Project Coordinator, IFAD Grant (Ethiopia, Malawi & Mozambique)
Job Reference: PCI12/2017
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA has received a Grant from IFAD, its strategic partner to address the challenge of linking new crop varieties and improved soil fertility management research outputs to smallholder beneficiaries of IFAD-supported projects in Ethiopia, Malawi and Mozambique. Specifically, it will: (i) promote and disseminate improved seed and soil fertility technologies, and (ii) generate and share knowledge. To support this strategic partnership, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Project Coordinator.
The Project Coordinator will be responsible for the coordination and management of grant-making within the IFAD Project which is covering three countries: Ethiopia, Malawi & Mozambique. The incumbent will assist the Program Officer in-charge of the Project in the development and refinement of project proposals and grant memos for sub-grants in order to ensure that these documents are well-prepared in advance for submission to the Grants Unit and the Grants Committee. The Project Coordinator will also assist the Program Officer with management of the sub-grants in liaison with AGRA country teams and in regard to internal and external communications to ensure the running of a cohesive, coherent project, and provide regular updates through reports or meetings. The project coordinator will also assist the Program Officer compile project reports and presentations to the donor, for AGRA meetings and meetings with other partners. The Project Coordinator will be a liaison between AGRA and IFAD Country teams. This position reports to the Program Officer and works closely with other project staff. The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage sub-grants and the overall project implementation
• Assist in developing and reviewing proposals and drafting grant memos for review by the Program Officer.
• Work with AGRA country teams to assist in the management of sub-grantees.
• Provide technical backstopping of sub-grants in liaison with AGRA Program Development & Innovation teams.
• Maintain an up-to-date record of project technical and financial reports.
• Monitor projects implementation progress and do the necessary follow with the sub-grantees.
• Draft technical and financial reports for the donor.
• Develop guidelines for proposal submission and for responses to inquiries and screen, direct, and follow through on all grant-related enquiries as appropriate.
• Assist the Grants Unit in making all necessary changes in grant memos and proposals following review by the Grants Committee.
• Represent the Program Officer at meetings with IFAD Country Teams, sub-grantees and provide a formal written report.
• Upon request by the Program Officer, write and disseminate reports of meetings to enhance information flow and sharing among project staff.
• Assist with research, knowledge management and evaluation activities of the project.
• Excellent management and direct communication skills: written, verbal, and presentation.
• Must be able to work independently with little supervision, but also serve as a facilitator of other people’s work and function as a strong team member.
• Strong analytical skills and the ability to translate analysis into clear concise written text.
• Strong problem-solving skills and a motivation to improve policies and procedures systematically.
• Excellent organizational skills, commitment to accuracy and to maintaining a timely and efficient work flow, and extremely detail-oriented with the ability to work under pressure.
• Excellent interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact and patience.
• Ability to multi-task and to prioritize work amidst competing demands.
• Ability to motivate staff through effective leadership, mentoring, coaching, development, facilitation, evaluation and rewards.
• Commitment to AGRA’s mission and core values.
• M.Sc. graduate in agriculture, especially in crop breeding, soil science, extension or rural development.
• At least 5 years’ experience in project management
• Outstanding writing skills.
• Able to travel rural Africa.
• Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written) a must.
• A minimum of three years’ experience in grant making.
• Computer proficiency and familiarity with a range of software applications including word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to email@example.com noting to quote the job reference number.
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 27th December, 2017.
For more information on AGRA, please can visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer