Nanyuki, Kenya – Job Reference: PO/LISTEN/12/2020
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
Under its strategy, AGRA looks to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA is delivering through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
It is in this regard that AGRA in collaboration with SNV and FCDC has developed and is in the process of implementing a project, in Kenya – “Laikipia, Isiolo, Samburu Transforming the Environment through the agriculture and water Nexus (LISTEN). The project seeks to contribute to the goal of enhancing resilience of food and nutrition security, and water systems in the three selected Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASAL) counties.
To support this initiative, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Agriculture & Water Resources Management Specialist.
AGRA therefore seeks to recruit an Agriculture & Water Resources Management Specialist to serve as the project officer responsible for the day-to-day management and provision of technical leadership on the LISTEN project. Reporting directly to the Kenya Country Manager, the Project Officer has the responsibility of ensuring effective implementation of the AGRA-led components in this consortium project. In collaboration with SNV and FCDC, the project officer will provide guidance and technical assistance in implementing and monitoring the project to its full extent of ensuring project outputs are met, policy advice and institutional engagement at county and national level, development of strategic partnerships at all levels and the development of knowledge products are undertaken. The specialist will operate from the project office in Nanyuki, in Laikipia County. He/she is expected to work in collaboration with other Consortium team members to realise the overall goal of building resilience into agriculture and food systems.
The role will be based in Nanyuki, Kenya with frequent travel to project areas in Samburu and Isiolo Counties.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify key stakeholders and organisations across the (smallholder) agriculture and water sectors to work with AGRA’s Kenya Country Manager, the country team experts and operations staff, Resilience Officer and members of the Program Innovations and Delivery (PID) team to implement and manage the LISTEN project as part of the AGRA Kenya Business Plan.
- Generation and documentation of evidence and case studies on the concept of agriculture and water nexus management for enhancing resilience of food, nutrition and water security in the three selected agriculture landscapes in Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASAL) counties.
- Manage partnerships, monitor and report on implementation status of the LISTEN project
- In partnership with the consortium members, manage the implementation, monitoring and reporting of the project
- Ensure compliance to donor requirements and attainment of project milestones.
- Provide technical support to the project, and AGRA in general, on resilience, food, water and nutrition security at both national and county government levels.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in Agriculture, Environmental Management/Natural Resources Management, Climate Change, Development, Sustainable Development, Water Resources Management or related disciplines with an interest in agriculture development in Africa.
- Minimum seven (7) years working in agriculture development, climate change, water management and or environmental management.
- Experience working in arid and semi-arid areas is an added advantage.
- Demonstrate exemplary management and leadership achievements.
- Experience working with smallholder farmers, farmer groups and cooperatives and SMEs in capacity building, value addition, agribusiness finance and marketing of agri-produce in Kenya.
- A good understanding and appreciation of the gender and youth inclusivity in agriculture.
- Expertise in resilience, climate smart agriculture and or natural resources management in agriculture.
- Experience in project management, work plan development, budgeting, implementation and reporting.
- Demonstrate active and current knowledge of initiatives in the private and/or public sector in agricultural development at national, regional and/or international level.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent partnership, organizing, negotiation, influencing and advisory/coaching skills.
- Flexible to take on additional responsibilities as assigned/delegated.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to email@example.com noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 29th December, 2020.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer