Job Reference FIN/AFO/ 06/2018
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Associate Finance Officer – Financial Accounting.
Reporting to the Finance Controller, the role will be responsible for supporting the implementation of and adherence to the financial policies and procedures, control and systems in accordance with AGRA and donor regulations. The position is open to Kenya nationals and will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Accruing of Invoices
- Receive supplier’s invoices and staff claims and check for completeness and accuracy, ensure all necessary support documents are attached, code, analyze, input accurately in the system and circulate for approval
- Tracking of invoices
- Ensure that suppliers invoices are scanned and attached to the accruals in Navision Serenic after processing in the system
- Resolve invoice discrepancies with operations and suppliers
- Correspond and communicate with vendors and respond to inquiries
- VAT application, tracking and reversals
- Device an organized mechanism for storage and retrieval of electronic and physical records
- Ensure documents are scanned, filed and archived on a weekly basis.
Staff Accounts Administration
- Accrual of staff benefits in a timely and accurate manner; post in to the system and ensure approval
- Recording of travel expense claim and workshop accountabilities
- Ensure advances are accounted for as per policies
- Reconcile receivables and ensure any aged receivables are highlighted and followed up for collection
- Maintain trackers to ensure that benefits are processed when they are due
- Ensure all assets are tagged and updated with the tag numbers in the fixed assets register on a monthly basis for all additions.
- Review all additions and disposals of equipment and maintain a record of relevant documents on a monthly basis.
- Ensure accurate and consistent amortization as per AGRA policies
- Ensure annual physical verification of fixed assets and reconciliation to the assets register.
- Report any discrepancies between the physical count and the register and ensure they are harmonized.
- Providing information for insurance purposes, disposal, loss or damage from the financial records
- Prepare and submit monthly status reports/schedules relating to payables/fixed assets/prepayments/vendors and Withholding Tax by the 9th day of each month
- Prepare payables and receivable aging analysis together with supporting commentaries in time for book closure.
- Assist in preparation of IRS reports for USA and, local tax and statutory returns
- Prepare a schedule of fixed assets movements on a monthly basis
- Update and prepare weekly performance report
- Assist in preparation of payroll and reconcile to the books
- Perform bank reconciliations and resolve any outstanding issues
- Any monthly cut off reports and schedules.
- Assist in preparation for audits and review of various accounts’ balances including fixed assets, control accounts, payables and receivables.
- Provide direct support in the financial audit process, especially in furnishing of required information to audit questions that may arise, in relation to suppliers, accruals, customers and fixed assets.
Facilitation of cash disbursements process
- Gather all requests for cash from requestors on a daily basis
- Prepare summary and payment requisition and payment vouchers
- Receive documents of payout and deposits and record them in the system
- Maintain proper record of all returns
Key Qualifications and Experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Accounting, Finance or related field
- Professional accounting qualification- CPA, ACCA or similar qualification
- Previous working experience with ERP is a must. Hands on experience with Serenic/Navigator Software will be an added advantage
- Excellent command of computer software including MS Excel, MS Word, and accounting packages.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in finance and accounting
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a large and busy organisation
- Ability to work independently in a diverse environment
- Experience in working with similar organizations or institutions will be an added advantage.
- Strong ability to influence positively both upwards and downwards.
- Highly organized, results and detail orientated with a very hands-on approach.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of the email.
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 20th June, 2018.
For more information on AGRA, please can visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer