, investments, and policies that can counter the major challenges affecting the agriculture sector on the continent.
The AGRF Partners Group is currently made up of a coalition of 21 leading actors in African agriculture, including the African Union Commission (AUC), the African Development Bank, the African Fertilizer and Agribusiness Partnership (AFAP), the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Corteva, the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Grow Africa, the International Development Research Center (IDRC) of Canada, the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), the Mastercard Foundation, NEPAD Agency, OCP Group, the Rockefeller Foundation, SACAU, Syngenta, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), UPL, the US Agency for International Development (USAID), and Yara International ASA. The Chair of the AGRA Board also serves as Chair of the AGRF Partners Group and the AGRF Secretariat is hosted by AGRA on behalf of partners.
AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Associate Partnerships Officer, AGRF.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel, approximately 20-25% per month.
The Associate Partnerships Officer, AGRF provides support to the strategic management and proactive implementation of the Forum, driving components of the AGRF work plan and action agenda to deliver on the Forum’s strategy and ensure it continuously strengthens its position as the premier platform for Africa’s agricultural agenda. The Associate Partnerships Officer serves as an active liaison with relevant internal stakeholders within AGRA, external stakeholders in the AGRF Partners Group, and a broader set of potential sponsors, technical partners, and aligned stakeholders to deliver priorities of the AGRF work plan. S/he plays a primary role in building and managing partnerships with the AGRF Partners and other stakeholders to maximize their engagement in the forum and in a way that is well-coordinated with AGRA more broadly. S/he works with the Head of AGRF and other team members to ensure thematic platforms are delivering on the multi-year strategic vision and action plans of the Forum. S/he is also responsible in supporting the Head of AGRF for ongoing knowledge management, communications, and resource mobilization around the platform to ensure it maximizes its impact and is fully funded, working in coordination with AGRA’s Knowledge Management, Communications, Partnerships and Development Cooperation units as appropriate.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Support to AGRF partner engagement and management
- Support to Head of AGRF in preparing, implementing, and following up on AGRF Partners meetings and calls throughout the year (at least every two months).
- Support to the Head of AGRF in key events and meetings to engage the Host Government and partners, including the AGRF launch, Local Organizing Committee Meetings, and other engagements as required.
- Prepare draft updates and reports for the Head of AGRF to share with all Partners on forum’s key activities, progress, and requests.
- Bilateral partner engagement where appropriate to strengthen and maintain relationships with AGRF partners and stakeholders.
Support to strengthen the AGRF partnership platform and its impact on the sector
- Support the Head of AGRF in driving and tracking progress on activities for the implementation of Thematic Platforms and Thematic Working Groups.
- Support the development and consolidation of AGRF’s knowledge management system and knowledge products.
- Work with AGRF Communications and service providers on key communications and advocacy deliverables and routine newsletters.
- Work with the Head of AGRF and other AGRA leadership to position AGRF in the African landscape to amplify its agenda through other events and communications during the year (e.g. WEF, WEF Africa, AU, CAADP Partner Platform meeting, etc…)
Support to AGRF partner cultivation and resource mobilization
- Develop pitches and support outreach to potential AGRF partners and sponsors.
- Work with the Head of AGRF and AGRA leadership across the institution to secure new partnerships that strengthen the Forum and its long-term financial sustainability.
- Support compliance with AGRF Partner contracts and prepare and submit deliverables to Partners as required.
Support to AGRF operations and budget management
- Work with the Head of AGRF on annual work plan development, monitoring, and updates during the year.
- Work with the Head of AGRF, Finance, and the Development Cooperation Unit on overall budget forecasting and updates to Management.
- Support Head of AGRF in contracting processes and management for AGRF.
- Work with the AGRF Executive Officer and operations units as needed to secure key contracts for the Forum.
Key Qualifications and Experience required:
- First degree in Management, Public Administration, Communications or any relevant field.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- At least 3 years of post-qualification experience in managing complex conferences and events like AGRF.
- Ability to work with donors as well as manage and build strategic donor relations; sound understanding of the donor financing landscape and processes.
- Experience working in teams and managing processes that are dependent on multiple actors.
- Experience working with a large multinational development agency in a coordination role (especially in events) is an advantage.
- Proficiency in the use of standard computer software applications.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the job reference number (job reference: APO-AGRF/01/2019) in the subject line of the application e-mail.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer