Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Associate Finance Officer – Financial Accounting.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Reporting to the Finance Officer, the Associate Finance Officer- Financial Accounting will maintain financial records, analyze the balance sheet while performing general ledger accounting and scheduling. S/he will prepare special reports and undertake special projects and assignments as s/he interacts with both internal and external customers.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be the focal point for incoming invoices, maintain a proper tracking mechanism and provide preliminary assessment of completeness of invoice support documentation.
- Lodge all VAT exemptions 30 days after booking of vendor invoices
- Produce monthly reconciliation report of VAT exemption applications with the relevant balances inputted in the books of accounts.
- Process staff advance requests, staff are furnished with the same 24 hours prior to travel and manage the day-to-day operations of the outsourced petty cash office.
- Approve accountabilities for advances 48 hours after staff have submitted all the relevant documents and approvals. Pass necessary transactions in staff accounts and apply accountabilities against advances.
- Provide support to the Finance Officer to ensure staff account balances are sent and responded to in a timely manner.
- All payments have adequate supporting documents and that all the necessary authorization has been obtained for all payments.
- Reconcile receivables and ensure any aged receivables are highlighted and followed up for collection.
- Work with filing consultants to ensure documents are scanned and filed in a logical manner and coordinate retrieval of physical/soft copy as requested.
- Issuance and surrender of debit and credit cards to qualifying staff while ensuring exiting staff surrender their cards and confirm the same with the relevant banks.
- Custodian of cheque books and ordering of new ones as per agreed timelines.
- Liaising with the Finance Officer- Treasury in regularly monitoring all bank balances and foreign exchange rates as well as collaborating with our bankers for optimal benefit for AGRA.
- Participate in preparation for external audits and review of various account balances, schedules and submitting all relevant information to the auditors in a timely and accurate manner.
Key Qualifications and Experience required:
- A Bachelors degree in accounting of finance.
- Full CPA qualification will be an added advantage.
- Strong analytical and data mining ability.
- Understanding of financial auditing requirements.
- Computer proficiency in ERP, Excel, Powerpoint and other office tools.
- A minimum of 5 years’ successful experience in accounting, finance and financial monitoring with good working knowledge of global, country/government accounting standards.
- Demonstrated ability in working with finance and reporting standards and guidelines.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to email@example.com. Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received by 27th February 2019.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer